Pixar's Onward

mikejs78

Premium Member
I criticized an upcoming Pixar film and some dum-dum decided to react to my opinion by insulting me personally. That's not trollish behavior? Interesting how you pick and choose who to lecture, there, dude...
How were you insulted by that? I looked back and didn't see where they insulted you....

Magenta Panther

How were you insulted by that? I looked back and didn't see where they insulted you....

Post #65:

Magenta Panther said:

Yeah, the more I hear about this, the less I'm interested in it. Unicorns eating out of the trash, har de har har. Plus wokeness and uninspired character design. Not to mention the literally half-dead dad. Maybe Pixar should have named it "The Brotherhood of the Traveling Pants". :p

After which General Mayhem chose to say:
No offense but based on your tirades on this board over the years your opinion means nothing.

Magenta Panther

So what are your thoughts on "Raya and the Last Dragon" and "Soul"? Especially since Raya and the Last Dragon is a Disney Film that caught my interest since it's revel last D23.

FWIW, I really like the dragon design. And Soul looks interesting. Especially the lead character.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
PHOTO-Baby-Yoda-With-A-Bowl-Of-Popcorn.jpg

General Mayhem

I criticized an upcoming Pixar film and some dum-dum decided to react to my opinion by insulting me personally. That's not trollish behavior? Interesting how you pick and choose who to lecture, there, dude...
Listen here darling, I'm not the one who has caused so much outrage that people speak with vitriol about you on not only this site, but Tumblr, Twitter, Facebook, and beyond. While I'm sure you hold that with a badge of pride, don't get upset when people don't take your clownery seriously after 10 years of it.
Clownery2.gif

Magenta Panther

Listen here darling, I'm not the one who has caused so much outrage that people speak with vitriol about you on not only this site, but Tumblr, Twitter, Facebook, and beyond. While I'm sure you hold that with a badge of pride, don't get upset when people don't take your clownery seriously after 10 years of it.
View attachment 451003

Oh, sweetheart, I wasn't upset. I view triggering those who worship felt and foam rubber and declare fatwas on those who don't share their reverence as an occasional side-effect of my expressing my honest opinion, and as that's something I can't control, I don't take it seriously, and I don't take those who get so hilariously riled up over puppets seriously, and I don't take YOU seriously. What are you so hot and bothered about, anyway? Why did you get so cheesed over my skepticism about Onward? Why are so invested in it that you couldn't take someone's negative view about it? Not that I much care. Just curious.

Last edited:

mikejs78

Premium Member
Oh, sweetheart, I wasn't upset. I view triggering those who worship felt and foam rubber and declare fatwas on those who don't share their reverence as an occasional side-effect of my expressing my honest opinion, and as that's something I can't control, I don't take it seriously, and I don't take those who get so hilariously riled up over puppets seriously, and I don't take YOU seriously. What are you so hot and bothered about, anyway? Why did you get so cheesed over my skepticism about Onward? Why are so invested in it that you couldn't take someone's negative view about it? Not that I much care. Just curious.
Honestly, and I mean this sincerely, but if you simply shared your opinion no one would have an issue with you. Instead, you frequently attack those who don't share your opinion and accuse them of having no taste. I'm sorry, but you are not the arbitor of good taste.

A word of advice, take it or leave it, and I mean this with sincerity - if you took the edge off some of your posts and comments, people would take you more seriously. But I suspect you don't really care about that, and you prefer getting your lolz.

erasure fan1

but what's interesting to me are the comments below the article. Some interesting, rational, truthful observations. Some folks here ought to read them and get a little perspective. Or not. *shrug*
Not that we need another I hate the muppets tangent from you, but the coments don't really support your view as a whole. Some agree with you, some not. But overall it supports more like the franchise than not. And in no way does it support your strange hate for the muppets.

Magenta Panther

Not that we need another I hate the muppets tangent from you, but the coments don't really support your view as a whole. Some agree with you, some not. But overall it supports more like the franchise than not. And in no way does it support your strange hate for the muppets.

"Strange hate", yeah, sure. The point is that some of the commentators acknowledged the simple fact that the Muppets are done, and that's the reason they're not popular anymore. They've had their day. That', IMO, is likely the opinion of most folks. Here are a few of the most reasonable ones:

"The Muppets hasn't really run on all cylinders since Jim Henson passed. In fact, the track record of the Disney Muppets seems to be quite similar to the nineties Muppets, with a couple of well recieved movies, some unneccesary specials, a TV-show that no one really saw the point of. If they produce a movie that makes so little money that they have to sell the entire franchise to a shady foreign company, they'll be full circle. "

"Agreed. The Muppets was "lightning a bottle," caught by Henson and Frank Oz. Without both of them, it just doesn't work."

"Then why did Disney want to buy them? The cynical and selfish answer to that is obvious, but for a calculated company centered on profit, it would have made more sense for them to just ignore such an outlier franchise, even with the rich history it has from eras that are now past.

Disney's decision was the equivalent of purchasing the rights to the Laurel and Hardy characters because of how beloved they were in clearly bygone decades.

Not saying the Muppets aren't rightly a beloved component of everyone's nostalgia shelf, or that they should ever be forgotten or left behind in pop culture. Just that it's weird for Disney to have set their greedy sights on the franchise at this late hour in their history, all things considered."

The above are quite a refreshing, mature contrast to the bizarre "If only Disney did them RIGHT they'd be HUGE again!!!" attitude from some here.

Bottom line, maybe buying out played-out franchises that didn't originate within the creative niche of the company isn't always a foolproof way to profit. And as for the stupid "hate" accusation, well, I guess I hate Marvel and Star Wars because I don't think Disney should have bought them either and I sure as hell don't like them in the Parks (and Pandora is an even bigger irritant). But of course I don't hate them, I'm indifferent to the franchises for the most part. It's just that Eisner buying the Muppets didn't make sense at the time (unlike Disney's later purchase of Pixar, because of its success, its ties to Disney and similar sensibilities) and it makes even less sense now, since the puppets haven't begun to recoup their investment after all these years. Now TDO is sticking them on park restaurants (hey, did you know that Tangled only got a bathroom?) The absurdity and wrong-headedness speaks for itself.

Sharon&Susan

Interestingly enough, Cracked.com has a new article about the puppets: https://www.cracked.com/article_27126_boy-disney-has-sure-screwed-up-muppets.html

It's full of the usual rubbish about how it's Disney's fault they're no longer popular, but what's interesting to me are the comments below the article. Some interesting, rational, truthful observations. Some folks here ought to read them and get a little perspective. Or not. *shrug*

We live in 2020, where 80's and 90's nostalgia is king and mediocre/bad franchises like Bubsy can be revived. And you're telling me that there's no way that Disney couldn't have possibly successfully revived a franchise that had most popular TV show in the early 80's with four very successful movies under it's belt?

erasure fan1

The above are quite a refreshing, mature contrast to the bizarre "If only Disney did them RIGHT they'd be HUGE again!!!" attitude from some here.
In the words of yoda, that is why you fail. I'll repeat, NO ONE thinks they will be huge again. And yes, it is a strange hate you have. You keep going on about all these people who want the muppets to be some go to franchise. But that isn't what anyone is saying.
and it makes even less sense now, since the puppets haven't begun to recoup their investment after all these years.
And how do you figure that? The 2011 movie exceeded its budget by the reported cost of the franchise. That, coupled with licensing, commercials... It has made money for Disney. I get it, you don't think Disney should have purchased them. And that is perfectly fine. Same for star wars, marvel and Pixar. But this nonsense that the muppets have no relevance, or can't have any, is wrong. I've pointed out that the muppet viral videos garnered more views than most all of the Mickey shorts. That alone shows they have relevance.

Magenta Panther

We live in 2020, where 80's and 90's nostalgia is king and mediocre/bad franchises like Bubsy can be revived. And you're telling me that there's no way that Disney couldn't have possibly successfully revived a franchise that had most popular TV show in the early 80's with four very successful movies under it's belt?

Disney tried to revive them - gave them a YouTube platform, two movies, and two TV shows. And Disney, according to reports, let the people behind the characters do what they wanted without much interference. (Do you really think it was Disney's idea to have the puppets say curse words on network television?) Result: pretty much a fail. Just what else could Disney do to revive them? And after all those attempts, why should Disney keep throwing good money after bad? Now let me ask you something: the characters have already had a number of movies, none huge successes, but nonetheless there is already plenty of puppet entertainment for you to watch to your heart's content. Why on earth do you need more? Why do you want more when every new entry is a lesser one?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom