PO French Quarter or Riverside?

amfpv

We're planning a trip over Thanksgiving. We've heard that the rooms in Riverside are looking pretty worn. They say FQ was renovated in the last year or so. Any advice?

We stayed at the FQ in Dec 2005. Rooms were nice. We had a great location....right near the food court, etc. Our room was large but that may be because they put us in a handicap room. The shower was a walk in, no tub and the room seemed large. It was also a corner room so maybe that had something to do with it. Mousekeeping was great. They left towel animals nearly every day of our stay. It was also nice to have a refrigerator in our room. We're trying out Riverside in September. I wish I could report on Riverside but we haven't been there yet.

Have a great time:sohappy:

Upvote 0

RonAnnArbor

Do a search for the exact same topic and you will find lots and lots of opinions and posts. None of the rooms in either resort are run down or problematic. Both resorts are wonderful -a nd you can walk back and forth between the two. The rooms are laid out the same in both resorts. Because French Quarter tends to cater to more adults than families with young kids, the rooms are somewhat better kept up. In many ways, the size and layout of the rooms in French Quarter rivals most of the luxury resorts. The amentities are NOT as good as those at Riverside -- i.e. no on-site restaurant, boat rentals, etc. You need to walk over to Riverside for those. I used to try different resorts every time I went - and now, I will never stay anywhere but French Quarter.

Do a search and you will find adament supporters of each of the resorts and get many many opinions.

Upvote 0

monorailguy01

I stayed at the FQ in May of this year and I thought it was great... everything was in walking distance, unlike RS where is a loooongg walk to everyything, the rooms were great, pool was nice, the lounge is nice if you like to have a drink late at night. and the bus system is great, it stopps at the FQ before RS so your getting a seat and not standing, there is only one bus stop where in RS there is a number of stops. Over all I would suggest stay at FQ is a small resort, so you dont have to walk forever to get somewhere.

Upvote 0

Roger321

French Quarter all the way

:p The French Quarter is really charming, especially at night. It has the feel of a small community, but is still an excellent location to the Epcot and the other parks. The river and accompanying boat rides to Downtown Disney are also quite enjoyable.

Upvote 0

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
Add me to the list of FQ all the way. I will be there in 7 days, 2 hours, and 20 minutes. The resort is very intimate, quiet, well-themed, and meticulously upkept. Riverside has the boat and bike rentals as well as the full service restaurant. However, there is a very loooong walk to pretty much everything and there are a bunch of bus stops.

Riverside guests are generally picked up after the FQ guests. If you are staying in one of the sections that is last to be visited, you stand a very good chance of doing just that. Standing. Since you are going around Thanksgiving, the parks are going to be crowded. The last thing you want is to spend all your bus rides hanging on for dear life. :lol:

The pool at FQ is very cool....and generally kind of kid free, even though it is wonderfully themed for kids. FQ definetly caters more to adults.

Whichever you pick, you will love it. It is Disney afterall!!! :lol:

Upvote 0

Dj Corona

The best way to stay at Riverside is to make sure you book a room at the Alligator Bayou buildings 14 or 15, I believe. That entire section is both close to the main building, as well as the main bus depot, so it cuts the walking to a minimum. Also, there are 2 usually less crowded and quieter pools on that side of the resort. Either way, enjoy!

Upvote 0

JEDIsney

This is great to hear.

Though I'm not the original poster, I extremely appreciate all of your responses.

We are staying at the French Quarter this October. I go with my best friend and her two parents. They have stayed there before, but this is my first time staying at the French Quarters. My best friend's mom says that it is also her favorite resort, and I take her word for how great it is, but I can't help but be worried.

Every time we stay at a new resort, I get worried that it won't be the same as the previous resorts we've stayed at, and that I won't really like it. Each resort has proved me wrong, thankfully, but I still can't help but feel worried.

Reading what everyone has wrote so far, I am feeling much better about our stay at the French Quarters coming up. Thank you all for reassuring me about the resort. I look foward to reading more great things about it. :wave:

Upvote 0

gary_flower

i vote riverside.
stayed there this year and it was SOOO good.
we normally stay at a the beach club but we went down abit se we could go twice. but the riverside was as nice as the beach club in a different way if that makes sence lol.

Upvote 0

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
This is great to hear.

Though I'm not the original poster, I extremely appreciate all of your responses.

We are staying at the French Quarter this October. I go with my best friend and her two parents. They have stayed there before, but this is my first time staying at the French Quarters. My best friend's mom says that it is also her favorite resort, and I take her word for how great it is, but I can't help but be worried.

Every time we stay at a new resort, I get worried that it won't be the same as the previous resorts we've stayed at, and that I won't really like it. Each resort has proved me wrong, thankfully, but I still can't help but feel worried.

Reading what everyone has wrote so far, I am feeling much better about our stay at the French Quarters coming up. Thank you all for reassuring me about the resort. I look foward to reading more great things about it. :wave:

Dont worry. Many people who stay there never go back to anther resort again. I've been going to POFQ since it was built. Occasionally I will have the money to stay at a deluxe, but if I dont POFQ is the only place I will consider. I will never step foot in another All Star again. I like Carribean Beach, but it is just too big. Therefore, POFQ is my home away from home. :lol:

Upvote 0

tigger1968

Here's another vote for Riverside. We've stayed twice and loved it. Highly reccommend the Alligator Bayous. We enjoy the seclusion and quiet you get there. The main pool is great, plus there are smaller pools throughout. The restaurant is nice as well. All in all we just enjoy the setting that Riverside offers.

Upvote 0

Lucky

Add me to the list of FQ all the way. I will be there in 7 days, 2 hours, and 20 minutes. The resort is very intimate, quiet, well-themed, and meticulously upkept. Riverside has the boat and bike rentals as well as the full service restaurant. However, there is a very loooong walk to pretty much everything and there are a bunch of bus stops.

Riverside guests are generally picked up after the FQ guests. If you are staying in one of the sections that is last to be visited, you stand a very good chance of doing just that. Standing. Since you are going around Thanksgiving, the parks are going to be crowded. The last thing you want is to spend all your bus rides hanging on for dear life. :lol:

The pool at FQ is very cool....and generally kind of kid free, even though it is wonderfully themed for kids. FQ definetly caters more to adults.

Whichever you pick, you will love it. It is Disney afterall!!! :lol:

Thanks for the info, Tiggerific. We'll be arriving at POFQ a few hours after you. It won't be kid-free once we're there. We liked CB but decided to try another moderate for variety, and the photos of the pool at POFQ looked especially nice to the kids.

Upvote 0

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
Thanks for the info, Tiggerific. We'll be arriving at POFQ a few hours after you. It won't be kid-free once we're there. We liked CB but decided to try another moderate for variety, and the photos of the pool at POFQ looked especially nice to the kids.

*Runs and hides* :lol: :lol: :lol:

The kids will love the pool. Who doesnt love sliding down a serpents tounge? (I do! I do!)

Upvote 0

BRER STITCH

FRENCH QUARTER ALL THE WAY!!! :sohappy:

I know both resorts are good, but there's something about the smaller size of POFQ and the awesome landscaping/environment that really make it feel like more of a vacation to me of the two choices.

I also like the Food Court and nightly entertainment better at FQ, and the awesome General Store at Riverside is still only a short walk or boat ride away.

I think POFQ is the best of both worlds, because you can stay in a small resort, but have access to the restaurant and rental facilities of the larger Riverside. The boat to Downtown Disney is also a major "plus" that they both have over the other resorts!

HAVE FUN!

:wave:

Upvote 0

darthokeefe

I just feel Riverside is more of an resort feel...Better food Ct, Lounge and Resturaunt, marina, multiple pools and rentals. FQ is like a big holiday inn with a nice pool. Just my two cents

Upvote 0

JEDIsney

Dont worry. Many people who stay there never go back to anther resort again. I've been going to POFQ since it was built. Occasionally I will have the money to stay at a deluxe, but if I dont POFQ is the only place I will consider. I will never step foot in another All Star again. I like Carribean Beach, but it is just too big. Therefore, POFQ is my home away from home. :lol:
FRENCH QUARTER ALL THE WAY!!! :sohappy:

I know both resorts are good, but there's something about the smaller size of POFQ and the awesome landscaping/environment that really make it feel like more of a vacation to me of the two choices.

I also like the Food Court and nightly entertainment better at FQ, and the awesome General Store at Riverside is still only a short walk or boat ride away.

I think POFQ is the best of both worlds, because you can stay in a small resort, but have access to the restaurant and rental facilities of the larger Riverside. The boat to Downtown Disney is also a major "plus" that they both have over the other resorts!

HAVE FUN!

:wave:

Thank you both for your exciting, helpful, and reassuring input! :wave:

Upvote 0

Astronaut Jones

I stayed at the Riverside about a year and half ago. That wasn't very long ago and I certainly wouldn't describe the rooms as worn down. I've stayed at both and I think you'll be happy with either decision. Although, I believe the Carribean Beach is the same price and I would recommend that one over the fore-mentioned.

Upvote 0

I luv WDW

French Quarter

Riverside rooms are OK, but the resort is really spread out, a lot of walking. FQ is more compact, easier to get around. Besides, the buses always stop first at FQ, both going to the parks and coming back, which is great after a long day! Either way, you can't go wrong, but to us, FQ is our first choice.

Next WDW Trip: Nov. 23-29, Port Orleans French Quarter:xmas:

Upvote 0

RonAnnArbor

As I stated in my original response, FQ is the only resort I stay at anymore. But it is definately not geared toward kids, and there is nothing to do there for the 15 - 17 year old crowd. Which is why I particularly love it -- but the boat to DD is the absolute highlight of my trip each time I go.

Upvote 0

frankieandsean

Honeymoon Hints?

My fiance and I are staying at FQ in October for our honeymoon. If anyone has any tips or helpful information it would be appreciated. This is our first time staying on property at Disney so any other general tips like whether or not to take the bus or drive our car around the world would also be greatly appreciated! :veryconfu Kind Regards, Sean and Frankie :wave: 67 days left! yay!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom