Playstation 3

WDWFREAK53

Original Poster
Hello all,

I'm currently in the market for a Playstation 3.

Basically, I'm only purchasing it for its Blu-Ray capabilities. (It's the cheapest one out there, it upconverts, and it has the ability to download the firmware to keep it up to date.)

There are only a handful of games that actually interest me for the PS3 (GTA, GranTurismo, Call of Duty, and a few others).

For the most part, my gaming is committed to the Wii.

Now...for the question...

Is it worth it to get a more expensive machine when it's basically hard-drive space? Does the HD have anything to do with the movie-watching experience? Also, can you download Blu-Ray movies and store them on the machine?

I see a 40GB model for $299, an 80GB model for $399, and a 160GB model (with game) coming out in November for $499. If the Hard Drive means nothing in the sense of movie watching or storing...then I don't need to spend the extra money because if it's just for saving games, then the 40GB will be enough considering the little amount of gaming I'll actually be doing.

danpam1024

Unless you need all of the hard drive space, don't waste the money for anything above the 40GB. Seriously. You'll never need it.

....actually, if you're only interested in using it as a BlueRay player, I'd look at just getting a BlueRay player. The PS3 works fine, however, it's somewhat clumsy to use (unless you spend the extra money for a remote) and it has a surprisingly loud cooling fan that usually kicks-on 30 minutes into a movie. It's a little distracting.

We have both a Wii and PS3. Aside from the first few weeks we owned the PS3, I never use it for gaming. Once the novelty wore off, we gravitated back to the Wii for games. Unless you're a hard-core gamer, the PS3 will be a waste of your money.

....actually (again), would you like to buy a lightly used PS3?

WDWFREAK53

Original Poster
Unless you need all of the hard drive space, don't waste the money for anything above the 40GB. Seriously. You'll never need it.

....actually, if you're only interested in using it as a BlueRay player, I'd look at just getting a BlueRay player. The PS3 works fine, however, it's somewhat clumsy to use (unless you spend the extra money for a remote) and it has a surprisingly loud cooling fan that usually kicks-on 30 minutes into a movie. It's a little distracting.

We have both a Wii and PS3. Aside from the first few weeks we owned the PS3, I never use it for gaming. Once the novelty wore off, we gravitated back to the Wii for games. Unless you're a hard-core gamer, the PS3 will be a waste of your money.

....actually (again), would you like to buy a lightly used PS3?

I would definitely get the remote...and the problem with Blu-Ray players in its price range is the inability to download the firmware updates. People with 1st-gen Blu-Ray players can't access all features on the newer Blu-Ray discs. The PS3 downloads the firmware updates to keep it up to date with the progressing technology.

Which PS3 do you have? I heard the fan isn't as loud on the newer 80GB model. Is the fan only noticeable because it's close to where you are sitting...or is it really that loud?

The higher hard drive space intrigues me because, if Sony is smart, they'd try to cut into the AppleTV market and allow you to download and store movies right on the console for a cheaper price (saving on the DVD case, sleeve and art, and inserts).

Brett

I bought a 40GB PS3 earlier this year and I love it. I was getting it more for the blu-ray, but I have found a few games to play (Metal Gear Solid 4!).

And yes, I'm pretty sure you can download blu-ray movies to the HD via the Playstation Store. I haven't done it yet, so I'm not sure of exactly how it works, but I've looked through the available library and there is some good stuff in there.

As for the remote, I have found that I didn't need one. With the wireless controller, it pretty much functions as a good remote, you just have to know how to work it for movies. It was a little clumsy at first, but after figuring it out, I'm glad I saved the money.

Philo

Hard Drive wise - you probably wouldn't need more than 40 unless you plan on using it as a media centre.

Definatly get the PS3 over a blue ray player because the PS3 can have firmware updates making it more compatible with future features and revisions.

I have all three big consoles. I play the 360 when I want a serious game, the Wii when friends are round for fun and the ps3, well, hardly ever. It's a great machine but the the selection of games is pretty limited right now and if a particualr game is cross platform, i'll buy the 360 version everytime.

WDWFREAK53

Original Poster
Hard Drive wise - you probably wouldn't need more than 40 unless you plan on using it as a media centre.

Definatly get the PS3 over a blue ray player because the PS3 can have firmware updates making it more compatible with future features and revisions.

The idea of AppleTV intrigues me. I was hoping that PS3 could be used like it and I'm glad to hear that it can.

You have just made my mind up for me. Thank you very much!

joanna71985

I'm sorry to go OT. But I have another PS3 question. My family is looking at getting a PS3. Is it compatable to play PS2 games (we have the PS2.)?

WDWFREAK53

Original Poster
I'm sorry to go OT. But I have another PS3 question. My family is looking at getting a PS3. Is it compatable to play PS2 games (we have the PS2.)?

From my recent research, the older PS3's are backward compatible but the newer ones are not (the 80GB and upcoming 160GB). I believe any of the others are (meaning the largest harddrive that is backwards compatible is 60GB).

Also, I've heard that the newer ones have the ability to play SOME PS2 games...but it's a crapshoot.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
The 60G had the emulator built-in for backwards compatibility, since then, there is a software emulator that can be used, but it isn't very reliable or particularly good even when it works.

If you can find an older 60G, it is possible to upgrade the HDD to higher volume if you need more storage [I haven't yet].

Brett

Yeah, my 40GB is not backwards compatible. That's the one big negative that I have with the system, but with the way that downloadable content has taken off, I don't see many systems being backwards compatible anymore. Why let you play the old game when they can make you download it at a cost? So far, there are no PS2 games in the PS Store, but you can bet that eventually there will be.

firedog31

When I got the ps3 I kept about 15 of my old games from the ps2 and everyone has worked on the ps3. NOt saying they all do but for the most part I don't think it is going to be a big issue.

WDWFREAK53

Original Poster
When I got the ps3 I kept about 15 of my old games from the ps2 and everyone has worked on the ps3. NOt saying they all do but for the most part I don't think it is going to be a big issue.

Just curious...which model PS3 do you have? Some are backwards compatible and some aren't.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
If you have not purchased a PS3 yet you might want to wait until black Friday before you make up your mind. Based on articles from several places such as Fudzilla , Gizmodo, etc there will be several firmware upgradeable stand alone blu-ray players available in the $200 or possibly $150 price range this Christmas.

joanna71985

If you have not purchased a PS3 yet you might want to wait until black Friday before you make up your mind. Based on articles from several places such as Fudzilla , Gizmodo, etc there will be several firmware upgradeable stand alone blu-ray players available in the $200 or possibly $150 price range this Christmas.

Really? Wow!

Philo

That sounds like a pretty good deal. Just remember what blue-ray is about though. Don't go buying the cheapest one possible unless you see it in action - no point buying a hi-def player if the quality is sub-standard.

It might also be worth considering if the player has network connections on it. I hear that the grand plan for these things is to gather content from the net to complement your experience. I don't know how true this is or how much of a difference it really makes.

WDWFREAK53

Original Poster
That sounds like a pretty good deal. Just remember what blue-ray is about though. Don't go buying the cheapest one possible unless you see it in action - no point buying a hi-def player if the quality is sub-standard.

It might also be worth considering if the player has network connections on it. I hear that the grand plan for these things is to gather content from the net to complement your experience. I don't know how true this is or how much of a difference it really makes.

Well, if it's firmware upgradeable...I'm assuming that it has a network connection on it.

I agree...it definitely seems as if the age of "hard copies" of films is going the way of the Dodo bird. I know my office at home has two (floor to ceiling basically) bookshelves filled to the brim with DVDs and CD's...and that's not including video games or books. That's a lot of real estate in a "not-so-huge" room. I'd love to be able to just download the movie when I want to watch it and have complete access to all of the "extras" without having an actual disc.

OnDemand isn't there yet because they have a limited amount of movies (all new ones...but very limited when it comes to the classics and obscure). iTunes is ok...but if your computer crashes, you basically lose everything unless you back it up onto a disc (which doesn't help at all). (Also, getting it from your computer to your television isn't always easy or accessible for everybody). Neither of these options allow you access to the DVD extras either.

I'd gladly pay a monthly fee to be able to log onto a movie site through my television or DVD player to have access to any movie and the extras at any time I want. (This is why I don't think "DVD Players" will be around much longer either). AppleTV is the beginning...it's just not quite there yet. (No Blu-Ray capabilities)

dxwwf3

If you're in the market for a Blu Ray player and you have even the slightest chance of wanting to play games, you don't even need to think about anything other than a PS3. If you can find a good deal on a 40 GB, go for it. I've got my launch 60 GB and with streaming through my computer (TVersity), I don't need to have a lot of video on my actual hard drive. All of my Disney World videos stream perfectly and with uSirius (or uXM) you can stream your satellite radio through your PS3 as well.

I think Blu Ray is going to be around for a while because movies aren't like MP3's. The storage and streaming capabilites just aren't there right now. In 20 years, sure it's certainly possible, but movies on discs are going to be around for a very long time, IMO.

If you're going to pay over $200 for something, get the best player you can buy. And if you only have a Wii, you're missing out on a TON of video games right now. Actually just about all of the major titles are 360/PS3 games and getting a PS3 would certainly open that door to you. Resistance 2 is fantastic.

WDWFREAK53

Original Poster
If you're in the market for a Blu Ray player and you have even the slightest chance of wanting to play games, you don't even need to think about anything other than a PS3. If you can find a good deal on a 40 GB, go for it. I've got my launch 60 GB and with streaming through my computer (TVersity), I don't need to have a lot of video on my actual hard drive. All of my Disney World videos stream perfectly and with uSirius (or uXM) you can stream your satellite radio through your PS3 as well.

I think Blu Ray is going to be around for a while because movies aren't like MP3's. The storage and streaming capabilites just aren't there right now. In 20 years, sure it's certainly possible, but movies on discs are going to be around for a very long time, IMO.

If you're going to pay over $200 for something, get the best player you can buy. And if you only have a Wii, you're missing out on a TON of video games right now. Actually just about all of the major titles are 360/PS3 games and getting a PS3 would certainly open that door to you. Resistance 2 is fantastic.

I'm definitely getting the PS3. Most likely the 80GB.

So wait, you can stream XM through the PS3?!?!?!? As if I needed another reason to take the plunge :lol:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
If you do not intend on getting your PS3 "right now" the current speculation is that there will be a price drop on PS3's in March of 2009. That is a pretty good ways off but food for thought if you do not intend on buying one for a couple of months.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom