Pixar's Coco.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
I didn't mind the Frozen "short". but I also knew it was going to be airing and that it was 20 minutes long. I'm still annoyed that they haven't given Jonathan Groff a good song yet, they keep giving him weirdness. Kristoff need a real song!

Bairstow

Between the interminable Frozen short and the movie itself, did anyone see an awkward, 15-second long announcement segment from Pixar thanking everyone for seeing the movie? It showed brief "making-of" footage and emphasized how many people work at Pixar. This was clearly filmed at the last minute sometime last week on someone's i-phone and was the most blatant piece of post-Lasseter damage control imaginable. It seemed so out of place and unnecessary, especially given that anyone who just forked over $15 per ticket to see Coco clearly aren't the kinds of people Pixar needs to beg forgiveness from right now.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Between the interminable Frozen short and the movie itself, did anyone see an awkward, 15-second long announcement segment from Pixar thanking everyone for seeing the movie? It showed brief "making-of" footage and emphasized how many people work at Pixar. This was clearly filmed at the last minute sometime last week on someone's i-phone and was the most blatant piece of post-Lasseter damage control imaginable. It seemed so out of place and unnecessary, especially given that anyone who just forked over $15 per ticket to see Coco clearly aren't the kinds of people Pixar needs to beg forgiveness from right now.
I was wondering about that too.

Jahona

Loved Coco, was disappointed in the Frozen short. It wasn't really coherent and jumped around to much. I snickered twice at a joke but mostly felt unsatisfied. It made me long for a good Pixar short when it finished.

Coco got me a little blurry eyed during several of the scenes. It was a great story overall. A bit predictable at times but good none the less. The city of the dead was beautifully rendered with color.

Animaniac93-98

I saw it too, but it seemed more like a reminder that Coco was about to start and people should get back to their seats ASAP.

When The Rescuers Down Under was paired with Prince and the Pauper, they had a specially animated "intermission" between the two. It has never been released to home video, but you can see it here:

It would have been cool to see one for Coco.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

I've seen such promos before where the movie creators talk about the work that went into the movie and thanked the audience for coming. I just can't remember if that was a Pixar or Disney thing or it was done for other studios too. But I'm pretty sure I've seen a handful of them.

tongaloosh

Coco - loved.

The Frozen “short” before Coco - thought it would NEVER end. Ugh.
I'm a fan of Frozen, but that short...eh. While I laughed at a couple of jokes, ultimately I felt like I was watching a full-length movie that was severely edited for time.

Coco was fantastic though. Definitely one of Pixar's best in a long, long time. And that soundtrack! We need more films like this.

Last edited:

Ariel484

I forgot about that! I didn’t like that because it showed me a freaking scene from the movie...I hadn’t read reviews or seen pictures or anything and would have preferred to have seen that part for the first time actually DURING the movie. That was annoying.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member

I was wondering about that too.

I've seen such promos before where the movie creators talk about the work that went into the movie and thanked the audience for coming. I just can't remember if that was a Pixar or Disney thing or it was done for other studios too. But I'm pretty sure I've seen a handful of them.

Yep. These promos have been more prevelant. I think its an attempt to remind people that there alot of people that contribute and to please not watch pirated movies. Put a human touch to what seems like a huge inhuman business.

brb1006

I saw it too, but it seemed more like a reminder that Coco was about to start and people should get back to their seats ASAP.

When The Rescuers Down Under was paired with Prince and the Pauper, they had a specially animated "intermission" between the two. It has never been released to home video, but you can see it here:

It would have been cool to see one for Coco.

I think the uploader even mentioned another version of the intermission that was in better quality. But anyway, I'm just picturing Olaf along with Anna and Elsa doing something like that.

Bairstow

Not specifically similar to what Disney did but at the end of movies for a while now there's been a card that says something like "the making of this motion picture took the efforts of 15,000 people."

I think these are usually called "credits".
What Pixar did here is decidedly not usual.

Amidala

There were a lot of things I liked about Coco, but something about the plot progression left me unsatisfied. Obviously the film was stunning to look at, and the characterization was incredible. But it sometimes felt like the writers were so enamored with their twist ending (the last 1/4 or so of the film) that the earlier 3/4 was all about getting there as quickly as possible. I felt very aware as an audience member of being moved from Point A to Point B, so to speak (as in, we have to go to X place to retrieve this, and Y place to perform with it), so it all felt a little stilted for me. I'm not blaming this on Molina by any means (in fact, I would guess his insights into the culture were what made Coco feel so authentic) but more so on Pixar, which is beginning to feel a little too much like a well-oiled machine. Some of the best Pixar films (like Up, Ratatouille, Wall-E etc.) unfold so naturally and manage to really immerse you in their fictional settings, whereas with Coco, I felt that The Land of the Dead wasn't really utilized to the fullest...it just left me wanting more, and I actually felt that the most effective scenes were the ones that took place with Miguel's family in The Land of the Living. I'm really worried Pixar has got its formula down to such a science that they're not innovating as much as they used to.

That being said, Coco was still a really excellent movie. Imelda is easily one of my favorite Pixar characters to date, the visuals were fantastic as was the music, and it was definitely a tearjerker. I just hope going forward with its upcoming original movies, Pixar is more willing to go a little off the beaten path and try a less simplistic/linear plot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom