Please don't puke in the sink!

OhioDVCgal

Original Poster
Okay, this is one of the strangest things I've ever seen, on all of my trips to Disney. DH and I were sitting at the bar, just outside the Ohana restaurant at the Poly. I noticed a very small sign right next to the little hand sink under the bar that looked like a person sneezing with a big red line through it. I had to squint to see it, and thought it was strange, but didn't mention it to DH.

As we were leaving, we walked by the Kona Coffee stand and I saw the same sign, again next to the hand sink! I stood there laughing at it. DH said it was telling you not to puke in the sink, but I said there's no way...why would there be a sign for that? I leaned over the counter bit to see it better, wanting to take a picture. Just then a waiter from the Kona Cafe popped over and asked if he could help me. I laughed and said no thanks, but DH piped right up and asked about the sign. Waiter said yes, it means don't throw up in the sink!! He said he thought it was funny too. I started to ask if he could take a picture, and he offered to take it before I could finish. So, here's the sign:

nopukesmall.jpg

nopukelarge.jpg

So have you seen these signs anywhere? If so, where? :ROFLOL:

sbkline

Reminds me of the exit spiel on the Primieval Whirl at Animal Kingdom where the girl says "please stand up before exiting".

Standing up before exiting a ride and not puking in the sink both seem pretty obvious things to do or not do, but apparently there are enough ignoramouses that visit WDW to require signs or spiels stating the obvious. :lookaroun

CThaddeus

Kinda like the helpful signs in the bathrooms at both Disneyland and Disney World that tell you how to wash and dry your hands. I was glad those were there. I had been drying my hands before washing them all this time...

rainfully

Actually... it really means don't work when you'e sick. They have the same sign on the back of the Cast bathroom door at my location.

GymLeaderPhil

Cleaning up sink puke is a hoooorrible horrible job that I don't wish on anyone. Especially when you're dealing with a non-residential style sink.

Captain Hank

Here you go if you'd like to order your own sign ;)

http://www.foodprotection.org/icons/Ill.asp

And some other food safety icons, which I'm sure anyone who works Disney food & beverage will recognize:

http://www.foodprotection.org/aboutIAFP/IconMain.asp

These icons were actually created by Disney but are used internationally and are available for anyone.
I'm a fan of this one: http://www.foodprotection.org/icons/Wash.asp

"Throw ping-pong balls at the wine glass, set it out in the rain, then run it over with a truck tire."

gsimpson

cool

At a place where I worked as an arcade tech, many moons ago, this sign was supposed to mean cover your mouth while coughing. There was another sign that was supposed to convey wash your hands after coughing.

I guess it turns out we should all learn to read after all, the "icon" method of conveying instruction is apparently a tiny bit ambiguous and multi-cultural political correctly not withstanding the same icon can be interpreted different ways. I notice on US Air east coast flights they have a "please turn off electronic devices" light up sign that is actually the printed words instead of an icon, it is where you normally see the no smoking icon next to the fasten seat belt icon. I guess no one has come up with a clever, multi-cultural, turn off the electronic devices icon yet.

hcswingfield

Kinda like the helpful signs in the bathrooms at both Disneyland and Disney World that tell you how to wash and dry your hands. I was glad those were there. I had been drying my hands before washing them all this time...

And those signs are sponsored by the companies who make the paper towels!

Beauty_Belle

You realize the thought of this sign most likely came about because someone actually did puke in the sink.... Your in Disney and out of the blue, some random person comes to the sink, only to get sick in it! Could you imagine the job of thinking of a sign to reflect that action being a no no... Oh my! :ROFLOL:

Karolena

Reminds me of the exit spiel on the Primieval Whirl at Animal Kingdom where the girl says "please stand up before exiting".

Standing up before exiting a ride and not puking in the sink both seem pretty obvious things to do or not do, but apparently there are enough ignoramouses that visit WDW to require signs or spiels stating the obvious. :lookaroun

The Primeaval Whirl thing gets me everytime.

And the sink thing is really odd. Now, I'm going to look for those signs.

KevinFSU

Cleaning up sink puke is a hoooorrible horrible job that I don't wish on anyone. Especially when you're dealing with a non-residential style sink.

I bet a cast member would prefer that over someone not making it to a stall and lettin it fly all over the floor.... not to mention those in the vicinity that might take some splatter shrapnel :eek:

darthjohnny

The Primeval Whirl thing always made sense to me.

They don't want people trying to slide out of the seats and end up tripping.

I guess this sign is there because otherwise it would be a hard clean up and make things very unsanitary for washing hands, even if it was supposedly cleaned.

Now the one sign I never got was the instructions for washing your hands in the bathrooms. :)

bgraham34

This is funny, i never noticed that at all. I shall refrain from letting go in the sink. But sometimes you have no choice.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom