Plastic shopping bags

eliza61nyc

baymenxpac

Oh, I agree wholeheartedly. I'm against the plastic bags/straws/plastic lids. I just also think Disney is making an additional profit off of the reusable bags. I think that despite their intentions, they're betting on people buying multiple bags over the course of their trip. So long as someone buys one and uses it for the duration of their trip, good. But I have this fear that you'll see them thrown out and repurchased every day. But I agree that this is a good thing and it has to start somewhere.

you may be right, but the one thing that is basically guaranteed to change consumer behavior is hitting them in the wallet (i.e. make it more expensive, people will think twice). i know that sounds funny considering all the on-site price hikes lately, but it's the reason why soda taxes have been proven to work, why charging for plastic bags work, why a carbon tax would likely work.

i'm not above reproach. far from it. i consider myself someone who cares deeply about the environment and tries to curb my consumption, but for years, i simply (like a previous commenter) would just forget my reusable bags in my car when i went to the grocery store. once they started charging a (small) fee, it changed my behavior.

eliza61nyc

Sure, but it's new to a lot of folks whose communities don't have these measures. It's going to be wonderful in the long run, but it will also take time for people to adapt. Let's be honest.

Oh sure but people will adapt. I remember when bottled water came out and everyone swore no one would "pay" for water. Haha. I remember when satellite radio came out. Same thing.
Heck, I remember the uproar when folks were first asked to separate their trash. Lol you would have swore they were being asked to pull up the Pope's robes. Now recycling is second nature.
And really I don't think it will take all that long.

Similar but a little ot. My hair salon recently announced it was transitioning to cash only. Lol omg folks swore it would never work, no one carries money. Well it was amazing how many folks started carrying cash when she offered 10% off if you paid in cash.
Consumers can be trained

ABQ

Just looked through a video of a live stream from the parks a couple days ago, plenty of plastic shopping bags were in site.

Alice a

My friend owns a small local hardware store here in Charleston - been in the family for generations. In January they chose to stop carrying plastic shopping bags, and instead offer small paper bags and leftover boxes.

Being on the coast, they chose to d/c the bags for environmental reasons, and because they also have to buy the bags, so they're saving some money while also reusing the boxes their products arrive in. They offer $2 cloth bags for purchase and issue a 2% discount every time you bring the bag back.

Most customers like this change - the boxes are easier to carry, for one thing - but every now and then, they get some guy who insists it's the law to supply plastic bags and "they're free"

I doubt WDW is trying to save every penny to compete with the big national chains, or trying to support a community cause, but whatever their motivation, they're doing it. With all the stuff people bring into the parks, a reusable cloth bag takes up less space than pretty much anything else.

thomas998

i think pete's point is (and pete, feel free to correct me if i'm wrong) is that while disney's intentions may ultimately be just about the bottom line and getting some decent PR for being green, using less plastic for one-time disposal is a good thing.

where i live, there's a 5 cent charge if you want a plastic bag. think it doesn't make a difference? it does. it makes people think twice about their consumption. so if disney eliminates straws and plastic bags and plastic lids, i'm not going to turn my nose up at that, no matter what their intentions are. it's a good thing.
Why exactly is it a good thing? Aside from environmentalist yammering about how bad plastic is they often completely ignore the reality of what happens when plastic is replaced with other options... Get rid of plastic straws and you end up with paper straws, plastic is made from a byproduct of crude oil production that generates more natural gas than the US can consume... We can't just flare it so it gets turned into polypropylene because it can then be sued for things like straws... But hey we can stop making straws but it won't stop the polypropylene production so no net reduction in the creation of the plastics feedstock... Of course it would result in more trees being cut down to make those straws, would result in more water being made nasty from the paper mills which are some of the dirtiest plants you can imagine.... And that's just from straws... You want to go into removing plastic bags for reusable totes you can then think about all the poor child laborers forced to pick cotton instead of go to school or sew up those bags in those quaint little Chinese sweatshops.... Reality is environmentalist rarely ever bother to look at the final result of what they push, they look at the first action but ignore the consequences.

eliza61nyc

Why exactly is it a good thing? Aside from environmentalist yammering about how bad plastic is they often completely ignore the reality of what happens when plastic is replaced with other options... Get rid of plastic straws and you end up with paper straws, plastic is made from a byproduct of crude oil production that generates more natural gas than the US can consume... We can't just flare it so it gets turned into polypropylene because it can then be sued for things like straws... But hey we can stop making straws but it won't stop the polypropylene production so no net reduction in the creation of the plastics feedstock... Of course it would result in more trees being cut down to make those straws, would result in more water being made nasty from the paper mills which are some of the dirtiest plants you can imagine.... And that's just from straws... You want to go into removing plastic bags for reusable totes you can then think about all the poor child laborers forced to pick cotton instead of go to school or sew up those bags in those quaint little Chinese sweatshops.... Reality is environmentalist rarely ever bother to look at the final result of what they push, they look at the first action but ignore the consequences.

Wow, Straws haven't been made from virgin pulp since Jesus was a boy and there ain't s paper mill that would waste the energy making them. Work for Solenis llc (chemist) google if you want more info on what we make but sufficient to say the pulp and paper industry is our bread and butter.
t many "environmentalists " know EXACTLY the end results. It's not a either/or proposition.

Totally didn't understand the chinese sweatshop reference??? so you want me to keep using plastic so a communist country can keep exploiting its' workers????

look I'm not some tree huging, grass shoe wearing extremist but after 28 years working in the specialty chemicals and Petroleum industrys (most of it at Dow/Dupont) I don't have a problem saying we need to reduce our usage of plastics and PFOA's

Will it stop the overall "poly" production (polyethylene, polystyrene and polypropylene)?? probably not immediately but we can reduce the cumulative need for these things.

Also people are trying to develop a new type of plastic bag that's made from starch. mainly potatoe starch but these would be reusable for a time, sturdy and much more biodegradable. I've read there is also work being done on trying to make plastics with a photo voltaic enzyme that would break the polymer down with exposure to light. I haven't seen it but it's an alternative

Personally I wish they'd stop making plastic water bottles but that's just me.

Last edited:

thomas998

Wow, Straws haven't been made from virgin pulp since Jesus was a boy and there ain't s paper mill that would waste the energy making them. Work for Solenis llc (chemist) google if you want more info on what we make but sufficient to say the pulp and paper industry is our bread and butter.
t many "environmentalists " know EXACTLY the end results. It's not a either/or proposition.

Totally didn't understand the chinese sweatshop reference??? so you want me to keep using plastic so a communist country can keep exploiting its' workers????

look I'm not some tree huging, grass shoe wearing extremist but after 28 years working in the specialty chemicals and Petroleum industrys (most of it at Dow/Dupont) I don't have a problem saying we need to reduce our usage of plastics and PFOA's

Will it stop the overall "poly" production (polyethylene, polystyrene and polypropylene)?? probably not immediately but we can reduce the cumulative need for these things.

Also people are trying to develop a new type of plastic bag that's made from starch. mainly potatoe starch but these would be reusable for a time, sturdy and much more biodegradable. I've read there is also work being done on trying to make plastics with a photo voltaic enzyme that would break the polymer down with exposure to light. I haven't seen it but it's an alternative

Personally I wish they'd stop making plastic water bottles but that's just me.
Paper straws I'm familiar with are made of virgin pulp, and are also coated with another petroleum based product - wax. Not sure I would ever want to suck a drink through a straw made from recycled paper, that's just nasty. As for the chinese sweatshops... where do you think those reusable totes are sewn together at? It isn't in a US textile plant, those all got shipped to China a long time ago. That's where you get the sweatshops... So you want to exploit child labor go on and keep pushing for those canvas totes, don't worry about the kids that lose fingers sewing them up.

I am Timmy

QUOTE="thomas998 Of course it would result in more trees being cut down to make those straws, would result in more water being made nasty from the paper mills which are some of the dirtiest plants you can imagine....

I can't speak to the rest of what you said, but I can tell you the paper mill my DH works for is CLEAN. Don't know which mills you speak of, my DH has been at the same mill for 25 years and if they aren't busy with paper making they are cleaning. Our mill is also ahead of the game with the EPA, and it's changed hands at least 3 times since he's been there. They also grow their own trees, and replant. Doesn't mean I want to suck anything through a straw made there... lol.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
The solution is to require everybody to buy and wear cargo shorts. No bags needed thereafter.

Cargo shorts -- they're your environmentally friendly pants solution!

eliza61nyc

Paper straws I'm familiar with are made of virgin pulp, and are also coated with another petroleum based product - wax. Not sure I would ever want to suck a drink through a straw made from recycled paper, that's just nasty. As for the chinese sweatshops... where do you think those reusable totes are sewn together at? It isn't in a US textile plant, those all got shipped to China a long time ago. That's where you get the sweatshops... So you want to exploit child labor go on and keep pushing for those canvas totes, don't worry about the kids that lose fingers sewing them up.

No they're really not. seriously. I mean nasty, There are so many steps from the recycle to the final product. I know this is a OT so I'll keep it short.
I do recognize the issue with our manufacturing issues but I just don't understand the connection. listen, no one is saying that using paper straws is going to solve every issue but it's also in not going to cause an uptick in China exploiting it's citizens. It's a communist country, lol they are generally not known for free market. I'll save that campaign for some one else.

I'll stick with campaigning for one little step.

AndyS2992

Sounds like a good time to buy a huge amount of things and then return them all when they refuse to provide a bag to put them in...
That is extremely childish and petty. America is one, if not the biggest polluter of this Planet and it's no wonder when it's full of people with your attitude towards recycling. Putting Walmart bags to line trash cans is not recycling, it's wasteful. It really isn't hard to bring a few of those collapsable fabric bags in your bag or purse to the parks. It's how it's has worked over here in Europe for decades without issue. To the Americans who are doing their bit to help the environment, I thank you.

thomas998

That is extremely childish and petty. America is one, if not the biggest polluter of this Planet and it's no wonder when it's full of people with your attitude towards recycling. Putting Walmart bags to line trash cans is not recycling, it's wasteful. It really isn't hard to bring a few of those collapsable fabric bags in your bag or purse to the parks. It's how it's has worked over here in Europe for decades without issue. To the Americans who are doing their bit to help the environment, I thank you.
So you think it is better to purchase plastic trash bags for trash cans instead of using plastic bags from a walmart to line the trash cans... Yeah... that makes a lot of sense now doesn't it. Assume I wasted money on a reusable tote bag, I'm still going to have to buy plastic trash bags.. Or I can not purchase any tote and just use the plastic bags from walmart to line the trash cans.. Sorry but my way I don't force any child labor to pick cotton to make a tote bag or child labor to sew those bags up in China to make them... You're method seems to be great if you don't like kids and want to seem them exploited.

AndyS2992

So you think it is better to purchase plastic trash bags for trash cans instead of using plastic bags from a walmart to line the trash cans... Yeah... that makes a lot of sense now doesn't it. Assume I wasted money on a reusable tote bag, I'm still going to have to buy plastic trash bags.. Or I can not purchase any tote and just use the plastic bags from walmart to line the trash cans.. Sorry but my way I don't force any child labor to pick cotton to make a tote bag or child labor to sew those bags up in China to make them... You're method seems to be great if you don't like kids and want to seem them exploited.
Eh? I don't line any of my trash cans with plastic, it's not necessary.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Is it confirmed that plastic shopping bags ARE GONE in WDW and DS ?

The plastic bags anything you bought, whether at a park, resort or Disney Springs, those bags? As of last week, no. My purchases from Mouse Gear, my resort, World of Disney and the Christmas Shoppe in MK are all in those bags.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom