Planning Feb Trip

OK, So Im planning a Feb trip for a 6 night/7 day stay at Disney DLX hotel.

My first dilemma is what the weather will be like? What should we plan to pack and will we have ANY pool days? What is the avg temp - morning, noon, night?

Second which deluxe to stay at? Originally I was booked at Bay Lake in December, that trip was scratched. Between Bay Lake - If Available (Studio MK view), Contemp Cheapest (Tower MK View), Grand (MK View), or Poly (MK View). I am travelling with my wife and 3 year old daughter. I plan on using the DLX dining so good restaurant options are a must. So where should I stay?

Last, any chance I hit a nice promotion going during this time, I know the crowds are very light before PRES day? Will I get lucky with a buy 4 get 3 free?

lilclerk

I've been twice during the first week of February, including earlier this year. It's my favorite time to go, crowds are light and the weather isn't overbearingly hot. Both times, it actually started out pretty cold (sweatshirt weather) then got progressively warmer as the week went on til we were down to shorts/t-shirts. The weather can be a bit unpredictable at that time of year.
The pools are heated, so swimming is great, but when/if it's cold you won't want to get out!
I did get discounts both times, too. This year I got the buy 4/get 3, in 2007 I got the free park hopper/water park and more upgrade.

Upvote 0

Susan Savia

We go in February one year, and January the next. February could bring you an assortment of weather types. We have worn shorts one day and we have worn jeans and a sweatshirt the next, and at night a jacket on top of that. It seems once its dark, it cools off very fast and it gets cold. Best thing to do is take a small assortment of each (shorts, tees, jeans) so you are covered. Makes packing rough but having that extra sweatshirt can save $ having to buy one on a cold night.

Can't say about the resort, as we prefer accommodations offsite that include parking at our door, internet in our room, complimentary breakfast, newspaper and a mini fridge and microwave. I think if I won a contest and had that choice I'd go with the Contemporary, MK view tho. :)

Upvote 0

Disneyfalcon

February temps are hit and miss. Usually they're quite nice, but you can get a cold front come through and it will be chilly. Even then, on sunny afternoons, there will be kids in the pools.

Your resort options all look amazing, you can't go wrong with any of them. If I had to put them in order, I'd pick:
1. Grand Floridian
2. BLT
3. Polynesian
4. Contemporary

Nothing has been announced for a 2010 promotion yet, but we're all hoping!:)

Upvote 0

mikegiordano0

Original Poster
I've been twice during the first week of February, including earlier this year. It's my favorite time to go, crowds are light and the weather isn't overbearingly hot. Both times, it actually started out pretty cold (sweatshirt weather) then got progressively warmer as the week went on til we were down to shorts/t-shirts. The weather can be a bit unpredictable at that time of year.
The pools are heated, so swimming is great, but when/if it's cold you won't want to get out!
I did get discounts both times, too. This year I got the buy 4/get 3, in 2007 I got the free park hopper/water park and more upgrade.

Great info thanks for the help.
I prefer cool nights, and warm enough days to enjoy the pool.

Upvote 0

mikegiordano0

Original Poster
February temps are hit and miss. Usually they're quite nice, but you can get a cold front come through and it will be chilly. Even then, on sunny afternoons, there will be kids in the pools.

Your resort options all look amazing, you can't go wrong with any of them. If I had to put them in order, I'd pick:
1. Grand Floridian
2. BLT
3. Polynesian
4. Contemporary

Nothing has been announced for a 2010 promotion yet, but we're all hoping!:)

Thanks Im just waiting for the new rates to come out before I book. I like the Grand just hope my daughter will like it.

Upvote 0

harveyt0206

I too have always wondered about a trip in February as my birthday and hubby's b'day are only a week apart, so I would love to go. My hope is to go in Feb. 2011. After you book your trip, let us know what you decided on and then when you get back if you have a chance maybe you could post a trip report with your impressions for traveling during that time. Best of luck!!

And PS: I've stayed at the Polynesian and absolutely loved it. We are staying at the Contemporary for the first time this coming September so I am really excited to see what it is like. I don't know if you would consider the Wilderness but I find it to be very family friendly and the boat ride back from MK at the end of the evening is very relaxing.

Upvote 0

mikegiordano0

Original Poster
I too have always wondered about a trip in February as my birthday and hubby's b'day are only a week apart, so I would love to go. My hope is to go in Feb. 2011. After you book your trip, let us know what you decided on and then when you get back if you have a chance maybe you could post a trip report with your impressions for traveling during that time. Best of luck!!

And PS: I've stayed at the Polynesian and absolutely loved it. We are staying at the Contemporary for the first time this coming September so I am really excited to see what it is like. I don't know if you would consider the Wilderness but I find it to be very family friendly and the boat ride back from MK at the end of the evening is very relaxing.

As soon as I book it I will let u know. I will post my impressions for travelling at that time.

Were still weighing options with the hotels. Right now my daughter - poly, wife - grand and myself I could go either way or Bay Lake. I will keep updates.

Upvote 0

going2oahu

I think you can plan for median temperatures in the upper 60s although you may still have some scorchers and/or chilly days. Usually gets a litle brisk in the evenings.

Upvote 0

kstella

I wouldn't count on being able to swim after the sun goes down as the evenings are pretty cool.

As to where to stay, I can't comment because I usually stay at FW, but if I had a chance at BLT with a MK view, I'd go for it.

Upvote 0

SuzieN

I see that you are from NY....if you're anything like my family the weather will feel like summer after so many months of winter and you'll be in the pool!!! February is a perfect time to go! We went the 2nd week in February in '08 and also in '06 and it was nice and warm but not scorching hot. The crowds are much lighter then too. Enjoy your trip!

Upvote 0

AGentlRose

We were there Feb. 1 - Feb. 6, 2008 and the first half of the trip the weather was great, the second half was unseasonably cold, by that I mean one morning it was 29º. Coming from Las Vegas,we didn't come with winter jackets, I had four layers of clothing on and was freezing. So you have to check the accuweather forecast before you go to pack accordingly. Crowds during that week were light, even though Sunday was Superbowl Sunday. We stayed at the Polynesian and it was lovely, but I'd stay at any monorail resort if you plan to spend most of your time at the Magic Kingdom.

Upvote 0

mikegiordano0

Original Poster
I wouldn't count on being able to swim after the sun goes down as the evenings are pretty cool.

As to where to stay, I can't comment because I usually stay at FW, but if I had a chance at BLT with a MK view, I'd go for it.

We dont plan on swimming when the sun goes down anyway. It's more for me to send my wife by the pool, while I go to the parks with my daughter.

Upvote 0

mikegiordano0

Original Poster
I see that you are from NY....if you're anything like my family the weather will feel like summer after so many months of winter and you'll be in the pool!!! February is a perfect time to go! We went the 2nd week in February in '08 and also in '06 and it was nice and warm but not scorching hot. The crowds are much lighter then too. Enjoy your trip!

Thanks, by that time in NY it is absolutely freezing, so no matter what it will be nicer than back home.

Upvote 0

mikegiordano0

Original Poster
We were there Feb. 1 - Feb. 6, 2008 and the first half of the trip the weather was great, the second half was unseasonably cold, by that I mean one morning it was 29º. Coming from Las Vegas,we didn't come with winter jackets, I had four layers of clothing on and was freezing. So you have to check the accuweather forecast before you go to pack accordingly. Crowds during that week were light, even though Sunday was Superbowl Sunday. We stayed at the Polynesian and it was lovely, but I'd stay at any monorail resort if you plan to spend most of your time at the Magic Kingdom.

Any monorail resort will do, thats really the reason were deciding to go for the extra expense.

Right now my rankings are leaning in this order
Grand Floridian
Poly
BLT
Contemp

I am going to go with MK View, but do any of these hotels not have a balcony with MK view? From what I read it seemed like some rooms in the Contemp dont have a balcony even with an MK view.

Upvote 0

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Does anyone have anyone idea or guesses as to when specials and discount packages might be released for February? I can't remember when the offer was announced last year, but I feel like it was the fall. Any guesses, wise ones?

Upvote 0

mikegiordano0

Original Poster
Does anyone have anyone idea or guesses as to when specials and discount packages might be released for February? I can't remember when the offer was announced last year, but I feel like it was the fall. Any guesses, wise ones?

Well they wont be released until the new rates are out and any existing promotion ends. I believe early fall like October or November, but I will be booking my package ASAP and then just adding the discount when it comes out.

Upvote 0

michaelcosgrove

Went in 1st week of Feb. in 2008 and weather was great. Highs in the mid 80"s (unseasonably warm) and nights were in the 50's. Just make sure it is not the same week as Mardi Gras as I think every fan of LSU was at Disney that week.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom