Planning to visit for the first time - stupid question

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Going to hijack this thread with my own stupid question.

Full board meal plans is a lot of food but better value than half board. However we now get given our magic passes a few days earlier, can we use one of those the night before our stay (e.g. in disney village)

We typically get a cheaper hotel nearby the night before, so can get in the park early on the first day of our stay. A paid for dinner would be great.
So far as I know it starts from your first date of your stay.

Jordan dby

Brief report on my recent 3 day visit.

All the shows are great but Pixar show is really amazing. Main park with temporary decorations looks stunning at night, less so in the day. First time at avengers campus and that was a good addition although smaller than I expected. We met spiderman as got a slot on the app and it was something to do in middle of the day when queues are large, even though we aren't big fans it was a great experience because it's done so well. I also think indiana jones and flight force are much better rides than they get credit for.

Table service food was good everywhere but especially so at manhattan. We had the extra plus meal plan which I think they don't sell any more but was great - signature cocktails stunning and we have come home with 10 mickey and grogu cookies to eat another day.

Typical Paris issues. Not quite enough attractions. BTM was down so ended up getting fast passes for crush as it was literally the only coaster my 5 year old could do. And when crush and frozen went down the queues in WDSP were insane. A night show in WDSP and something new or original in the main park would be welcome. Also not enough photographers and we had pretty much done our list by day 2, day 3 was repeating our favourites or whatever had no queue. A genie or fast pass system would be great

Overall in terms of value for money and wider experience it's still my favourite disney resort (not done the ones in Asia)

cjkeating

Glad you had a good trip. Nice to hear a good review for the Pixar show as I had heard mixed things and unfortunately when I visited last it was on a break and the time before it was just about to premiere.

Sounds like you got everything you needed to do quite easily with the exception of Crush which was been a problem since the ride opened due to its terrible capacity. Your closing comment however raised an eyebrow...
A genie or fast pass system would be great
I was wondering how you think Genie+ or Fastpass would have helped your day? The typical consensus is that Genie+ is a disaster that is ruining a WDW vacations whilst the Premier Access style system is far superior.

Jordan dby

I used genie+ in california and found it good value for money. Didn't manage TS midway or Cars in CA but spent the day doing fun rides. I think we bought 4 passes for 7 of us and decided amicably how to use them (ok I know we aren't supposed to technically do that, but ages ranged from 4 through to 70 so different interests).

Last time I went to florida it was the fast pass system (3 fast passes per day available 6 months before, and then choose new ones). We (8 of us) quickly learned that looking for less fast pass got us most rides by splitting groups up and letting times overlap. We probably wasted our first 2 days and left having not done avatar at all because we didn't know how to optimise the system.

I've watched the defunctland video criticising the fast pass system and don't disagree with it. It massively rewards those who know what they are doing or put the effort in, and if spoken to one time disney visitors with a baby who were incredulous at having to get up at 7am to make selections whilst on holiday.

But overall it is less time standing in queues. Knowing we have to be at space mountain in 40 min and having 40 min to look forward to it, and walk and look around the beautiful parks, relaxed and with something to look forward to, is so much better than standing in a dark queue with a bunch of fed up people. My best disney moments have come from some aimless walking, surprise characters in unexpected places. We didn't get any of those this trip, we queued, we rode, we scanned the app and ran to the next queue.

Jordan dby

On the last bit - I paid $15 for genie+ in california. Fast pass is that for 1 ride or €90 for a day. If I could have spread those passes over 3 days I would pay €90 (grudgingly), but €450 for one day for my family, and you would need to run around both parks and avoid shows to do all of the rides in one day, that's not worth it. The perfect day is a couple of A list rides, a couple of small flats, a character or two, a show and time to sit and relax in the middle. Fast pass or genie gave me that but premier access doesn't.

Kevin_W

Perish the thought of a Genie system in Paris - Premiere access is bad enough. Thankfully it’s not ruined the parks as much as Orlando.

Glad you enjoyed it.

I loved that DLP had Premiere access and that it was largely unused (people are not paying €60 for their family of 4 to ride Buzz Lightyear faster). I enjoyed the old-style, democratic system where everyone just waits in line.

Clopin Trouillefou

Extremely last minute, but my mom and I might do a day trip on a day between March 9 and March 11. Any remote possibility of big thunder re-opening by then? I'm using their (absolutely fantastic) refurbishment calendar tool on the website and it looks to be closed all 3 days but opening by the 16th. I'd hate to miss it but c'est la vie (GET IT?!?!?! FRENCH!!!!)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Extremely last minute, but my mom and I might do a day trip on a day between March 9 and March 11. Any remote possibility of big thunder re-opening by then? I'm using their (absolutely fantastic) refurbishment calendar tool on the website and it looks to be closed all 3 days but opening by the 16th. I'd hate to miss it but c'est la vie (GET IT?!?!?! FRENCH!!!!)
5 days early might be pushing it a bit. Assume it won’t and you may be surprised.

Skip

Original Poster
We're missing Storybookland (bummer), Hyperspace Mountain (kind of a bummer but also maybe not super essential in its current form?), the Parachute Drop (don't really care), and the Carpets (really don't care). It is nice that they seem to be investing in regular refurbishments after so many years of dismal maintenance, at least.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
We're missing Storybookland (bummer), Hyperspace Mountain (kind of a bummer but also maybe not super essential in its current form?), the Parachute Drop (don't really care), and the Carpets (really don't care). It is nice that they seem to be investing in regular refurbishments after so many years of dismal maintenance, at least.
What dates do you travel?

Jordan dby

Pixar show really was great - good theme, great music and dancers and a really innovative use of technology - try to make sure you sit somewhere down the centre though. You don't have to be exactly in the middle but some of the tech doesn't work as intended if you are way off to the side. The Coco section is probably my favourite 3 min of any parks show ever.

Markiewong

An update: We were initially going to book Hotel Cheyenne but realized upgrading to Sequoia Lodge was less than $100 total, so we went with that. That theme is definitely more our style, and it appears to be a smidge closer to the parks.

We also had great luck getting dining reservations. We didn't end up doing the meal plan, as I feel it's a ripoff unless you believe the breakfast is truly worth a ~$30 USD value. Our bookings include Captain Jack's, Walt's, Remy's, Restaurant Manhattan, and Pym Kitchen. We'll also hopefully make our way to the Skyline Bar and the bar in our hotel, as online reviews seem to suggest a cozy atmosphere that's right up our alley.
A bit late but here are my two cents. If you are planning on eating at all those places mentioned above I would recommend taking the full board.

-- All prices are per person --
Assuming that you are staying for two nights at Sequoia Lodge, the prices for the meal plans would be:
Halfboard = 130 euros for 2x breakfast + 2x meals (3 course + drink OR buffet).
Fullboard = 210 euros for 2x breakfast + 5x meals (3 course + drink OR buffet)

You get an additional meal for full board, therefore you get 5 credits.

Price MenuPrice Drink
Captain Jacks€ 45,00€ 5,00
Walt's€ 55,00€ 5,00
Remy's€ 55,00€ 5,00
Manhattan€ 55,00€ 6,00
Pym Kitchen€ 45,00Included
Total€ 276,00

As you can see paying out of pocket for table services in DLP is significantly more expensive. Getting the full board you'll get all the meals above for 66 euros cheaper than paying out of pocket and breakfast is basically for free.

Skip

Original Poster
A bit late but here are my two cents. If you are planning on eating at all those places mentioned above I would recommend taking the full board.

-- All prices are per person --
Assuming that you are staying for two nights at Sequoia Lodge, the prices for the meal plans would be:
Halfboard = 130 euros for 2x breakfast + 2x meals (3 course + drink OR buffet).
Fullboard = 210 euros for 2x breakfast + 5x meals (3 course + drink OR buffet)

You get an additional meal for full board, therefore you get 5 credits.

Price MenuPrice Drink
Captain Jacks€ 45,00€ 5,00
Walt's€ 55,00€ 5,00
Remy's€ 55,00€ 5,00
Manhattan€ 55,00€ 6,00
Pym Kitchen€ 45,00Included
Total€ 276,00

As you can see paying out of pocket for table services in DLP is significantly more expensive. Getting the full board you'll get all the meals above for 66 euros cheaper than paying out of pocket and breakfast is basically for free.

Everything about what you're saying here makes sense except for the unfortunate fact that the full board plan does not include Walt's, which we'd really like to visit.

nickys

Premium Member
Everything about what you're saying here makes sense except for the unfortunate fact that the full board plan does not include Walt's, which we'd really like to visit.
Walt’s is closed for a refurb, maybe that’s why you’re not seeing it on the plan just now.
I think it’s re-opening very soon though.

Edit: it has already re-opened, on Friday.

Skip

Original Poster
Walt’s is closed for a refurb, maybe that’s why you’re not seeing it on the plan just now.
I think it’s re-opening very soon though.

Edit: it has already re-opened, on Friday.

Aha! So it *is* covered by the fullboard plan purchasable with Sequoia Lodge reservations? Is it possible to add the fullboard plan after the hotel/ticket reservations have already been made?

nickys

Premium Member
Aha! So it *is* covered by the fullboard plan purchasable with Sequoia Lodge reservations? Is it possible to add the fullboard plan after the hotel/ticket reservations have already been made?
I think you have to call to add the dining plan.

If you’re US based I believe you can call the US line and ask to be transferred - just check the time difference first! ET + 6 hrs for France.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom