Poll: Is Galaxy’s Edge Great(and a success)?

Is Galaxy’s Edge Great (and a success)?

• Yes to both

Votes: 54 32.5%
  • No to both

Votes: 40 24.1%
  • Yes to great, no to success

Votes: 19 11.4%
  • No to great, yes to success

Votes: 53 31.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

UNCgolf

Smugglers run needs more stories, it was fun the first few times but got repetitive really fast?

We do Rise every trip, and still do Star Tours nearly every trip, but have only done Smugglers once since the parks reopened.

It has a ton of potential but if they are going to just stick to the one story we’ll keep skipping it.

It should have opened with at least two, and preferably 3 or 4.

I won't be holding my breath for a bunch of additions, though. A 5 minute CGI video isn't cheap, and Smugglers Run is more than just video since it's technically a game that's tracking input from multiple users. I think creating a completely new video for Flight of Passage would be much cheaper/easier than creating one for Smuggler's Run.

They may have to eventually, but even then I think it's more likely everything would switch to the new one 100% rather than it being randomized. The preshow would potentially be an issue otherwise -- they could make every mission about roughly the same thing to sidestep that, but more variety would be better.

Last edited:

Andrew25

SWGE is not a great land... but it is 100% successful. Even though the milk is atrocious, people still buy them. They sell hundreds of expensive lightsabers/souvenirs priced $200+ each day. Oga's is constantly booked and selling $15+ drinks.

That's why Disney is reluctant to introduce entertainment into the land - why spend money on actors when the land is proving to be a financial success?

Mr. Tux

Original Poster
We have never seen the immersion we were promised in the presentations. Rather than it being a maze of shops and Out door food we got something that's just too polished and spread out. We were also shown a rather fancy eat in restaurant and a well themed bar with animatronics and live actors which we have also not seen. Honestly for everything it was presented to be, it lacks soul. I was much more impressed with Pandora if I'm being honest.
Some of the stuff you’re talking about was just concept art, it was never “promised”. You also should realize that these things cost a lot, (though they should have at least kept the free roaming droids as they have the tech to do it and some substantial original trilogy presence) the land cost about $1 billion. And it is to some extent “a maze of shops and Out door food” as it has places like Ronto, the bazaar, and the milk stand. People just don’t like it because they don’t appreciate creative innovation and want the same old thing, which will kill Hollywood and Cinema.

Mr. Tux

Original Poster
I think it kinda ... sucks, because it isn't in any of the movies. But Rise of the Resistance is such an awesome ride it makes up for it a bit.
Rise is the best in the industry (Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey has serious story pacing issues) but like I said earlier some people just want the same old thing. If Disney doesn’t innovate, someone else will (and this land was made for the next generation of Star Wars fans, namely the ones who grew up with the sequels).

Vegas Disney Fan

The fact it's no longer a contender at Disney Studios Paris says everything.
This is a good point, if it were the home run they expected they would be scrambling to put it in other parks, the fact people are even debating whether Pandora or another theme would be a better use of that expansion pad says a lot.

I think Star Wars is just a hard theme to pull off, because so much happens in space it doesn’t have huge iconic locations like Diagonal Alley or Hogsmeade that you can build an entire land around. Galaxy’s edge is beautiful and awe inspiring but it doesn’t have the same emotional connection as walking into Hogsmeade.

Fox&Hound

I said not great but a success:

1. Rise is an incredible experience, but has major issues that keep it from working consistently. That needs to be addressed.
2. As many have said, more walk around characters would be an easy improvement. It would add the kinetic energy that seems missing.
3. Smugglers was a big miss for me. Unless you are the pilot the story wants you to spend time staring at flashing buttons and you miss 90% of what is happening outside. Boo to that...
4. I think if the sequel trilogy was a success all the way through (looking at you, Rise of Skywalker) then the land would play out differently. Yes, they made money but those movies were such an inconsistent mess of a story that they became a hot mess towards the end. I can't help but feel that colors how many view the land.

I think by adding walk around characters, a sit down restaurant, and an additional ride would go a long way. And maybe a ride/experience for the smallest Star Wars fans would be a win.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I won't be holding my breath for a bunch of additions, though. A 5 minute CGI video isn't cheap, and Smugglers Run is more than just video since it's technically a game that's tracking input from multiple users.

The guest inputs hardly rise above "slappa da buttons" to influence the outcome cinematics.

UNCgolf

The guest inputs hardly rise above "slappa da buttons" to influence the outcome cinematics.

I agree it's minor compared to an actual video game, but it still makes a big difference in cost compared to a straight video (which isn't cheap either). My guess is a new mission for MFSR would cost over a million dollars.

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

Was it just our meals or did they switch out the sausage for the Ronto Wrap to a plain hot dog? Tasted terrible last week. If I want a hot dog, I'll go to Casey's.
I said similar after having one at DL last weekend, my impression was they’d changed (or maybe even forgot) the peppercorn sauce though, the wrap was dry and lacked any flavor at all, horribly bland.

I was very disappointed since it’s usually one of my favorite items in the park.

UNCgolf

Adding missions to sm needs to be a priority. It's a videogame with 6 people sharing a controller....Jesus just get it done already

Because of the costs involved, I doubt they'll even consider doing it until the ride stops having long waits. Why would they spend the money otherwise?

Animaniac93-98

The fact it's no longer a contender at Disney Studios Paris says everything.

Here's an interesting hypothetical; if Galaxy's Edge wasn't built and copied simultaneously for both American resorts, what would have changed? Would it have been a DHS exclusive? Would it have been smaller because they couldn't use the excuse of splitting development costs between two parks?

MickeyCB

Some of the stuff you’re talking about was just concept art, it was never “promised”. You also should realize that these things cost a lot, (though they should have at least kept the free roaming droids as they have the tech to do it and some substantial original trilogy presence) the land cost about $1 billion. And it is to some extent “a maze of shops and Out door food” as it has places like Ronto, the bazaar, and the milk stand. People just don’t like it because they don’t appreciate creative innovation and want the same old thing, which will kill Hollywood and Cinema.
I think it's fabulous but they really missed the mark on size. All stores, eating areas etc. while themed are way too small to be functional.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom