Rumor Pixar's Coco coming to the Mexico Pavilion

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
I guess it depends a little on what Poppins is. If it's a more souped-up carousel with a nicer queue, for example, I'm not sure the trade-off would be worth it for me. If we get a good rather than mediocre dark ride, maybe it would be a reasonable trade-off.

It also comes down a little to preference. Mary Poppins is one of my favourite Disney films, but it would have made me very happy to see Coco in the parks in some permanent way as I liked the film so much and, otherwise, Disney is likely to forget it ever existed as far as the parks are concerned.
Imagine the trackless ride vehicles with twelve carousel horses bobbing up and down as the vehicles do an intricate dance across the ride area depicting scenes from the old and new movies...

Sir_Cliff

Not that it likely has any impact on this decision, but this past weekend Coco passed $700 million worldwide box office. This makes it Pixar's 7th highest-grossing film worldwide, with a good shot of overtaking Up and making it to #6 once it opens in Japan and keeps chugging along into school holidays in the UK.

In the negative column for this ever becoming an Epcot attraction, Coco is also the Pixar film that earned the highest percentage of its box office outside the United States, with 71% so far. That comes above the previous record-holder, Ratatouille, at 67%. In the US, it looks like Coco will make almost exactly the same box office as Ratatouille. Funnily enough, these are my two favourite Pixar films!

The silence on here makes me think that the Coco overlay is all but dead, sadly.

smile

Thanks for bringing some optimism about this project, I guess I kinda misunderstood what the insiders where saying, I hope you’re right and that it is kept as a long-term plan!

didn't see this

that would depend on what you mean by optimism -
only thing i said was that even if put on the shelf now, there's nothing to say it couldn't be dusted off down the line...
it'll remain a logical fit even years later like the rat popping up after so long, so long-term option would be more accurate.

and you're generally not going to find too many details on projects that may or may not happen until they've been summarily killed with little hope for reemergence ever - and even those slowly dribble out if at all.

so, when particulars are discussed and plans shown is when you know it's truly dead...
generally.
;)

MaximumEd

Will all those award nominations change its chances of becoming a theme park attraction?

The lightning in a bottle phenomenon that was Frozen got an overlay onto a clunky, almost 30 year old ride system. Tangled got a bathroom. Based on history, I’m not sure there is any rhyme or reason that determines what they do. Maybe they throw darts at a group of pictures.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
The lightning in a bottle phenomenon that was Frozen got an overlay onto a clunky, almost 30 year old ride system. Tangled got a bathroom. Based on history, I’m not sure there is any rhyme or reason that determines what they do. Maybe they throw darts at a group of pictures.
I can think of a few pictures (portraits really) that I’d like to throw darts at.

Jrn14

I just saw Coco and wow, it was soooo good. I wasn't really all that invested based on the commercials and the trailer, but wow this is def up there with UP and WALL*E as one of my absolute favorite Pixar films. It was just amazing and I wish I would have seen it before my recent trip to Epcot. Before I didn't want this in the pavilion, but now that I've seen it and heard it's not coming I'm devastated:cry:.

NoChesterHester

I just saw Coco and wow, it was soooo good. I wasn't really all that invested based on the commercials and the trailer, but wow this is def up there with UP and WALL*E as one of my absolute favorite Pixar films. It was just amazing and I wish I would have seen it before my recent trip to Epcot. Before I didn't want this in the pavilion, but now that I've seen it and heard it's not coming I'm devastated:cry:.

Slow down. Not completely dead. Read back a couple pages.

Sir_Cliff

Slow down. Not completely dead. Read back a couple pages.
I don't know, I'm getting the impression that the sudden silence on this project suggests it is dead unless something significantly changes. The film has done very well in Europe and China which could suggest it be used in those parks over there if they have a decent concept. For example, Coco was the #5 highest grossing film to be released in France last year, far above all the Marvel properties they're jamming into Disneyland Paris. Marvel sells toys, though...

Last edited:

Cmdr_Crimson

I don't know, I'm getting the impression that the sudden silence on this project suggests it is dead unless something significantly changes. The film has done very well in Europe and China which could suggest it be used in those parks over there if they have a decent concept. For example, Coco was the #5 highest grossing film to be released in France last year, far above all the Marvel properties they're jamming into Disneyland Paris. Marvels sells toys, though...
With the Small exhibit inside the entrance of the Temple it has to mean something besides just ironically being about The Day of the Dead.

Biff215

While I enjoyed the movie and agree it fits, I fear what it would do to the pavilion. It’s just not set up for a popular attraction. Changes could always be made to accommodate a bigger line and FP+, but that’s what concerns me the most.

I like the current feel of the pavilion and that it actually has a ride you don’t have to plan out 60 days in advance.

Cmdr_Crimson

Just remember folks...Not all Award Winner's get attractions....Just a M&G and Being "Flavor's of the Month" in a Street Party...
Big-Hero-6.jpeg
movie_poster_zootopia_866a1bf2.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom