Planning to visit for the first time - stupid question

Skip

Original Poster
Hi there,

I'm about to be one of those people. I have zero experience with Disneyland Paris but am going to be in the area for a few days this May. We were thinking two nights in an on-site hotel with 2.5-3 days in the parks. Am I wrong in thinking the best way to go about this is to just book a package through the official channels? I've done some light reading from the trip resources, and this still seems the most economical path forward. I did compare US vs UK prices and found slight savings through the latter.

Separately, are the meal packages worth it? We do prefer sitdown meals when we do the parks. Anything specific we should avoid?

LondonTom

Hi there,

I'm about to be one of those people. I have zero experience with Disneyland Paris but am going to be in the area for a few days this May. We were thinking two nights in an on-site hotel with 2.5-3 days in the parks. Am I wrong in thinking the best way to go about this is to just book a package through the official channels? I've done some light reading from the trip resources, and this still seems the most economical path forward. I did compare US vs UK prices and found slight savings through the latter.

Separately, are the meal packages worth it? We do prefer sitdown meals when we do the parks. Anything specific we should avoid?
You can also check the other countries for deals, but unless you have an AP, it tends to be cheaper to do it directly with them. (Some tour companies/travel agents, might occasionally get a good deal on precise dates with group travel is the only other thing I can think of). Also, Google Translate is your friend as other country sites can offer different deals when you book!

Meal packages depend if you get an offer /how often you plan to eat the full meals, most if not all (The Royal Pub/Brasserie Rosalie might accept them too?) are Prixe Fixe with two options (a standard and premium menu) so worth looking in the app at the menus and seeing where you might eat against the meal plan cost.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I’ve not heard of massive savings by not booking officially. We also know of times the UK site had better pricing than say the Netherlands site.

We always do the half board plan. Big big breakfast And big mid afternoon / evening meal is more than enough (and we like our food!) - we’ll then have coffee and cake or similar as our “third meal”.

Just have a look at the app / website menus for pricing. Ensure you’ll at least break even cost wise. No point using your main meal allowance for a burger and fries. Eg I know the Disneyland hotel meal plan is €134 pppd. Breakfast is €45. So long as your main meal is an expensive €89 or more you save money (a very expensive example but you get the idea). But it’s also very convenient to prepay and we do enjoy the food and venues.

Last edited:

Jordan dby

I always get meal plans although I think they were better value before than now (often with special offers - pre covid meal olans were free ifn the hotel was booked 6 months or more in advance). It's a much better experience to pay in one go and relax when there than get ripped off 2-3 times a day.

Also agree that usually half board is enough. Breakfast is a buffet, you can take a snack with you for later. Another buffet meal at 5pm say would satisfy anyone. I find dlp good for restaurants vs the us parks if you want proper food and not just burger and chips.

Skip

Original Poster
Thank you all for the advice. Sounds like the half board plan is the way to go - I think I can get the math to math there.

I don't think I'm seeing any real "offers" popping up - not sure where those would appear, but if someone could point me in the right direction on that front, I'd appreciate it.

Jordan dby

Nah offers are a thing of the past. My last trip pre covid was £1,500 for a family of 4 (the 5th was too young and free), 3 days 2 nights in Disneyland hotel, breakfast and dinner each day, character dining each one. The offer was 25% off and free meal plans, and this was early September so in school holidays.

It would be triple that now I reckon and then add a bit more for child #3.

And I miss fastpass, even the naff french paper version.

Still love disney but definitely getting more for less. I priced up california recently and if you are visiting paris I'd take advantage of the on site hotel and restaurant experience. It's a great campus set up. That is the big upside vs US parks

Skip

Original Poster
Is there anything particularly wrong with the Hotel Santa Fe? We really only need a convenient place to crash and a way to access on-site perks like early park entry.

LondonTom

Is there anything particularly wrong with the Hotel Santa Fe? We really only need a convenient place to crash and a way to access on-site perks like early park entry.
Its a tad further to walk from the parks, in the summer it gets hot as it doesn't have AC just a ceiling fan (the bed wasn't great but thats true at SL too). You can be in one of the upstairs rooms and they don't have lifts. Doesn't have access to a pool either.

Other than its clean and nice enough but a few issues that your mileage may vary on if they are issues for you.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Its a tad further to walk from the parks, in the summer it gets hot as it doesn't have AC just a ceiling fan (the bed wasn't great but thats true at SL too). You can be in one of the upstairs rooms and they don't have lifts. Doesn't have access to a pool either.

Other than its clean and nice enough but a few issues that your mileage may vary on if they are issues for you.
I would add that the higher buildings do have lifts. Thankfully. But I would have written your other points myself.

Santa Fe is certainly of its price band, but you can get a big buffet breakfast, it has bag store, and is clean with a bed and shower which could fulfil the needs of @Skip

Skip

Original Poster

Thanks for this. I do like having AC, so we may go up a tier to the Hotel Cheyenne.

Skip

Original Poster
An update: We were initially going to book Hotel Cheyenne but realized upgrading to Sequoia Lodge was less than $100 total, so we went with that. That theme is definitely more our style, and it appears to be a smidge closer to the parks.

We also had great luck getting dining reservations. We didn't end up doing the meal plan, as I feel it's a ripoff unless you believe the breakfast is truly worth a ~$30 USD value. Our bookings include Captain Jack's, Walt's, Remy's, Restaurant Manhattan, and Pym Kitchen. We'll also hopefully make our way to the Skyline Bar and the bar in our hotel, as online reviews seem to suggest a cozy atmosphere that's right up our alley.

LondonTom

Sequoia's great! (I think our summer trip was also slightly cheaper than Cheyenne, which seems weird!), I usually often end up staying there as its still reasonable-ish priced and you get the pool (though you do have to go outside to get to it so winter trips can be odd 😂 )

Great selection on your restaurant reservations and yes I think its the best hotel bar now, as its still got that cosy/comfortable vibe that as cool as Skyline Bar is, is missing and seemingly DLH bar now to

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
An update: We were initially going to book Hotel Cheyenne but realized upgrading to Sequoia Lodge was less than $100 total, so we went with that. That theme is definitely more our style, and it appears to be a smidge closer to the parks.

We also had great luck getting dining reservations. We didn't end up doing the meal plan, as I feel it's a ripoff unless you believe the breakfast is truly worth a ~$30 USD value. Our bookings include Captain Jack's, Walt's, Remy's, Restaurant Manhattan, and Pym Kitchen. We'll also hopefully make our way to the Skyline Bar and the bar in our hotel, as online reviews seem to suggest a cozy atmosphere that's right up our alley.
Sequoia is our normal “go to” resort.

Main building or lodge ?

Kevin_W

Our bookings include Captain Jack's, Walt's, Remy's, Restaurant Manhattan, and Pym Kitchen. We'll also hopefully make our way to the Skyline Bar and the bar in our hotel, as online reviews seem to suggest a cozy atmosphere that's right up our alley.

Good choices. I thought Pym's kitchen was a CS place like in California and didn't realize it was a buffet until we ate there last year. I am not usually a big fan of buffets but we really enjoyed Pym's and it was one of the highlights of our trip.

Great theming at Pym's, Captain Jacks, and Remy's (I haven't been to the other two) and that's what I look for in a Disney restaurant.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The selection from the hotel site specified "near facilities," so I assume that's main building. Is it better to request a lodge?
That does sound like the main building. Both are good, it depends on what you like (or how many times you’ve stayed) and also the weather.

Main building can be an elevator or a corridor walk to dining or reception. Depending on location within the building (the wings especially on the ground floor) you may also be able to cut outside and walk through the woods to the facilities too.

The lodges are stand alone buildings of 2 or 3 stories separate to the main building. It can be a 5, 10, 15 minute walk to facilities (but same time to the parks). AFAIK the rooms in lodges are the same as main building rooms give or take the width of windows.

Having stayed in the main building 3 times, when we got a lodge room it was with uncertainty but it was a gorgenus walk along wooded pathways with birdsong each morning and under the stars at night - but it was summer in an unexpected heatwave! A rainy cold January might not feel the same. If you do have time and are staying in the main building, taking a walk around the lodge area would be well worth ten minutes (and hunt out the lake and bubbling stream. And the beaver dam - with beavers!)

Have some landscape photos!

IMG_2702.jpeg
IMG_2962.jpeg
IMG_3224.jpeg
IMG_3229.jpeg
IMG_3253.jpeg
IMG_3524.jpeg
IMG_3555.jpeg
IMG_3560.jpeg
IMG_3822.jpeg

Last edited:

LondonTom

I've always been rather lucky in Sequoia Lodge and have been near reception in the main building (Sometimes a ride up in the lift but relatively near). The best time was "ground" floor I think? (It gets confusing where the floors actually are) but between the lift and near to the exit to the Swimming Pool path 😂

Matrin is as always quite correct, the outside by the lodges, is surprisingly peaceful and the background loop is great. It does get very cold in January though once thought it was a good idea not to change out of my swimming shorts going back to our room in January 😂

Jordan dby

Going to hijack this thread with my own stupid question.

Full board meal plans is a lot of food but better value than half board. However we now get given our magic passes a few days earlier, can we use one of those the night before our stay (e.g. in disney village)

We typically get a cheaper hotel nearby the night before, so can get in the park early on the first day of our stay. A paid for dinner would be great.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom