Please- No Flash Photography on Mine Train

donsullivan

Premium Member
Original Poster
This is what happens when you use flash photography in the mountain portion of Seven Dwarfs Mine Train- please don't do this!

I hate doing this with someone else image but I'm certainly never going to create one like this on my own. The photographer claims to have taken this shot during the media preview vs. with guests riding. This image came from
http://www.hypeorlando.com/in-the-s...-fulfills-its-promise-as-amazing-family-ride/ which I think is part of the Orlando Sentinel.

d3.jpg

Last edited:

sporadic

These people make fun subjects to capture. Like this guy at our daughter's dance recital constantly firing his pop-up flash off by my head... If I had a strobe with me I would've fired it at him full power a few times.

Attachments

• DSCF0295.JPG
    DSCF0295.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 243

matt9112

These people make fun subjects to capture. Like this guy at our daughter's dance recital constantly firing his pop-up flash off by my head... If I had a strobe with me I would've fired it at him full power a few times.

wow whats up with that guys facial expression?

PS a decent new 200 dollar point and shoot will be able to capture low light environments....the evolution of man....wearing a small child *caugh* (CAMERA) around your neck like G-UNIT might be less needed in the future....i hate them i really do....if i could travel in time i would ensure SLRs would never have evolved into the monstrosity...point is no flash needed these days due to technology.

PrincessNelly_NJ

UGH! Don't get me started on flash photos on rides!
A few weeks ago while riding the Little Mermaid... this assh*** :rolleyes: I mean young lady, obviously had her finger glued to the button on her camera... she took flash pictures of everything! Even the screens! None really bothered me too bad since they were behind us. But at the few points in the ride when two shells face each other... you would think she would stop... think again! She continued to take flash pictures, directly into my face.

I'm positive at least 10 of those 100+ pictures she kept taking include some not so nice hand gestures! :angelic:

joanna71985

This is what happens when you use flash photography in the mountain portion of Seven Dwarfs Mine Train- please don't do this!

I hate doing this with someone else image but I'm certainly never going to create one like this on my own. The photographer claims to have taken this shot during the media preview vs. with guests riding. This image came from
http://www.hypeorlando.com/in-the-s...-fulfills-its-promise-as-amazing-family-ride/ which I think is part of the Orlando Sentinel.

d3.jpg

Did you see the comment the author made about how photos don't come out "because of the technology"? Rubbish! You can get pictures just fine of their faces...if you don't use a flash

mousehockey37

I agree with those that say about the electronics meeting Davy Jones locker on Pirates!!!

Now I know it's not dark rides, but this will make you wonder... Did Disney come up with the glow with the show Mickey Ears to combat the sea of iPads, iPhones, Tablets, and other electronic screens that you see during the firework shows?

It's also fun to see the iPaders when they don't know the ride and they're trying to hang onto their stuff to save their lives while taking their flash photos because, yeah, there's no straps for those!!!

sporadic

wow whats up with that guys facial expression?

PS a decent new 200 dollar point and shoot will be able to capture low light environments....the evolution of man....wearing a small child *caugh* (CAMERA) around your neck like G-UNIT might be less needed in the future....i hate them i really do....if i could travel in time i would ensure SLRs would never have evolved into the monstrosity...point is no flash needed these days due to technology.

Yeah, dunno what was up with that. Got some crazy teeth whitening going on there! He was snapping fast as he could and kept chimping his pics. Very very annoying.

As for a cheap P&S being able to capture a dark ride or that recital environment, that's just not going to happen in the near future. You still need fast glass and larger less noisy sensors. I was shooting my 7D at ISO6400 (max native) with a 70-200 2.8 wide open and could barely get a shutter speed fast enough to stop action. Just don't want to get anyones hopes up that a cheap P&S will be able to capture the low light photos that proper DSLR or Mirrorless system will.

From last years recital, but same gear. 7D @ 6400, 2.8, 1/800. No flash of course.

IMG_6459
by smerrick, on Flickr

Oh, and something Disney related of course!!

IMG_6734
by smerrick, on Flickr

sporadic

On the flipside, flash is a very good thing in the proper environment. Which is not dark rides!!! Just a few examples and I'll get off my soap box :)

Fill flash outdoors - If this was taken without flash, either her face way be way underexposed or the background would be way overexposed. If you look carefully, you'll see the sun is hitting her from the right. I was hand holding my flash to the left. See the shadow under her chin? Her entire left face would've been that dark without flash.

IMG_6966
by smerrick, on Flickr

Another fill, this one on camera. Has a very natural feel. You can tell there was a flash as it lit up the inside of her mouth, lol.

IMG_6767
by smerrick, on Flickr

Bounced flash, overriding ambient light. I had it pointed straight up with a card strapped to the back to give some catch lights to the eyes. Was actually a photopass card and hair band that the photopass photographer gave to me. He was a great guy to chat with. This entire exposure is lit by flash as ambient was about 3 stops underexposed.

IMG_7111
by smerrick, on Flickr

Last one... Same setup as above, bounced straight up with a card strapped to throw a little light forward. This looks sooo much better than the one the photopass photog took with the flash firing straight forward and harsh shadows everywhere.

IMG_7155
by smerrick, on Flickr

Hope I didn't de-rail the thread.. I'll leave my soapbox with one more tidbit... Have a nice SLR or Mirrorless camera and shooting in auto? Want to get the most out of it? Go here and start - http://canonoutsideofauto.ca. It's a Canon site, but the principles apply to all cameras. Off soap box now!! :)

sporadic

Did you see the comment the author made about how photos don't come out "because of the technology"? Rubbish! You can get pictures just fine of their faces...if you don't use a flash

I noticed that comment and reply as well, lol
"Yes, I was taking flash photos, but no, I’m not one of those people (they drive me crazy too). This was an exclusive media event where all types of photos, including flash, were allowed and encouraged. No actual day guest riders were harmed in the making of my photos."

No guests may have been harmed, but her photos definitely were!

PolynesianPrincess

What is also annoying are people who feel the need to use an iPad to video the whole ride and all you can see is their screen all lit up. It's distracting from the attraction and I always make a comment to turn it off. ALWAYS. When we were in Disneyland last month, a girl who was traveling with us had her camera out on PotC and was taking pics with no flash but her little red light was going off before the pic would take. I told her to turn it off and she said she didn't know how. I told her to stop taking pictures then. She continued and I told her again to stop it. Not to mention her screen would light up to review the image after it was taken. I told her to turn that off too or she wouldn't be riding with us anymore. She complied. People either don't realize how distracting that can be or they do and just don't care. I use my DSLR on attractions but I use no flash and have my screen set up so it doesn't light up and show the picture on it afterwards. I have common courtesy for other guests, I guess.

I think I may have posted this in another thread like this but a girl I know, her younger sister has pretty severe epilepsy. They go to Disney multiple times a year and know what the young girl can and cannot ride. They were a dark ride, one the girl could go on, I think it was a boat ride of some sort and the girl next to them continuously kept taking flash photos and her flash was one of those burst ones where it flashes a bunch of times before it takes the actual photo. The young girls father asked her to please stop and she ignored him. He asked her again to stop and this time explained she had epilepsy and the flash in her face could cause a seizure and the girl STILL didn't listen. so the young girls mother leaned over and really laid into her and told her if she didn't stop, both her and her camera were going overboard. She stopped after that. I know most people don't have a condition that would cause them seizures over things like a few flash photos, but there are some that this could happen to.

sporadic

Tablets probably annoy me more than anything. Flash is usually because someone is just shooting full auto and doesn't really know how to turn it off. Granted they should know better and not take pictures at all if that's the case, but the people with their iPads are just flat out inconsiderate and not thinking at all. Thankfully, I've noticed its getting better at the events I've attended around here.

There was however, this one woman who had her cellphone with some super-duper wizbang motor drive mode, complete with 10fps simulated shutter sound. She was so proud of that thing at full volume. The rest of the crowd wasn't that bad and stayed towards the back for their iPad video needs. Last year it was just a sea of glowing LCDs up front.

Attachments

• DSCF0293.JPG
    DSCF0293.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 142
  • DSCF0294.JPG
    DSCF0294.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 138

DisneyGentleman

d3.jpg

It would be much more fun if there was a retro-reflective label in the background, only visible in the light of a flash which said something like:

"Fools use flashes"

Anyone have an urge to do a Kickstarter campaign to produce these stickers?

raymusiccity

What is also annoying are people who feel the need to use an iPad to video the whole ride and all you can see is their screen all lit up. It's distracting from the attraction and I always make a comment to turn it off. ALWAYS. When we were in Disneyland last month, a girl who was traveling with us had her camera out on PotC and was taking pics with no flash but her little red light was going off before the pic would take. I told her to turn it off and she said she didn't know how. I told her to stop taking pictures then. She continued and I told her again to stop it. Not to mention her screen would light up to review the image after it was taken. I told her to turn that off too or she wouldn't be riding with us anymore. She complied. People either don't realize how distracting that can be or they do and just don't care. I use my DSLR on attractions but I use no flash and have my screen set up so it doesn't light up and show the picture on it afterwards. I have common courtesy for other guests, I guess.

I think I may have posted this in another thread like this but a girl I know, her younger sister has pretty severe epilepsy. They go to Disney multiple times a year and know what the young girl can and cannot ride. They were a dark ride, one the girl could go on, I think it was a boat ride of some sort and the girl next to them continuously kept taking flash photos and her flash was one of those burst ones where it flashes a bunch of times before it takes the actual photo. The young girls father asked her to please stop and she ignored him. He asked her again to stop and this time explained she had epilepsy and the flash in her face could cause a seizure and the girl STILL didn't listen. so the young girls mother leaned over and really laid into her and told her if she didn't stop, both her and her camera were going overboard. She stopped after that. I know most people don't have a condition that would cause them seizures over things like a few flash photos, but there are some that this could happen to.

Good point, and an excellent opportunity for Disney to enforce a 'no flash photography' edict for all attractions. All it takes is one poor incident of someone actually experiencing a seizure due to rude guests taking flash photos. We don't allow flash photography at symphony halls or movie theaters, then why ruin the experience of the dark rides at Disney?

PolynesianPrincess

Good point, and an excellent opportunity for Disney to enforce a 'no flash photography' edict for all attractions. All it takes is one poor incident of someone actually experiencing a seizure due to rude guests taking flash photos. We don't allow flash photography at symphony halls or movie theaters, then why ruin the experience of the dark rides at Disney?

They don't allow photos of any kind during the shows on the Disney cruise line ships. It's printed on the navigator of the day and also the cruise director states it again before the show. Not just no flash photos, but no photography at all.

joanna71985

They don't allow photos of any kind during the shows on the Disney cruise line ships. It's printed on the navigator of the day and also the cruise director states it again before the show. Not just no flash photos, but no photography at all.

That makes me sad. They used to, but then stopped literally right before my first cruise (and I was really looking forward to shooting the shows) :cry:

Bocabear

If you are fiddling with your camera and taking pictures, you are not watching the show.
There are way too many people out there that do not know how to turn off their flash, or switch out of auto mode...and flash photography is dangerous to the performers...
So I can certainly understand that rule...

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
On the flipside, flash is a very good thing in the proper environment. Which is not dark rides!!! Just a few examples and I'll get off my soap box :)

Fill flash outdoors - If this was taken without flash, either her face way be way underexposed or the background would be way overexposed. If you look carefully, you'll see the sun is hitting her from the right. I was hand holding my flash to the left. See the shadow under her chin? Her entire left face would've been that dark without flash.

IMG_6966
by smerrick, on Flickr

Another fill, this one on camera. Has a very natural feel. You can tell there was a flash as it lit up the inside of her mouth, lol.

IMG_6767
by smerrick, on Flickr

Bounced flash, overriding ambient light. I had it pointed straight up with a card strapped to the back to give some catch lights to the eyes. Was actually a photopass card and hair band that the photopass photographer gave to me. He was a great guy to chat with. This entire exposure is lit by flash as ambient was about 3 stops underexposed.

IMG_7111
by smerrick, on Flickr

Last one... Same setup as above, bounced straight up with a card strapped to throw a little light forward. This looks sooo much better than the one the photopass photog took with the flash firing straight forward and harsh shadows everywhere.

IMG_7155
by smerrick, on Flickr

Hope I didn't de-rail the thread.. I'll leave my soapbox with one more tidbit... Have a nice SLR or Mirrorless camera and shooting in auto? Want to get the most out of it? Go here and start - http://canonoutsideofauto.ca. It's a Canon site, but the principles apply to all cameras. Off soap box now!! :)
Man, Awesome photos and thanks for the link. I have a cannon DSLR and enjoy learning the 8 million things it can do. The link will help.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom