Pixar's Coco.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
I find this interesting topic, I haven't seen Coco yet but I will be taking my 6 and 8-year-old. Death and dying have been addressed in most Pixar and Disney animated films. In Lion King, Mufasa is literally murdered in front of our eyes. Toy Story 3 it looks like all our heroes are about to die and they grab each other's hands for comfort as they resign themselves to their fate. Up's whole opening is about life and death. There are very few kids animated movies where a character doesn't die or isn't affected by the death of someone who dies before the film starts. If it's about showing a version of the afterlife many animated films have shown us characters speaking to the main character from beyond or some version of what happens to that character after they have died. Moana's grandmother as the manta ray and later a "force ghost" Ray the firefly joining Evangeline as a star in the sky, Mufasa coming back to speak to Simba. Hercules goes to the underworld to get Meg back. This isn't new territory for kids movies.

Sir_Cliff

Yes, I honestly suspect a lot of parents will be more uncomfortable about the allusions to death than kids.

I'll be disappointed if this film underperforms because it's too "out there" for many parents. Perhaps it will be another like Ratatouille that does ok domestically but fantastically overseas.

brb1006

I find this interesting topic, I haven't seen Coco yet but I will be taking my 6 and 8-year-old. Death and dying have been addressed in most Pixar and Disney animated films. In Lion King, Mufasa is literally murdered in front of our eyes. Toy Story 3 it looks like all our heroes are about to die and they grab each other's hands for comfort as they resign themselves to their fate. Up's whole opening is about life and death. There are very few kids animated movies where a character doesn't die or isn't affected by the death of someone who dies before the film starts. If it's about showing a version of the afterlife many animated films have shown us characters speaking to the main character from beyond or some version of what happens to that character after they have died. Moana's grandmother as the manta ray and later a "force ghost" Ray the firefly joining Evangeline as a star in the sky, Mufasa coming back to speak to Simba. Hercules goes to the underworld to get Meg back. This isn't new territory for kids movies.
This is why I admire The Secret of NIMH and the first Land Before Time since both took some risks for a family animated film.

Princess Leia

So, I lost my paternal grandmother and maternal grandfather in the past two months, and cried my way through Moana since I lost my paternal grandfather last year (and can’t watch the movie anymore after my grandma died). If I saw Coco tomorrow, would I go into crying hysterics? I was incredibly close with my grandma, and if the plot goes where I’m guessing, I’m not sure I should see it yet.

If you’ve seen it, make sure to use a spoiler bar, or just message me thanks

Sir_Cliff

So, I lost my paternal grandmother and maternal grandfather in the past two months, and cried my way through Moana since I lost my paternal grandfather last year (and can’t watch the movie anymore after my grandma died). If I saw Coco tomorrow, would I go into crying hysterics? I was incredibly close with my grandma, and if the plot goes where I’m guessing, I’m not sure I should see it yet.

This isn't a spoiler, but just due to the general (very sweet & moving) message of the film I think you will cry quite a bit... but in a good way! The person I saw it with didn't find it quite as moving as I did but said a few days later told me that he'd been thinking about it and that Coco had really impressed upon him the importance of remembering "mis muertos." So, I think you will come away with a reinforced sense of how important & nice it is to remember loved ones who have passed away.

Sped2424

Original Poster

If you feel that is something that will make you cry a lot then I do feel this film will make you sob at least somewhat.

Fox&Hound

No spoilers below :)

Just saw CoCo and it was SUPERB!!!! Wow! Wow! Wow! So I love Disney an insane amount (don’t most of us here?) but while I adore their films and consider WDW my second home, a lot of Pixar’s latest films have not impressed me: I am looking at you Brave, Good Dinosaur, MI2, Dory, Cars 2, etc. They were just okay or downright bad. So I like to think I don’t love everything that has a Disney or Pixar label (man I hated The Good Dinosaur)!

Seriously, CoCo was so touching and it will stay with me for a very long time. Good pacing, great characterization, beautiful animation, and a cohesive story that really pulls on the heart strings. My four year did lose interest half way through as I think the subject matter, while in no way is inappropriate, may go over the heads of the young ones. So good!

Go see this movie!!!!!!!

Princess Leia

Glad to hear you liked the movie! I’m interested, where would you rank it compared to the other Pixar Films?
I’m not sure. I called the big twist super early into the film, and it just dawned on me that one of the big reveals was almost identical to a scene with Waternoose in Monsters Inc. However, my sister and I were both surprised at another reveal (sorry all of this is vague).

In terms of rankings... I’m not so sure. The Toy Story trilogy and Monsters Inc are still high on my list, as is Inside Out. I might put this between Inside Out and Finding Nemo, on the same level as Wall-E and Up.

So, I guess this is where it falls on my top 5 (which is really a top 10 list, but that’s a testament to Pixar):
  1. Toy Story trilogy/Monsters Inc
  2. Inside Out
  3. Wall-E, Up, Coco
  4. Finding Nemo
  5. Ratatouille

Princess Leia

This isn't a spoiler, but just due to the general (very sweet & moving) message of the film I think you will cry quite a bit... but in a good way! The person I saw it with didn't find it quite as moving as I did but said a few days later told me that he'd been thinking about it and that Coco had really impressed upon him the importance of remembering "mis muertos." So, I think you will come away with a reinforced sense of how important & nice it is to remember loved ones who have passed away.

If you feel that is something that will make you cry a lot then I do feel this film will make you sob at least somewhat.

I cried like a baby, and my sister- who is rarely cries for anything, let alone a movie- was sobbing next to me. But we both really enjoyed the film.

Disneyfanman

My vote for the best film of the year. It is that good. Best Pixar film? That’s a debate because I like most of them, but it’s up there for sure. Like their best work it is SURPRISINGLY good. I would have never expected this from the trailers. Funny, painfully sad, and heart filled. A glorious ending. To me it paced like inside out, so if you enjoyed that movie........ I hope word of mouth pushes it to a billion dollars.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom