Pixar's Coco.

Matt_Black

I would say more so than brave! Especially given how the characters are actually singing and merida really had one minute of action with a song playing in the background!

No, no, both her parents sing in the movie, Elinor in the one flashback, and Fergus singing about how he fought Mordu.

brb1006

Apparently the film is going to be released at Mexico first before it hits the other theaters in the US and other countries. I'm having a feeling Disney/Pixar wants to see how the film will do in Mexico with the Mexican audiences. Maybe more word of mouth will come out if it's actually good or a surprise.

Jahona

Apparently the film is going to be released at Mexico first before it hits the other theaters in the US and other countries. I'm having a feeling Disney/Pixar wants to see how the film will do in Mexico with the Mexican audiences. Maybe more word of mouth will come out if it's actually good or a surprise.

Interesting but not an unexpected move. I know the last Kung Fu Panda came out in China first before the US, granted it was a bit taylored for that audience. There have been a few invite screenings for the film in the US. General perception is that it's going to be good. I'm looking forward to watching it that's for sure.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
It's a movie about Dia de Los Muertos it makes sense to put it out near the actual holiday in Mexico. They wanted it closer to Thanksgiving for the US since that's one of the biggest time for family movies. They had the Mexican premiere last night in Mexico City. I think Gael García Bernal, who plays Hector is the only actor voicing both the English and Latin Spanish versions. None of the other US actors were there but the Latin Spanish voice cast was.
upload_2017-10-25_20-20-36.png

upload_2017-10-25_20-23-15.png

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Early reviews are coming in https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/coco_2017/
Seems like this is truly one of pixar's best.

The "Fresh" meter is worthless. It's just a recommend v. not recommend metric. The average score is a better indicator. For RT it's at 74 (on a scale of 100). For Metacritic, it's 84. That puts Coco at #12 of Pixar's 19 movies.

A really good score for any movie... lackluster for Pixar. :)

However, it's really too early to tell. RT only has 10 reviews so far and MC has 4.

Animaniac93-98

Not surprisingly, Coco continues to do well at the Mexican box office after opening on October 27:

"Also, while it doesn't hit US theaters for a couple more weeks, Disney and Pixar's Coco added another $10.4 million in Mexico this weekend bringing the film's cume to $27.6 million in Mexico alone."
- Box Office Mojo

Sped2424

Original Poster
The "Fresh" meter is worthless. It's just a recommend v. not recommend metric. The average score is a better indicator. For RT it's at 74 (on a scale of 100). For Metacritic, it's 84. That puts Coco at #12 of Pixar's 19 movies.

A really good score for any movie... lackluster for Pixar. :)

However, it's really too early to tell. RT only has 10 reviews so far and MC has 4.
Fresh meter isn't worthless not the best indicator but It absolutely shows if a film is of quality. And as you said still early for both sites. But early indications have been extremely positive.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Fresh meter isn't worthless not the best indicator but It absolutely shows if a film is of quality. And as you said still early for both sites. But early indications have been extremely positive.

The meter shows what percent of critics recommended the movie, or, to put it a bit more accurately, what percent didn't recommend avoiding it.

You can have 100% of critics not recommending avoiding a barely adequate film with only a 6.5 average rating. Or, you can get 80% of critics not recommending avoiding a film because they thought it was spectacular and the film's average rating is a 9.2.

You would think the 100% Fresh movie is better than the 80% Fresh movie. But in the case above, it's not. The 100% Fresh only tells you no one hated it. It doesn't tell at all how much they loved it. That's just a very poor metric. As bad as thumbs up and thumbs down.

Anyway, now at 15 reviews (up form 10) on RT, Coco's score has gone from 74 to 79. No change on Metacritic yet since they haven't aggregated any more reviews yet.

BalooChicago

It's an interesting risk for Disney. My son is 9. Normally it's not if, but when, I bring him to a Pixar movie. This is not a topic I'm sure I want to see a Pixar movie about with him.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom