Pleasure Island Changes

jmuboy

Original Poster
So what's the status with changes to Pleasure Island? In this economy I can't imagine it's going to be easy to fill all that dead space.

Some of the changes we have heard about are:
- Hot Air Balloon. Opening soon?
- South American food court. Is this still happening?
- Surf Shop. Was there a designer surf shop that was supposed open this year?
- Portobello Yacht Club. When does this renovation end? What's the new name?
- Bowling Alley. Is Lucky Strike still building a location here?

Any other rumors of changes coming to the island?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

NMBC1993

Yeah I don't think much will be happening to that area for awhile. They are still trying to get third party companies to sign up to have their shops and restaurants there, but in this economy no one dares open one. I don't blame them though, without PI Downtown Disney has really dropped in crowd attendance.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I thought the bowling alley was going in Wide World of Sports?

That was another project (tournament quality lanes), which is now on hold.

There is a long standing rumor that a recreation bowling facility could be built in Downtown Disney. Nothing solid has ever come out of this though.

GothMickey

There is a long standing rumor that a recreation bowling facility could be built in Downtown Disney. Nothing solid has ever come out of this though.

A bowling alley in DTD? I may like that. I could see that going over very well too.

DizneyPryncess

A bowling alley would be awesome. Every time I'm in Disney in March, we go to this random bowling alley that is a little far from where we stay. Having one on Disney property would be fun. Especially if it were a Lucky Strike - ours here went out of business.

Yeah I don't think much will be happening to that area for awhile. They are still trying to get third party companies to sign up to have their shops and restaurants there, but in this economy no one dares open one. I don't blame them though, without PI Downtown Disney has really dropped in crowd attendance.

For the first time ever, in all my trips to Disney, we went over to CityWalk for an evening instead of PI when we were down for the Marathon Weekend (which was my first trip since PI closed)...nothing to do there at PI anymore...

I imagine more people will be doing the same if they want to have some decent Adult-type entertainment...and before all you tea-totalers start going on about having fun without alcohol, etc., I'm talking about live music, karaoke, etc., not being able to drink.

NMBC1993

I imagine more people will be doing the same if they want to have some decent Adult-type entertainment...and before all you tea-totalers start going on about having fun without alcohol, etc., I'm talking about live music, karaoke, etc., not being able to drink.

I could care less about the live music and stuff, I just want a place to go to be entertained and have a drink...Ever since AC and CW closed, the only night life I've had is sitting at home with some beer and watching youtube videos. I really don't like bars; I loved the AC because it was a one of a kind place to get together with friends and share a laugh.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
For the first time ever, in all my trips to Disney, we went over to CityWalk for an evening instead of PI when we were down for the Marathon Weekend (which was my first trip since PI closed)...nothing to do there at PI anymore...

The irony is that there are still plenty of places at DTD where you can still get drunk. Nearly every restaurant there has a bar. But for live entertainment we are left with Raglan Rd, Bongos and a few street performers.

Club Cooloholic

Lucky Strike would be great! Especially if Disney allowed them to add some "magical" touches, maybe a Mickey instead of a Turkey?

Lee

Adventurer
The irony is that there are still plenty of places at DTD where you can still get drunk. Nearly every restaurant there has a bar. But for live entertainment we are left with Raglan Rd, Bongos and a few street performers.

grumblegrumblegrumble*opentheclubbackupyouidiots*grumblegrumblegrumble
:mad:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
grumblegrumblegrumble*opentheclubbackupyouidiots*grumblegrumblegrumble
:mad:
But then we would be entertained and that was apparently the problem....at least according to Disney. It is still OK for adults to get $%#@ faced but god forbid they view entertainment.:brick::brick::brick:

NMBC1993

But then we would be entertained and that was apparently the problem....at least according to Disney. It is still OK for adults to get $%#@ faced but god forbid they view entertainment.:brick::brick::brick:

No see, the entertainment wasn't "family friendly" enough, now if they built a bar playing Hannah Montana music 24/7 then it would be ok....and don't forget the merchandise cart at the exit:hammer:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
No see, the entertainment wasn't "family friendly" enough, now if they built a bar playing Hannah Montana music 24/7 then it would be ok....and don't forget the merchandise cart at the exit:hammer:
Well that would certainly encourage me to drink.:lol:

Lee

Adventurer
But then we would be entertained and that was apparently the problem....at least according to Disney.
Sigh....it pains me, it really does.
I was thinking, I'm gonna be up there in a couple weeks. Thinking about putting on my Save the Club shirt and just sitting on the front steps Fri. or Sat. night, looking miserable.
Maybe one of those nice managers in their PI button downs carrying trash grabbers will stop and chat. Give me a chance to vent...haven't vented at a Downtown Disney manager in a while. Doesn't help anything but makes me feel better.:eek:

wdwmemories

I was thinking, I'm gonna be up there in a couple weeks. Thinking about putting on my Save the Club shirt and just sitting on the front steps Fri. or Sat. night, looking miserable.

This sounds like a fun idea! At least we will ALL feel better! Please take a picture and post if if you decide to give it a go :)

NMBC1993

Maybe one of those nice managers in their PI button downs carrying trash grabbers will stop and chat. Give me a chance to vent...haven't vented at a Downtown Disney manager in a while. Doesn't help anything but makes me feel better.:eek:

I agree 100%, I'll be more then happy to sit on the steps with you...We'll order some pizza and when they ask where to deliver it to we'll say "Just head towards Downtown Disney and look for the empty part in the middle, you'll see us"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom