Rumor Pixar's Coco coming to the Mexico Pavilion

Sir_Cliff

Just my two cents, but Disney has much larger fish to fry in Epcot (I'm looking at you Imagination pavilion)
and FAR better ways to spend their money.

For once, I'm glad they're not able to slake their IP-shotgun blast bloodlust. (too graphic?)
It is just kind of a shame that they have a film about Mexican culture that was so beloved in Mexico that it became the highest grossing film ever there and an IP-based ride in the Mexico Pavilion that rarely attracts any wait, yet that's the WS overlay they don't do because they're concerned they won't move enough merchandise.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

It is just kind of a shame that they have a film about Mexican culture that was so beloved in Mexico that it became the highest grossing film ever there and an IP-based ride in the Mexico Pavilion that rarely attracts any wait, yet that's the WS overlay they don't do because they're concerned they won't move enough merchandise.
It is sad when you put it that way, and sadder still when you figure these types of decisions are really only them looking out for their bottom line and have no creative integrity behind them. However, I think this is a problem inherent with the whole IP-only mandate. High B.O. receipts won't always translate into high merch revenue and if DI$ isn't seeing both, then they'll balk.

Overall, they'll probably toss out a M&G and call it a job well done.

Kman101

Just my two cents, but Disney has much larger fish to fry in Epcot (I'm looking at you Imagination pavilion)
and FAR better ways to spend their money.

For once, I'm glad they're not able to slake their IP-shotgun blast bloodlust. (too graphic?)

It's very true they have other far better ways to spend their money, but in this case, this overlay made a lot of sense and I was personally looking forward to it. I get it from their perspective, the Three Cabs only moved in a decade-ish ago, so it shouldn't be a priority, but this overlay just makes so much sense it's surprising this is the one they're pushing off. JMO.

But I'm OK with it not happening now (but I wish it were), although this company could afford the overlay on top of everything else if they *really* wanted to but I know there are a lot of hoops to go through and it's not as easy as "give me the money".

smile

It's very true they have other far better ways to spend their money, but in this case, this overlay made a lot of sense and I was personally looking forward to it. I get it from their perspective, the Three Cabs only moved in a decade-ish ago, so it shouldn't be a priority, but this overlay just makes so much sense it's surprising this is the one they're pushing off. JMO.

But I'm OK with it not happening now (but I wish it were), although this company could afford the overlay on top of everything else if they *really* wanted to but I know there are a lot of hoops to go through and it's not as easy as "give me the money".

even if no near-term,
we all know good ideas never die...
turns out there's no frozen rush on this, true, but the rat debuted six years after debuting; clone, over a decade.

still think it's good progression for the pavilion, considering current direction - when the time is right.

Haymarket2008

I love Coco but I’m not upset it may not happen. Epcot (and WDW in general) needs to focus on building new attractions instead of just being uncreative and lazy by doing all these overlays. Entirely new attractions >>>>>> overlays

Agreed. I'm also shocked by their restraint.....given their recent track record with knee jerk reactions (Guardians, Frozen, etc.)

Kman101

Especially when this one makes the most sense and a majority of us were actually on board for the overlay. Go figure.

But, again, I agree the money should go elsewhere. If the park were built up where it should be, the Coco overlay would be a no-brainer. But I really wanted this one to happen so I'm torn because it makes sense, but they need so many other things than spending money on this.

Next Big Thing

When you think of it like that, sure, it's too bad.

But would you rather NEW rides, or money spent retheming existing rides? Sure both would be great, but if not getting this means Poppins has a bigger budget, then i'm all for that.

Sir_Cliff

When you think of it like that, sure, it's too bad.

But would you rather NEW rides, or money spent retheming existing rides? Sure both would be great, but if not getting this means Poppins has a bigger budget, then i'm all for that.
I guess it depends a little on what Poppins is. If it's a more souped-up carousel with a nicer queue, for example, I'm not sure the trade-off would be worth it for me. If we get a good rather than mediocre dark ride, maybe it would be a reasonable trade-off.

It also comes down a little to preference. Mary Poppins is one of my favourite Disney films, but it would have made me very happy to see Coco in the parks in some permanent way as I liked the film so much and, otherwise, Disney is likely to forget it ever existed as far as the parks are concerned.

EPCOT519

I would actually love to see a Coco overlay for the ride, but I agree that there are more important upgrades the need to be made elsewhere in the park. So much of the park feels old and outdated, and it seems like the funds would be better spent upgrading sections of future world.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom