Plastic Orange-Shaped Cups...

uglybug2005

a2grafix said:
Ditto. I remember them well.

I believe WDW is / was the only place I knew where you could get a drink and get a paper straw with it.

But those orange-round shaped drinks were cool. Very cool. Something that set other parks apart.

Busch Gardens used to have paper straws (more recently than WDW, I believe).

daverube

Original Poster
It's whacko what the mind remembers....and when it does. Had a bad day on Wednesday when I posted this and was searching for a happy place....thanks adam. Seeing all the happy responses really shows how to turn a frown upside down.....I guess I should post a picture of corn with this.

Thanks for responding guys....

And again, thanks to MrToad for the great pics....

dave

SewIn2Disney

What exactly are/were paper straws? Were they wax coated like a paper cup? At first I thought of a piece of notebook quality paper that fell apart after your second sip, but obviously, that doesn't make sence.

mrtoad

SewIn2Disney said:
What exactly are/were paper straws? Were they wax coated like a paper cup? At first I thought of a piece of notebook quality paper that fell apart after your second sip, but obviously, that doesn't make sence.

They use to have paper straws that were white and a redish pink striped but not strait stripes, it was like a barber pole. About a 1/4 through with your drink they were flat at the top and became useless... :p

[Edit] Forgot to mention, I don't think they were waxed at all hence the going flat part.

tigntink

I have 2 of the orange cups with green straws and I could never remember where I got them from. Thanks for the info. I know not to get rid of them now:wave:
I'd take a pic of them to show you all, but they're packed in a box and I can't get at them at the moment.

Captain Hank

Well, since there have been no pictures yet, I guess I'll run over to MGM to take the pic of the one at One Man's Dream. I'll try to post it by this evening. :)

SewIn2Disney

mrtoad said:
They use to have paper straws that were white and a redish pink striped but not strait stripes, it was like a barber pole. About a 1/4 through with your drink they were flat at the top and became useless... :p

[Edit] Forgot to mention, I don't think they were waxed at all hence the going flat part.
So it's kind of like eating a pixi stick? About halfway through the sugar and your spit (mmmmm....) glue the top shut, and you have to rip it off and start over.

MissM

I'd still love to see a pic of the orange and/or grape cups! I didn't remember them until I read this thread and now it's bugging me that I recall - them but not well.

Paper straws were found in several places when I was a kid. I think Busch Gardens used them until recently in fact. A quick google search came up with some general info like the history of drinking straws and a picture of Dairy Queen paper straws. While different in coloring and such obviously, it at least gives you an idea of what they look like. They have that spiral pattern to them.
-m

mrtoad

SewIn2Disney said:
So it's kind of like eating a pixi stick? About halfway through the sugar and your spit (mmmmm....) glue the top shut, and you have to rip it off and start over.

Pretty close. I mostly remember them at Liberty Tree Tavern, mostly because it was and still is a frequent haunt for us.

I will see if I can dig up a pic of one. I know I have seen a photo of my sister with one in front of her.

sarajo

I remember those things... they were so unique and cool (after all-- it was the 70's!). Too bad they still don't use them... I think it would/could be a draw for those of us who have grown up in the parks and want to show our kids the things that intrigued us as a child.

Disneybird

I never thought about paper straws being something some people had never seen. How funny. Yes, they were alot like pixie stix. Only slightly bigger. Also I remember there was another fruit cup besides orange and grape. I think it was pineapple shaped. I can remember eating at the Crystal Palace when strolling musicians came around to the table and took requests. They played "Tennessee Waltz" for my mother. Also, we would eat breakfast on the front porch of what is now Tony's Town Square. The crowds were so light that it didn't matter if we took the time to eat before riding. I also remember Mission to the Moon, before it was Mission to Mars, then AE, and now Stitch. I thought it was the most boring ride in the world. Of course I also remember staying in the tower at the Contemporary for $54 a night too. Wow, do I feel old. This thread has brought back wonderful memories. Thanks!!!

SewIn2Disney

Thanks! It's very similar to mine (but of course, mine is missing the all important WDW logo) And I have the wooden-look mug with the castle to the right of it! Garage sales rock!

wedway71

They hasd those at Busch Gardens as well.I was about 8 or 9 and loved those cups.They were soooo cool to a kid.It was around 1978 or so when I got mine.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom