Pizza flyer scam still happening in the Orlando area

Pioneer Hall

Agreed! Seems like an inexpensive way for Disney (and others) to kill the scam. If the hotel is informing guests about the warning, the pool of people that actually call based on the flier would dry up significantly.

Hotels should just post a sign on the door inside the room talking about solicitations and flyers for illegal activities and tell guests to call the front desk for an official list of pizza places. Sure you'd still get idiots who'd call and order, but hopefully it'll stop the majority of people.

Disney actually does alert their guests of the situation. Next to the phone in each resort room there is a notice (looks like a times guide) that tells you to be on the lookout and only order pizza from recognized restaurants.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Original Poster
So if it was reported in January, this means it's been going on for a while? Since last year then? WOW :eek:
It is my understanding that it has been an issue for several years. The Florida legislature actually had to pass a law against the distribution of flyers at hotels to combat the problem.

Javier Boughton

on my last trip we stayed at the staybridge suites in lake buena vista.

there was a sign by the phone saying this, that the hotel had agreements with pizza restaurants and were posted on the sign and that we should not call any restaurant that drop flyers

they even encourage to call them in case you receive one.

worldfanatic

Frankly, if I was moronic enough to give a credit card number to some random pizza place......I'd deserve every bit of headache I received.

Domino's? Pizza Hut? No problem.

Slick Vinny's Pizza Palace? Ummmmmmm no.

The scammers are jackasses. But so are those who were scammed.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Yes, because those who have never traveled to the area are automatically going to be suspicious or distrusting of what appears to be a local pizza establishment....

Thankfully the word is getting out though. Even the off-site resorts are restricting what establishments visitors can order from.

s8film40

Many times even if they do legitimately deliver pizza it can take a long time and often times they will use store bought pizza reheated/cooked in their home. It's always best to go with something reputable. If your in an area your unfamiliar with just go with the regulars Pizza Hut, Dominos etc. or ask the front desk for some of the reputable local places.

mimitchi33

This topic would also count as a great safety lesson in avoiding frauds!
The flyer wasn't in MY room last visit, but does anybody know if these flyers were passed out at the Contemporary Resort or at the Disney Vacation Club Villas?

We had a pizza flyer slipped in under our door at Riverside in May. It promptly got filed in the recycling box and we didn't even think twice about it. I'm glad to know we did that and didn't consider ordering in case it was fraudulent.

thelookingglass

I'm surprised the city hasn't done more to actually track down the people doing this. It shouldn't be that hard, they leave a phone number on the flyer.

Oh wait, no, its Orlando. I'm not surprised.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Original Poster
The flyer wasn't in MY room last visit, but does anybody know if these flyers were passed out at the Contemporary Resort or at the Disney Vacation Club Villas?
It can happen anywhere.

s8film40

I'm surprised the city hasn't done more to actually track down the people doing this. It shouldn't be that hard, they leave a phone number on the flyer.

WDW is not in Orlando and the Orlando city government has no jurisdiction over anything happening at WDW.

The state recently was working to pass a law to make this illegal. I think I heard that this passed but I haven't heard any of the details about it yet and if or how it is being enforced.

bruce1959

Pizza Scam

My kids and I stayed at the Best Western Lake Buena Vista on Hotel Plaza Drive which is technically Disney property the last week of October 2009. Someone had delivered flyers to every door on our floor. Im glad it was not a scam but the hotel put out a voice mail that these outside vendors were not allowed on property. I agree you just cannot allow everyone and his brother using hotel property to sell something what ever it is. I did purchase one and the driver had me meet him in the parking lot!!

Testtrack321

Disney actually does alert their guests of the situation. Next to the phone in each resort room there is a notice (looks like a times guide) that tells you to be on the lookout and only order pizza from recognized restaurants.

Great to hear, though I don't know how many people will look at the hotel phones in the age of cell phones.

Frankly, if I was moronic enough to give a credit card number to some random pizza place......I'd deserve every bit of headache I received.

Domino's? Pizza Hut? No problem.

Slick Vinny's Pizza Palace? Ummmmmmm no.

The scammers are jackasses. But so are those who were scammed.

It's just the assumption that WDW is just like "at home" and not like NYC. It's the false sense of over security that gets to people. Not their fault, not Disney's. And lets be honest, we love that feeling too. :D

mergatroid

Great warning there. I think our resident police officer Jimmy Thick should start the investigation :animwink:

Jimmy Thick - Being robbed by fraudsters

lazyboy97o

Many times even if they do legitimately deliver pizza it can take a long time and often times they will use store bought pizza reheated/cooked in their home. It's always best to go with something reputable. If your in an area your unfamiliar with just go with the regulars Pizza Hut, Dominos etc. or ask the front desk for some of the reputable local places.
I can get Pizza Hut, Dominos, Papa John's anywhere anytime I want (not that I normally would). Part of the joy in traveling is enjoying new and different foods. There are legitimate local pizzerias.

mp2bill

This more of a FYI, keep on your toes kind of news. For those that do not know what the pizza flyer scam is here is the low down.

You find a flyer for $9.99 pizza delivery slipped under your hotel room door. It is typically a restaurant you have never heard of and no address is on the flyer.....just a phone number. So you decide to give your wallet a break from $10 cheese burgers and order a couple of cheap pizzas from the flyer. Low and behold no pizza's show up and your credit card that you gave them is maxed out with fraudulent charges.

From the article it does not look like WDW hotels are being targeted but the problem at off property resorts especially along I-drive is as bad as ever.

So word to the wise.....if you see one of these fliers tell the hotel management and above all do not order from them.

http://jacksonvillenorthestates.firstcoastnews.com/news/crime/taking-weekend-trip-orlando-dont-order-pizza/54964

Sneaky bast...jerks. Even though I won't be going down any time soon, thanks for the heads up.

SJFPKT

If you buy a pre-paid or what I commonly refer to as a "throw down" phone, it is hard to track as you don't have to give ID or other information. The only real way to track those is with a triggerfish and that requires a court order and some other info. In other words they would have to be set up on it and ready to go as those are probably a 1 night deal then get a new phone.

thelookingglass

For awesome local pizza around Disney, I recommend Flippers. Some of the best pizza I've ever had!
WDW is not in Orlando and the Orlando city government has no jurisdiction over anything happening at WDW.

The state recently was working to pass a law to make this illegal. I think I heard that this passed but I haven't heard any of the details about it yet and if or how it is being enforced.
But the problem is all over the Orlando area, not just limited to Disney hotels.

TwoTigersMom

I receieved them in my villa at Kidani 3 out of our 5 nights there, last week. I also got them at Beach Club Villas and Villas at Wilderness Lodge at least once each resort.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom