Plastic shopping bags

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.
Premium Member
Well, I think I can safely say that there is one type of plastic that runs no threat of ever being banned by WDW.

1541941060971.png

daisyduckie

Doing a little is better than doing nothing.

I live in a not too big city. And a local company runs an ad about how they are trying to go green, but that small steps are needed. It is too hard on the company to try and go green all at once. If a relatively small company finds it too much to handle, to go green all at once, how on earth do people think Disney could do it?

People need to stop whining that Disney shouldn't try and do A to be green if they can't do B C and D at the same time. As long as t hey are going in the right direction, to be more green, I' fine.

baymenxpac

Why exactly is it a good thing? Aside from environmentalist yammering about how bad plastic is they often completely ignore the reality of what happens when plastic is replaced with other options... Get rid of plastic straws and you end up with paper straws, plastic is made from a byproduct of crude oil production that generates more natural gas than the US can consume... We can't just flare it so it gets turned into polypropylene because it can then be sued for things like straws... But hey we can stop making straws but it won't stop the polypropylene production so no net reduction in the creation of the plastics feedstock... Of course it would result in more trees being cut down to make those straws, would result in more water being made nasty from the paper mills which are some of the dirtiest plants you can imagine.... And that's just from straws... You want to go into removing plastic bags for reusable totes you can then think about all the poor child laborers forced to pick cotton instead of go to school or sew up those bags in those quaint little Chinese sweatshops.... Reality is environmentalist rarely ever bother to look at the final result of what they push, they look at the first action but ignore the consequences.

bro, just drink your soda out of a cup.

ninjaprincesst

I have re-usable grocery bags I've been using for 15 years. I've gone over a year without a single plastic bag from Publix or other grocery stores.
Thats great, bet you don't have to carry your groceries around in Florida rain all day also, believe it or not people do not carry those stupid reusable things around with them all day everyday and they sure don't carry them around all day at disney when they already have enough crap to carry around the paks all day. And sending it to your room is great until you bu something you want to wear the next day or it's the last two days of your trip.

jaklgreen

To fix a problem, you have to start somewhere....

Then get bags that are made from all recycled material. Oh, but that costs more money. I agree that the reusable ones are going to get dumped in the trash. There are only so many bags a person is going to keep and I am not going into the park carrying and empty bag in case I buy something that day.

MickeyLuv'r

Thats great, bet you don't have to carry your groceries around in Florida rain all day also, believe it or not people do not carry those stupid reusable things around with them all day everyday and they sure don't carry them around all day at disney when they already have enough crap to carry around the paks all day. And sending it to your room is great until you bu something you want to wear the next day or it's the last two days of your trip.
Huh? Who carries groceries around all day in the Florida heat? Meat, chocolate, and dairy? Eek!

I'm not sure how often you go to WDW, but plenty of folks have been carrying reusable bags at WDW since it first opened in the 1970's. I daresay, at least half the families at WDW carry a backpack (or similar) at WDW.

full disclosure: I have posted many times on the subject. Many times I have said I like to go to the parks bag free. I love clothing with big pockets.

Many folks also like to carry stuff in their stroller baskets, stroller pouches, and the reusable storage pockets/baskets of their electric scooters.

Mostly, I buy stuff on my way out of the parks. When that isn't practical, in addition to resort delivery, EVERYONE can also have their items delivered to the front of the park, and pick them up on their way out. Disney's had this option for many years.

drizgirl

Huh? Who carries groceries around all day in the Florida heat? Meat, chocolate, and dairy? Eek!

I'm not sure how often you go to WDW, but plenty of folks have been carrying reusable bags at WDW since it first opened in the 1970's. I daresay, at least half the families at WDW carry a backpack (or similar) at WDW.

full disclosure: I have posted many times on the subject. Many times I have said I like to go to the parks bag free. I love clothing with big pockets.

Many folks also like to carry stuff in their stroller baskets, stroller pouches, and the reusable storage pockets/baskets of their electric scooters.

Mostly, I buy stuff on my way out of the parks. When that isn't practical, in addition to resort delivery, EVERYONE can also have their items delivered to the front of the park, and pick them up on their way out. Disney's had this option for many years.
I carry a backpack at WDW. But that doesn't mean there's space for purchases. And I doubt Disney wants people to limit purchases to what fits in their pockets. I have a hunch regular shopping bags will be available, at least by request, for a long time to come. It's all good until it impacts the bottom line.

ToTBellHop

The operative phrase being 'leave a bag in your car' ... it's exactly what I do every time, remembering to bring it *into the store* is the issue.
If you forget your bag and are at the Emporium, it's easy enough to hop on a ferry, then the parking lot shuttle, get the bag, take the parking lot shuttle, go through the security, hop on the ferry and return to the Emporium. No big deal.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I carry a backpack at WDW. But that doesn't mean there's space for purchases. And I doubt Disney wants people to limit purchases to what fits in their pockets. I have a hunch regular shopping bags will be available, at least by request, for a long time to come. It's all good until it impacts the bottom line.

Depends on your definition of "a long time"...

MickeyLuv'r

I am not going into the park carrying and empty bag in case I buy something that day.

Ironically, I bought a very cool reusable bag in the Japan shop of Epcot a few years back. I bought it because I liked the way it looked, but it is a very stretchy fabric.

When empty, it easily fits in the back pocket of my jeans!

As I just posted, I've long been a fan of being bag-free at WDW when possible, because I don't love having to deal with bags on rides all day.

Still, it isn't always possible to go bag-free, so when I need to carry a bag, I try to find one that is light and sturdy.

My scrunchy bag isn't as strong as a backpack, but is far sturdier than a typical plastic bag, and looks WAY better.

I can't say I never use plastic bags, but I cut way back after a bad experience a few years back. I had a BIG bottle of olive oil in a plastic shopping bag. It ripped as I was getting out of the car. The glass bottle broke and the oil made a HUGE mess! Just outside my front door! Ugh! It left a nasty stain that was very hard to clean.

jaklgreen

And stores price things to include the cost of a shopping bag. I doubt Disney is going to now lower any prices because they are saving by not supplying bags.

MickeyLuv'r

Sorry, but that's a pretty thin excuse.

I can't say I haven't used a number of plastic bags at WDW, I have. I especially like Universal's Harry Potter bags to wrap HP gifts.

Whenever I travel, I always bring a compact, inexpensive reusable bag (often one of those string style backpacks) in my luggage in case I can't fit everything in my sturdy luggage. It has been a great strategy.

As I said, I already have a compact fabric shopping bag that fits in my pocket. It easy fits it in a jacket pocket, and I could easily make room for it in any backpack. Yet it holds quite a bit when full.

It is called a"shibori" bag.

I own have several nylon bags that are the same size as a plastic poncho when folded; easy fit in my back pocket.

MickeyLuv'r

Did anyone else read Upton's Sinclair's book, The Jungle? In it, the meatpacking plant's motto is, "We use everything but the oink."

Big meatpackers beat out small butcher shops, in part, because they were able to sell every part of the pig. A few extra pennies per pig made a big difference when multiplied by thousands of pigs.

When it comes to big businesses like WDW, small changes add up to big reductions in waste.

ninjaprincesst

I have done the front of the park thing and it takes them forever to get your stuff, I send stuff to my room if I can , but sometimes you buy something you want before the next day, and how is it cutting down on plastic if everyone is now just having to bring their own plastic it's not cutting down it's just changing the source of the plastic, basically it'd just so they can charge for reusable bags.

wdwfan22

I can't see Disney banning the plastic bags for theme park purchases as it would reduce sales. People are not going to carry reusable bags into a theme park just in case they want to purchase something. In addition to that It would also be harder to monitor theft as some Guests will not purchase the reusable bag from them and insist on carrying the package out. I have seen this already play out at Disney stores. Guest refuse to pay for a bag and just walk out with the purchase. This becomes harder to track theft. as you have people that have paid/not paid walking around with merchandise in the store.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I can't see Disney banning the plastic bags for theme park purchases as it would reduce sales

Regarding the throw away bags, that process has already started. They will be gone.

They could just sell the reusable ones for a buck a piece like Disney Store. If they refuse to buy one...oh well.

wdwfan22

Regarding the throw away bags, that process has already started. They will be gone.

They could just sell the reusable ones for a buck a piece like Disney Store. If they refuse to buy one...oh well.

They have started in the Disney stores, but not the theme parks. Again I don't see them doing it in the theme parks for the reasons I mentioned.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom