Rumor Pixar's Coco coming to the Mexico Pavilion

Kman101

But why wait? It checks all the boxes Chapek reportedly wants/likes checked. At this point, I agree with @RSoxNo1 and it has more to do with someone somewhere not wanting to spend the money than anything else. This one is such a no-brainer, what else could it be?

But why NOT wait? This is an overlay. It's not seen as "needed". Why wait on Beauty and the Beast and Mermaid and Fantasmic?

Because they can.

I absolutely agree with you though. But you're not looking at it from 'their' perspective. Waiting makes sense when The Three Cabs are "good enough" for now.

Why announce it in 2019? They can announce a Coco refresh in 2021 if they wanted to and have it up by 2022. Not saying that's the plan but they seem to have a lot planned currently. I can see why it's being held off. I don't think it's for the reasons many are assuming, but that's just a guess. Again I have no inside information. Just observations based on how they operate and what a likely game plan could be.

It's absolutely about not wanting to spend the money, NOW, but that doesn't mean they can't do it later. Why couldn't they? Just because it isn't part of the plans now, it's an easy overlay they can open once Brazil is open. You have to think a little further than "now". And in that same vein, it may also never happen.

It SHOULD happen now, of course I agree with that. I fear if it doesn't, it won't, but I'm just saying we really don't know what their actual plans are.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
You have to think a little further than "now".

We are talking about TWDC, right? [insert joke about only looking forward as far as the next quarterly earnings report]

But seriously, it's Disney. If we see Coco anywhere before 2022, I'll be surprised. What recent (non-sequel) movie property has gone into the parks in less than 3 years? I may be way off, but didn't even Frozen take almost that long? (Outside of a M&G, wasn't PTN where Frozen first showed up?)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
We are talking about TWDC, right? [insert joke about only looking forward as far as the current quarterly earnings report]

But seriously, it's Disney. If we see Coco anywhere before 2022, I'll be surprised. What recent (non-sequel) movie property has gone into the parks in less than 3 years? I may be way off, but didn't even Frozen take almost that long? (Outside of a M&G, wasn't PTN where Frozen first showed up?)

Exactly...

There have been two main problems with these rumors from the start:
1. It was suggested before the movie even premiered. The management doesn’t write checks for that...

2. So ok...it did well (not Uber Pixar blockbuster...but well)...but what happens when WDI and capital expenditures (the bleed department) get cracking? It’s ready long after anyone really cares. Which means the return on investment isn’t good.

Remember the “rush” to frozen? It was pathetically long.

This smelled like yesterday’s tuna...

Kman101

We are talking about TWDC, right? [insert joke about only looking forward as far as the current quarterly earnings report]

As I said, so will I, but we just don't know what they currently have planned.

I think how to profit from it is the problem, that and they'd have to gut the shops for queue space in Mexico. I think they don't want to make the effort right now. It's more work than they wanted. Just an assumption. We'll see if Martin or anyone elaborates further.

We agree they don't want to spend the money now. And yes, we're talking about the same WDC. I actually do think they have "plans". But I've said they don't always follow through. I'm hopeful it's not dead. So of course some of it is wishful thinking. But unless I missed a post, which is possible, it doesn't sound "dead dead". Just off the table right now. They seem to be re-evaluating the plans they had.

But we're both just ultimately speculating.

Kman101

It’s happening

Good. I hope this sticks. It needs to happen. It's the perfect fit. But I don't think they should see it as a priority, although if they don't do it now, I fear it never happens. I still think it's something they could hold off until later should they so choose even if some don't think that makes sense.

Kman101

Exactly...

There have been two main problems with these rumors from the start:
1. It was suggested before the movie even premiered. The management doesn’t write checks for that...

2. So ok...it did well (not Uber Pixar blockbuster...but well)...but what happens when WDI and capital expenditures (the bleed department) get cracking? It’s ready long after anyone really cares. Which means the return on investment isn’t good.

Remember the “rush” to frozen? It was pathetically long.

This smelled like yesterday’s tuna...

And we're all just ultimately speculating. I know the odds are crap.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
As I said, so will I, but we just don't know what they currently have planned.

I think how to profit from it is the problem, that and they'd have to gut the shops for queue space in Mexico. I think they don't want to make the effort right now. It's more work than they wanted. Just an assumption. We'll see if Martin or anyone elaborates further.

We agree they don't want to spend the money now. And yes, we're talking about the same WDC. I actually do think they have "plans". But I've said they don't always follow through. I'm hopeful it's not dead. So of course some of it is wishful thinking. But unless I missed a post, which is possible, it doesn't sound "dead dead". Just off the table right now. They seem to be re-evaluating the plans they had.

But we're both just ultimately speculating.

The thing is...why bother to put the bucks there? They need draws - I get that - if for nothing else, because they think Epcot can serve as an overflow release valve for MGM (it won’t...that’s a rookie approach to operational planning)...

But they did the gran fiesta like 8 years ago? That’s like last week in “real time” compared to modern Disney construction.

An add would be a better investment...hence the UK rumor. Or there’s always a futureworld pavilion in decay right across the park...literally right there...only an 8 minute ecv ride away.

Kman101

The thing is...why bother to put the bucks there? They need draws - I get that - if for nothing else, because they think Epcot can serve as an overflow release valve for MGM (it won’t...that’s a rookie approach to operational planning)...

But they did the gran fiesta like 8 years ago? That’s like last week in “real time” compared to modern Disney construction.

An add would be a better investment...hence the UK rumor. Or there’s always a futureworld pavilion in decay right across the park...literally right there...only an 8 minute ecv ride away.

You aren't wrong at all with this. They need to EXPAND, not replace. Which is why I think they circle back around to it. But it's just speculation/wishful thinking. I know the reality, LOL. Sadly.

They don't see the 'need' for it. I can't say I disagree, even though it depends what they do instead, and I think if any overlay were to be done, it should be this one. But I can see why they're hesitant, for probably a number of reasons. I can easily see why they put a halt on it, they don't want to spend the money. But they should.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You aren't wrong at all with this. They need to EXPAND, not replace. Which is why I think they circle back around to it. But it's just speculation/wishful thinking. I know the reality, LOL. Sadly.

They don't see the 'need' for it. I can't say I disagree, even though it depends what they do instead, and I think if any overlay were to be done, it should be this one. But I can see why they're hesitant, for probably a number of reasons. I can easily see why they put a halt on it, they don't want to spend the money. But they should.

It’s axtually not even that hard...you keep the Donald Duck ride, close it down to put a cool new coco room in the town square section...then cross market it. It won’t be a blockbuster...but wouldn’t be a “skip” either and has good capacity.

There is the fastpass problem (as I believe Marni is partially alluding too)...so they can’t computer control the crap out of it and that’s unacceptable to the EVP of Ride Rationing...

But still...this isn’t that hard.

Kman101

It’s axtually not even that hard...you keep the Donald Duck ride, close it down to put a cool new coco room in the town square section...then cross market it. It won’t be a blockbuster...but wouldn’t be a “skip” either and has good capacity.

There is the fastpass problem (as I believe Marni is partially alluding too)...so they can’t computer control the crap out of it and that’s unacceptable to the EVP of Ride Rationing...

But still...this isn’t that hard.

It isn't that hard.

I wasn't thinking of the FP problem but that makes a lot of sense when you do think about it from that angle. I was thinking queue space but it all sort of goes together. They'd have to gut the shops, IMO, to add more queue space, and then you'd have to have two lines plus an exit ... it sounds like a headache to current management. Real management would tackle it. Coco would have a much higher demand than the Cabs do. But surely they'd want more guests to actually go into the pavilion? I can see the struggle they have. But they sort of create their own problems.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It isn't that hard.

I wasn't thinking of the FP problem but that makes a lot of sense when you do think about it from that angle. I was thinking queue space but it all sort of goes together. They'd have to gut the shops, IMO, to add more queue space, and then you'd have to have two lines plus an exit ... it sounds like a headache to current management. Real management would tackle it.

I believe that...and the bill...is what @marni1971 was teasing about.

Without a queue, and the way the building is designed, there can be no fastpass without massive reworking that will cost a ton.

And then what? A boat ride nobody really ever loved (I do...but I’m a pragmatic/purist outlier) that may not be mobbed with a 2 hour wait for 10 years??

We can’t have that...think of the stockholders!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom