Please- No Flash Photography on Mine Train

donsullivan

Premium Member
Original Poster
I just saw some photos posted on another website where the photographer used a flash inside the mountain on Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. No matter your desire to record your experience, please don't do this, your photos will look terrible with no facial imagery at all on the animatronics and you'll compromise the experience for everyone else on your train.

Because of the way the faces of the animatronics are created, using a flash will completely wipe out all of the facial features and turn them into a solid color surface with no imagery at all. The effect is too wonderful for it to be okay for folks to use flash in the mountain.

Update: See post #21 for yet another example of someone using a flash on the animatronics to see how horrible it looks when they do.

Last edited:

Kman101

Ugh. Flash photography on any indoor dark ride bugs me.

I get that sometimes the flash is on by accident, it's happened to me, but just ugh ... lol. Such a pet peeve of mine. I don't even usually photograph rides in general. I'd rather enjoy it than spending time trying to capture everything and get the perfect shot, but that's me. And if I do want to photograph a ride, I often ask if I can sit in the back so I don't bother those, as a lot of times I notice, at least in boat rides, I'm placed up front as I usually ride single.

G00fyDad

Saying this is about as useless as....
handerpants.jpg

People are still going to take washed out flash photos on dark rides as long as dark rides exist. I carry a focused led penlight and just continuously shine it in the person's eyes the entire ride if they do not stop using the flash after asked. I figure that if I am not going to be able to enjoy the ride anyway then I may as well make the best of my time. Most get really indignant and ed that I do this and want to know what my problem is. When I explain to them that they have the capability to turn off the flash on their camera they almost always say something like it not being their problem and they call me an a**hole. I tell them that I know I am, but that it must be like looking in a mirror because so is intentionally using a flash on a dark ride. The ones that tick me off the most are the ones with expensive rigs. You know for a fact that they know how to turn off the flash. On our last trip this twit in the seashell behind me on the Little Mermaid ride flashed his camera so many times that it was nearly giving people seizures. It looked like a strobe light at times. When the ride ended he was physically confronted by another guest who we could all hear yelling at the man during the ride to stop the flashes.

Slowjack

Yeah, if the camera flashes once, I let it go, but no one can claim they didn't know on the second flash. This is one of the negative side effects of digital photography. Back in the day, film cost money, developing cost money, flash bulbs cost money, etc. If you had a nice camera it ran on some obscure battery you could only get at one store in town. Point being, people chose their picture moments carefully. Of course, it's great that with a digital camera you can take a hundred shots in search of one good one, but some people seem obsessed with creating a complete photographic journal of their lives, or at least their vacations. It's like it doesn't actually happen unless it passes through a lens.

G00fyDad

It bugs me when people take photos and video anything. First, I do not like being in peoples recordings or photos and second it ruins the experience.

I typically hate being in others photos too if I can help it. I remember these two young girls this past October riding Kilimanjaro Safaris in front of my family and I. They kept taking picture after picture of that stupid duck face and peace sign. (God, I hate that) and finally I figured that I would photobomb every picture they took of themselves. They must have snapped a good 20 pictures before they began to review them. I am in each one doing the same duck face and peace sign that they were. My family and the family behind me were laughing so hard.

Last edited:

Simba062711

My husband and I had someone in our boat taking flash photos on POTC. We were annoyed but my husband got angry when they turned around and the flash was right in our eyes. My husband basically told them if they didn't stop with the flash the camera would end up in the water. They turned the flash off. ;)

JOY KILL

MissM

My husband and I had someone in our boat taking flash photos on POTC. We were annoyed but my husband got angry when they turned around and the flash was right in our eyes. My husband basically told them if they didn't stop with the flash the camera would end up in the water. They turned the flash off. ;)
Guy in the row in front of us on PotC starts taking selfies with his camera of his family - with flash. I'm like, "No flash allowed!" and then he does it again. I'm like, "Hey, no flash allowed." He acts like he doesn't understand so I lean right next to him and say, "NO FLASH IS ALLOWED. YOU'RE ANNOYING EVERYONE ELSE SO JUST STOP." He gives me this look but complies. He's lucky the camera didn't wind up in Davy Jone's locker. Bad enough to take flash photos but to turn the camera around to flash everyone behind you in the boat too? Jerk.

Kman101

I don't know why instead of flash photography they don't just video the ride. Yeah, it's going to still be a bit dark but you have the memory of the ride without annoying just about everyone else around you. Most cameras and phones are capable of decent video, you don't need to lug around a video camera if you don't want to.

sporadic

People holding up cameras or phones videotaping with their bright LCDs is as annoying as flash to me on dark rides. If you really really must capture that OMG moment on a dark ride, do it right with a proper camera with a view finder, good high ISO performance and a fast lens or don't do it all.

G00fyDad

I don't know why instead of flash photography they don't just video the ride. Yeah, it's going to still be a bit dark but you have the memory of the ride without annoying just about everyone else around you. Most cameras and phones are capable of decent video, you don't need to lug around a video camera if you don't want to.

I have seen the idiots doing that too. They turn on the video and the led light on the back of their phone lights up and it stays on the entire time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom