Rumor Pixar's Coco coming to the Mexico Pavilion

aladdin2007

magic feather updated one of his posts in the 50th thread. The bolded being the updates to a previous post. EPCOT: FW getting bulk of things. Communicore changes yet again. If they can ever decide on a concept The Seas will become the "Pavillion on a hill" or the hive of scum and villainy Galaxy's Edge was intended to be. God knows what's going on with imagination. Spoiler Alert: Nothing No, Groot will not be taking over the Land Pavillion, and don't even bother with Wonders of Life for the next 2/3 of a decade, because Disney barely is either. As for WS, just cranking out Unlikely Coco, Beefed upUK, Rat, Brazil (And Friends?).

sounds like coco is out, and UK is still in. (in some form or another)

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I'm beginning to wonder if Iger's got a thing against merchandising anything that's not attached to any of his acquisitions. His merch pirates were pretty slow to move on Frozen, after all. It finally got a reluctant little ride shoehorned into a tiny dark ride in Norway. But BOY, Star Wars gets its own LAND and HOTEL. But hey, at least Tangled got a bathroom!

Once again, I'm convinced that, aside from the profits it can generate, Iger doesn't really get or like Disney.

Very interesting line of thinking. You may be on to something with it. It really does seem to fit with what we're seeing out of Disney as far as the theme parks go, outside of the Fantasyland expansion - Pandora. TSL. SW:GE. Marvel popping up everywhere it can pop up. Out with the old, in with the acquired properties.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I'm beginning to wonder if Iger's got a thing against merchandising anything that's not attached to any of his acquisitions. His merch pirates were pretty slow to move on Frozen, after all. It finally got a reluctant little ride shoehorned into a tiny dark ride in Norway. But BOY, Star Wars gets its own LAND and HOTEL. But hey, at least Tangled got a bathroom!

Once again, I'm convinced that, aside from the profits it can generate, Iger doesn't really get or like Disney.

So, Iger is running the company into the ground with stock buyback because he greedily wants more money.

But, he doesn't love money so much that he'll forgo sales on merchandise because he hates Disney?

This Iger hate needs better self-consistency, otherwise we might think you conspiracy theorists are crazy!!

bcoachable

So, Iger is running the company into the ground with stock buyback because he greedily wants more money.

But, he doesn't love money so much that he'll forgo sales on merchandise because he hates Disney?

This Iger hate needs better self-consistency, otherwise we might think you conspiracy theorists are crazy!!
Nice rebuttals

FullSailDan

Star Wars and Marvel both have a VERY rich history in merchandising outside of Disney. Part of what made Lucas a genius back in the day was that he retained all the merchandising rights for the film. He sold everything from lunchboxes to pencil erasers and made mint. People have complained about things like Porgs being written in for the cute and cuddly merch, but Lucas had no shame in that game either.

Marvel on the other hand, has known for a long time the money isn't in the comic books. Rather the action figures, character models, costumes, trading cards, and the movie rights were the cash cow. They haven't always been good about it, and hence they made the licensing deals they did in order to stay alive in the 90's.

MrHappy

Any chance this has anything to do with Jim McPhee? I'm hoping, he of level head, made the decision to put the focus on a NEW attraction at UK (based on classic Disney) vs a tandem of a lesser attraction at UK and a reskin in MX. Reading some of the feedback about him, it seems like one of those wise and level-headed decisions we were hoping for when he was promoted.

Kman101

Any chance this has anything to do with Jim McPhee? I'm hoping, he of level head, made the decision to put the focus on a NEW attraction at UK (based on classic Disney) vs a tandem of a lesser attraction at UK and a reskin in MX. Reading some of the feedback about him, it seems like one of those wise and level-headed decisions we were hoping for when he was promoted.

Let's hope. I can agree with the decision even if I'm disappointed the overlay seems to be pushed aside right now. I think it fits great but again, I can understand MX not being seeing as a priority right. I'd rather them do a better job with the UK and then later down the road do a better job in MX. Instead of two half-hearted attempts like they've done in the past.

Otterhead

That's really disappointing. It would be perfect in the pavilion.
For what it's worth, there's no shortage of Coco in the pavilion right now. The entryway area has a really beautiful new exhibit about Dia de los Muertos and the traditions depicted in the movie, and there's a new mariachi band that plays Coco songs outside. As well as it'd fit the river ride, it could be that they don't want to make the pavilion 100% Coco.

disneygeek90

For what it's worth, there's no shortage of Coco in the pavilion right now. The entryway area has a really beautiful new exhibit about Dia de los Muertos and the traditions depicted in the movie, and there's a new mariachi band that plays Coco songs outside. As well as it'd fit the river ride, it could be that they don't want to make the pavilion 100% Coco.
Oh I know it does, but I haven't seen the mariachi band playing songs from the movie in a while. I took the pavilion decorations as some sort of "appetizer" until we get to the actual ride, being that it would be several years. I would imagine that if the ride did come to fruition, we would see the Coco-ness in the rest of the pavilion dialed back a bit.

Kman101

More like "Varying Likelihood:".

At least it doesn't sound dead, just pushed to the side right now and not seen as any sort of priority. So I'd say "varying likelihood" is a good switch ... I don't think any insider has come out and said it's completely dead. It's just not a certainty like it once was (and maybe other things could be as well?)

Last edited:

Kman101

I’m of the opinion that a Coco overlay would work great, but that Disney spends too much time on overlays. If we could put the money that would go into an overlay into a new attraction that would be 10x better imo

I can agree with that, sort of. I think some overlays sometimes make sense (like Coco in Mexico, NOT Guardians in Epcot or Mickey into GMR) and I'm not against them but the problem is they need to ALSO build new on top of that. But they often haven't. We got a lot of half-hearted overlays that leave little to be desired that now need to be once again overlayed because they didn't do the best job the first time .... so yeah I agree they need to focus that overlay money on new builds. But in some cases they need both. They let themselves get so behind they have a LOT to catch up on. Many things we're getting now should have been added over the last 10-15 years. The parks would be in such a better place that things like Coco in Mexico wouldn't be a big deal.

So I guess I think it was probably smart to push aside the Coco overlay and hopefully that money does indeed go towards making, say the UK ride, better. But they should still overlay Coco down the road. I'm really bummed it isn't happening at the moment (doesn't sound like it's dead totally though) because I think it fits but I think they were, finally, smart to cut this and put the money towards beefing up something else. Though to be fair, the cost of things are absolutely ridiculous so why couldn't they give us two amazing attractions instead of two half-hearted attempts ...

castlecake2.0

People have brought up Zootopia too. Interesting thought

For The Disney Store at least the merchdising strategy is pretty much “evergreen franchises” which are always carried IE cars, Star Wars, frozen, princess, toy story etc. And for the new movies the merch usually launches a month before the theatrical release and then pretty much disappears by the time of the home release. It’s hard to predict sales on characters people don’t know yet. Like when wreck it Ralph released a top selling item was the venelope talking doll, with lots of Ralph specific stuff not as popular When frozen released they ordered the same types of quantities as merch as they did for tangled, but the movie was a hit and it wasn’t enough. It’s a hard thing to guess which character is really going to resonate with audiences on new movies.

Also most popular item from the zootopia collection: the recordable carrott pen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom