Rumor Pixar's Coco coming to the Mexico Pavilion

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Something I wanted to point out is that on the past Sunday, the Teen Choice Awards happened, and Coco got two wins out of three nominations, the two wins were in the two categories it was nominated, and in both categories Coco won against Star Wars, I know that SW:TLJ isn’t exactly popular within the fans of Star Wars, nevertheless, I think it’s important to note that there were more people that voted and supported Coco (Bet Fantasy Movie, and Best Fantasy Actor (Anthony Gonzales the voice of Miguel), than Star Wars in this awards ceremony, which in my opinion speaks volume about the IP’s popularity!

Yeah...except none of that is indicative of the long term viability of an investment with an upfront bill and long term operational costs...

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
OR These two things are unrelated for your argument! And both happening would be good!

But that’s not the reality.

Here’s where we go back to the basics: Disney got caught completely flat footed and was forced...yes “forced”...to roll out a slate of new projects between 2011-2017.

That in if itself can be a positive. But...but...that doesn’t mean that everybody is getting something new and now they’re gonna roll out.

They are attempting to get the Place to an attendance and revenue number with these moves...but when they feel they have or will...the purse strings will close in.

I sure hope that goal is so huge that we see 15 years more of major work. But the history and reality is that isn’t really realistic.

So when somebody says “why not both?!?”, the answer is simply this: they don’t WANT to spend money on rides for us...we’re already going. So don’t expect much.

Phicinfan

Yeah...except none of that is indicative of the long term viability of an investment with an upfront bill and long term operational costs...
To Sir's point....
My bet is the Imagineers were given the task to apply any and all IPs that could fit to help redevelop EPCOT.

Some make sense(regardless of opinion of some, Coco does fit Mexico) and then need.

I assume the issue is Disney isn't going to pay for all these items, so they are picking and choosing what they will spend - especially with the Fox deal pending...

So we have the current choices that are happening:
Rat ride in France
GotG in Energy
New space restaurant
Update to space(already happened)
new restaurant in China
New night time show

What is left to see if they will pay for:
coco or UK - I am with @marni1971 here, I would much rather have UK ride rather than Coco overlay - new is always better
Update to Land
Update to Seas
Spine renewal
update to SSE

My gut says, we will get spine update, we will get UK ...I hope, and probably some minor adds to land and sea

JohnyKaz2078

Coco is not a “no brainer” for a ride. It’s a good movie that had moderate box office success by today’s metrics. And it is important for an important demographic. No arguments at all.
A moderate box office success by today's standards is around $500-600 million. Tangled made $591 million. That's a moderate box office success. Coco made just above $800 million. That's a big box office success.

aladdin2007

To Sir's point....
My bet is the Imagineers were given the task to apply any and all IPs that could fit to help redevelop EPCOT.

Some make sense(regardless of opinion of some, Coco does fit Mexico) and then need.

I assume the issue is Disney isn't going to pay for all these items, so they are picking and choosing what they will spend - especially with the Fox deal pending...

Rat ride in France
GotG in Energy
New space restaurant
new restaurant in China
New night time show

coco or UK - I am with @marni1971 here, I would much rather have UK ride rather than Coco overlay - new is always better
Update to Land
Update to Seas
Spine renewal
update to SSE

My gut says, we will get spine update, we will get UK ...I hope, and probably some minor adds to land and sea

you mean the new restaurant in Japan not China right? Just checking to make sure I didnt miss something lol.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
To Sir's point....

Rat ride in France
GotG in Energy
New space restaurant
new restaurant in China
New night time show

Update to Land
Update to Seas
Spine renewal
update to SSE

I don’t doubt that...but we know that very few ever get off the starting point - let alone built.

If I were to armchair imagineer...my priorities would be - based on limited funds:
1. One new country attraction add on in an expansion pad (UK or maybe Italy/Germany for traffic flow)
2. Redo of innoventions for some new purpose - likely a mix of food and retail that could play off the attractions.
3. Please - dear god - get imagination redone.

I’m considering points on the map...if you reanchor showcase in imagination...then have ratatouille...then skip over to Italy...then perhaps have something to augment over by Norway...you spread out the flow.

That’s how I would angle it. Just me.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
A moderate box office success by today's standards is around $500-600 million. Tangled made $591 million. That's a moderate box office success. Coco made just above $800 million. That's a big box office success.

Those numbers increase by the day.

Look at the adjusted gross on box office mojo and recompute. Unfortunately you have to guess about international figures

Here’s the link:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

You’ll see the Disney movies are the classics/heavy hitters from top to bottom.

You’ll also see exactly why Star Wars WAS a big deal...and I use that tense intentionally.

Last edited:

Phicinfan

I don’t doubt that...but we know that very few ever feet off the starting point - let alone built.

If I were to armchair imagineers...my priorities would be - based on limited funds:
1. One new country attraction add on in an expansion pad (UK or maybe Italy/Germany for traffic flow)
2. Redo of innoventions for some new purpose - likely a mix of food and retail that could play off the attractions.
3. Please - dear god - get imagination redone.

I’m considering points on the map...if you reanchor showcase in imagination...then have ratatouille...then skip over to Italy...then perhaps have something to augment over by Norway...you spread out the flow.

That’s his I would angle it. Just me.
I agree pretty much.
Add a new country - Brazil?
Do the UK ride - adds are always better
As for Innoventions - I would hope that would be part of scope for Spine redo, I thought it was - @marni1971 ?

Imagination is so due, but I just don't see it, for some reason they just don't seem to see the emphasis here...

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I agree pretty much.
Add a new country - Brazil?
Do the UK ride - adds are always better
As for Innoventions - I would hope that would be part of scope for Spine redo, I thought it was - @marni1971 ?

Imagination is so due, but I just don't see it, for some reason they just don't seem to see the emphasis here...
If a new country is to come...great.

But so much time has been wasted (even worse than all the time we usually waste) over the years chasing snipe country pavilions. There has to be a shift in management philosophies before they’ll ever do it...it’s still at least a little bit away.

Brazil is wrong...but I’d take it. It’s low hanging fruit. People see teen tour groups purchased with sugarcane bitcoin (while it lasts) and they say “Brazil! Why not?!”

But it honestly isn’t top 5 from the need perspective in my book. Others would be better longterm in my opinion.

The reason they don’t care about imagination is the same reason we don’t see countries. In the digital age...where manufacturing and retail is on the decline in the western world...there’s nobody out there to want to pay the bills for them.

There’s no Kodak to pay for the figment plussing and international companies aren’t signing on to pay for IPs to work the country pavilion.

Disney management had been paralyzed for 25 years because of this...they refuse to accept its over and don’t want to add to Epcot’s massive overhead.

What we’re getting now is shocking... to be honest.

It makes more sense now that it did last year when I stuck my head in the sand.

It’s mgm - to be honest. They know they’re creating a problem and banking people will use that gondola to escape and still spend, be happy.

Last edited:

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I seem to be the only person on here rooting for a Coco attraction in Mexico over Poppins in the UK pavilion. Coco is such a no brainer and I think they could do a really beautiful attraction with it that would take the whole pavilion to the next level and actually add something to its representation of the national culture. I'm sure a Poppins dark ride would be cute, but I'm having trouble imagining it will be anything to write home about given the budget and space they're supposedly working with.
A no brainer for the Mexico pavilion. They have an IP that has been taken to heart by the country as a representation of their culture. I am in Mexico City at the moment and was noticing many counterfeit Coco t-shirts strolling through the Bosque de Chapultepec this morning. Coco also seems to be one of the more common piñata themes in the markets here... which is a complement.

Would the Poppins attraction really be bigger than the current Three Caballeros ride? They don't seem to have that much space to play with and all the rumours we've heard seem to suggest this would have a budget comparable (if not less) than the Coco overlay and be a Fantasyland-style dark ride which, IMO, is already a notch below what Mexico already has.

You make good points but I am still so conflicted. I think I would still rather see a new attraction than a change to a current one. Well really....both!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Sorry...I left my enigma machine on the counter this morning 🧐

Edit: sorry... COMMUNICORE (innoventions for the kids at home)
Couldn’t resist :)

The spine entails everything from the monorail station to the lagoon down the middle of the park.

Ccore is part a self contained project, but also part of the spine. This is one of the (many) holdups.

SSE is a separate project. Which I again stress is in its infancy.

Last edited:

IMDREW

Couldn’t resist :)

The spine entails everything from the monorail station to the lagoon down the middle of the park.

Ccore is part a self contained project, but also part of the spine. This is one of the (many) holdups.

SSE is a separate project. Which I again stress is in its infancy.
How are you feeling about the Spine redo atm? I know the plans practically change by the week, but are they on the right track? @marni1971

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom