Pixar Pals Parking Structure Specifics/Updates

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Original Poster
...I really hope everyone understands that the “no politics” directive was done very tongue-in-cheek. I just don’t want another thread to get bumped down to the bowels of forum hell.

Obviously, as we have been, we can discuss aspects of the new construction and it’s impact to the parks and even DTD.

Here, I’ll remove it from the thread title just to make everyone happy.

Darkbeer1

Look, we have been getting "Parking is Full" for the Theme Parks on a regular basis now. Cast Members kicked out of the Katella CM lot for more guest parking. A good average amount needed TODAY is 10,000 more spaces for guests, CM's and vendor parking (such as construction workers). So we are adding about 6,000 more next year, hopefully. Sounds like SW:GE will open before Cleo.....

So where do all these "new" guests and additional CM's hired coming due to SW:GE and Super Hero Land park?

OK, I will try and keep the politics to a minimum.

So why has the new Disneyland President suddenly being nice and sitting down with Mayor Tait and Dr. Moreno recently.

Besides going thru the cancellation of the Tax subsidy agreements, TDA wants something soon.

And that is the move of the current Transportation Center and Security Checks off the Harbor Blvd. Property on the East side of the Resort.

To do "Super Hero Land" right, and to drive more guests away from Disneyland to DCA besides making AP's not parkhopping and limits to Disneyland, they need more and better attractions.

So they really want the Eastern Gateway project, and that includes building the Pumbaa Structure (Another 6,000+ badly needed spaces, and will pay for itself in parking fees).

So no matter how the election turns out for councilmembers including the Mayor, Disney is looking to going back to the Planning Commission in 2019. (If Disney is subject to the ALWI if passed, then Disney will be taking a hard look at everything, and even projects in the pipeline will be subject to change/cancellation). But TDA does see the Eastern Gateway project with just minor modifications, including the bridge, has to get done. Disney has all this land basically doing nothing except some parking, and buying the land, including the Hotel was not cheap, has created an issue with the parks budget.

Heck, you might see groundbreaking in late 2019.

Need to get some sleep, up in Valencia, and need to be at SFMM at 7:30. American Coaster Enthusiasts have a private ERT for three coasters in the morning for 90 minutes before park opening, and then an ERT mix in for the entire park from closing (9 PM) to Midnight. Best part, it's free for Season Passholders, and just the basic $42 admission for those who need it. Comes with some snacks, a meet and greet with Senior Park Staff, and a walk through of the new Fright Fest Maze (lights on) that opens next weekend. Have to give kudos for SFMM to do that for us, it is a lot of staff hours to open the park early for just a couple hundred folks.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
OK, I will try and keep the politics to a minimum.

So why has the new Disneyland President suddenly being nice and sitting down with Mayor Tait and Dr. Moreno recently.

Besides going thru the cancellation of the Tax subsidy agreements, TDA wants something soon.

And that is the move of the current Transportation Center and Security Checks off the Harbor Blvd. Property on the East side of the Resort.

To do "Super Hero Land" right, and to drive more guests away from Disneyland to DCA besides making AP's not parkhopping and limits to Disneyland, they need more and better attractions.

So they really want the Eastern Gateway project, and that includes building the Pumbaa Structure (Another 6,000+ badly needed spaces, and will pay for itself in parking fees).

So no matter how the election turns out for councilmembers including the Mayor, Disney is looking to going back to the Planning Commission in 2019. (If Disney is subject to the ALWI if passed, then Disney will be taking a hard look at everything, and even projects in the pipeline will be subject to change/cancellation). But TDA does see the Eastern Gateway project with just minor modifications, including the bridge, has to get done. Disney has all this land basically doing nothing except some parking, and buying the land, including the Hotel was not cheap, has created an issue with the parks budget.

Heck, you might see groundbreaking in late 2019.

Need to get some sleep, up in Valencia, and need to be at SFMM at 7:30. American Coaster Enthusiasts have a private ERT for three coasters in the morning for 90 minutes before park opening, and then an ERT mix in for the entire park from closing (9 PM) to Midnight. Best part, it's free for Season Passholders, and just the basic $42 admission for those who need it. Comes with some snacks, a meet and greet with Senior Park Staff, and a walk through of the new Fright Fest Maze (lights on) that opens next weekend. Have to give kudos for SFMM to do that for us, it is a lot of staff hours to open the park early for just a couple hundred folks.

I'll be really happy if EGW gets revived and actually agreed upon. Then hopefully a master plan for Marvel and DCA as a whole can be presented at D23 and actually start construction on it all.

NobodyElse

Sorry this thread isn’t engaging enough. As far as I know the original thread is still open in the politics section. Knock yourself out :)

No need to apologize (with any degree of sincerity). Just going by your first post, I assumed the intent of this thread was to primarily concentrate on progress updates, leaving the existing thread for all the extraneous chat. I was just making an observation (and admittedly contributing to the very phenomenon I called out, as I seem to be continuing to do). :)

Curious Constance

IMG_4502.jpg

Curious Constance

Will these access points to Mickey and Friends be just for pedestrians? Why is there a need to connect the two of them? So you can get to a centralized security area?
IMG_4505.jpg

mm121

Gotta love California and their warning labels on EVERYTHING
Will these access points to Mickey and Friends be just for pedestrians? Why is there a need to connect the two of them? So you can get to a centralized security area?
IMG_4505.jpg
It's got a path for humans and cars.

If your parked on the north end of the garage using the M&F escalators could be a shorter walk, its also good to have them connected if people simply forget where they park or for emergencies.

The ramps in this pic are assumed to be for up traffic, so far we haven't seen Cleo have it's own set of exit ramps so the current theory is the cars will use these two bridges to go over to Mickey and friends to use the existing exit ramps.

Ismael Flores

IMG_4505.jpg

I havent noticed any down ramps being integrated into the construction. It looks to me that the ramps that we see in this picture will be the up ramps for guests to go park after passing the toll booths.

At night for exiting they might be using these connecting ramps for exiting and merging into existing down ramps. It wouldn't surprise me if we see more of them pop up for some of the other floors.

I just don't see why they would be pedestrian ramps. The only need for that would be if someone got lost and needed to go from one parking structure to the other. No other reason to have pedestrian crossing since both structures have their escalators leading to same central check area and courtyard. as a matter of fact if people cross from one parking structure to the other then they would end up walking more to the southern escalators only to walk back north to security area

oops, someone beat me to it and i just repeated what they said

mm121

So the prevailing theory is that Cleo will have no exit ramps of its own and everyone will instead pour back into M&F to exit?

Hmmm...
source.gif

One off the wall theory is that they could build a set of down ramps in the space between the two garages accessed from the north west bridge that connects the two garages together

It could then be used by cars from both garages.
Just thinking maybe they are waiting to build it later in construction as right now that space is needed for construction access.
Screenshot_20180910-175743.jpg

Last edited:

Macro

So the prevailing theory is that Cleo will have no exit ramps of its own and everyone will instead pour back into M&F to exit?

Disney said some time ago that you'd have to drive south on Disneyland Dr when exiting the new parking structure. Presumably this is because Mickey and Friends alone uses up so much street throughput to get back onto the highway. Disney said that you'd use a tram route which presumably is the old tram road at the extreme south end of DCA. And then eventually (after quite a lot of waiting at traffic lights) you get back onto the highway.

I've been trying to find the Disney quote but I can't find it at the moment. This was quite a while back. I think it showed up in the old cleo parking garage thread (now hiding in the political section).

EDIT: the best quote I can find at this point is:
For example, according to Disney media materials, these improvements will “reroute vehicles exiting the new parking structure and Downtown Disney to the former tram route situated on Disney’s property, to allow for I-5 access in a way that minimizes traffic on city streets on busy days.”

The tram route is taken by most to mean the old tram route on the south end of DCA.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Soooooo, I want to revive a topic from the previous thread. Elevators....

Now we've been under the assumption that the wide hole in the escalator tower is for the tram path. However I'm beginning to have the thoughts it might be where the elevator banks will be going. Two on each side for a total of 4 elevators, all opening inwards.

So the tram will go around the backside of the Cleo escalator tower and enter into the ground level of Cleo for loading. With the security checkpoint right as you enter the Cleo ground level for loading.

So that's might thought for the day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom