Pixar Pals Parking Structure Specifics/Updates

mm121

Nice video update.

Almost looks they they are fencing off a tunnel of sorts to possibly begin driving the tram through the new structure once they build just a bit more roadway to allow work to continue on the rest of the plaza where the current turn loop is and the extended queue.

Darkbeer1

Nice video update.

Almost looks they they are fencing off a tunnel of sorts to possibly begin driving the tram through the new structure once they build just a bit more roadway to allow work to continue on the rest of the plaza where the current turn loop is and the extended queue.

That is the plan. So glad to see it progress.

As soon as the tram loading and security is moved, they can work on the new entrance toll lanes.

NobodyElse

For a while now, I've wondered if Disney couldn't cut a deal with The Toll Roads / FasTrack folks. Have one of two (or eventually more) lanes dedicated to using the transponders (which by the way will start being swapped out for new Sticker Transponders this July) .

Perhaps offer a 5 to 10 percent discount for using those lanes, and of course have their databases communicate so that current parking-included passholders quietly roll through for free.

Just a thought...

mm121

For a while now, I've wondered if Disney couldn't cut a deal with The Toll Roads / FasTrack folks. Have one of two (or eventually more) lanes dedicated to using the transponders (which by the way will start being swapped out for new Sticker Transponders this July) .

Perhaps offer a 5 to 10 percent discount for using those lanes, and of course have their databases communicate so that current parking-included passholders quietly roll through for free.

Just a thought...
We can use the Sunpass at the airports here in Florida,

I definitely don't think they'd give a discount though since they'd be losing a percentage of revenue to the toll operator.

A more realistic solution could be to put rfid chips in the annual passes and have a special lane where you just wave it out the window at a reader

Would probably still need to have the lane manned by a human, but could help with the process making the people who visit often entry into the garage quicker.

They could also sell parking passes online like aquatica (SeaWorld's water park in Orlando) does. You pay for parking when you buy tickets so they just have to have a human scan it quick versus actually messing with cash and credit cards

Old Mouseketeer

We can use the Sunpass at the airports here in Florida,

I definitely don't think they'd give a discount though since they'd be losing a percentage of revenue to the toll operator.

A more realistic solution could be to put rfid chips in the annual passes and have a special lane where you just wave it out the window at a reader

Would probably still need to have the lane manned by a human, but could help with the process making the people who visit often entry into the garage quicker.

They could also sell parking passes online like aquatica (SeaWorld's water park in Orlando) does. You pay for parking when you buy tickets so they just have to have a human scan it quick versus actually messing with cash and credit cards

Those are some good ideas--I wouldn't be surprised to see something like this implemented in the future. I think there may be some other aspects to it, such as routing more people to parking locations that Disney wants to fill, or different pricing at certain locations.

Darkbeer1

OK, Disney does sell parking passes in advance, and has for a few years...

As for the California FasTrak system, back in 2002, you could use a Transponder to pay in a McDonald's Drive Thru.

Businesses have since told CalTrans and the individual Toll Agencies they don't want to have any non-toll items to be eligible for FasTrak use, as did Rental Car Companies, due to potential abuse.

But Disney has/is looking into types of automated Parking Fee collections. both scanning an AP or using a credit/debit card (especially the tap and go options). As for AP's, they want a visual check of the AP holder to be in the vehicle. So they can go the self checkout route, and have one CM in charge of multiple lanes, where he has two things on his screen, one is the AP photo, second is an image through the front windshield, maybe multiple views, if there is a match, the gate goes up to the parking path. If not, directed to a manned booth. Also using facial recognition.

The key is the multiple paths, one for green lights, the second for issues, like a guest who got in the wrong lane. They can't back up, so sending them to a manned booth will allow the CM to assist, and if needed, issue the exit pass, and place it on the windshield. But if 90% of drivers can do a quick machine processed transaction, that will greatly improve the vehicles per hour entering the structure/lot.

Darkbeer1

While The Toll Roads are trying the Sticker Tech, it has one serious problem. LA Metro uses a switchable Transponder (1, 2 or 3 or more in the vehicle) on its 10 and 110 Freeway HOT Lanes. Many folks, including myself, use FasTrak throughout SoCal on a regular basis. I NEED the switchable one, as when you set it to 2 or 3+ you get free or reduced tolls. If you have an old-school traditional or the new sticker version, you automatically get charged the solo rate, no matter how many folks are in the car. (Exception is the 91 Express Lanes, which has 3+ vehicle drive on a special lane at the toll check areas). The Northern California HOT Lanes also use the "Flex" FasTrak with the switch.

In San Diego, I need to remove my transponder and place it a Mylar bag (signal blocker) to drive the I-15 HOT lanes without charge as a carpool vehicle. My transponder is attached to the windshield with Velcro strips.

With a sticker, since you can't really remove it, or block its signal, I would be charged the solo rate every time I enter a HOT lane, something that would cost me a lot of money.

So the sticker is for a niche set of users, basically for someone who only drive on the Toll Roads and 91 Express Lanes, and no other HOT lanes in Los Angeles, San Diego and Northern California. And as more HOT lanes are added State Wide, they will want the Switchable ones.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
So based on the last video I'm expecting we're gonna see the trams relocate into PixarPals by the end of the month. Which then means I expect the current tram path redo by the end of May.

We're in the final leg of this, its exciting!

Darkbeer1

So based on the last video I'm expecting we're gonna see the trams relocate into PixarPals by the end of the month. Which then means I expect the current tram path redo by the end of May.

We're in the final leg of this, its exciting!

The latest I have heard is very late July, or maybe August if they run into issues. APD is gearing up for traffic control issues throughout the summer.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The latest I have heard is very late July, or maybe August if they run into issues. APD is gearing up for traffic control issues throughout the summer.
I wasn’t posting about when it was going to open. I’ve accepted it’s not opening in May or even June.

I was only talking about when the tram moves into PixarPals, if that isn’t happening until July/August then this thing ain’t opening until December/January.

NobodyElse

I NEED the switchable one, as when you set it to 2 or 3+ you get free or reduced tolls.

They don't address this on their site. Have you contacted them regarding this situation?

EDIT: Per a message on their FB page "Hardcase switchable transponders will remain available in addition to the sticker transponders."

I assume keeping the switchable transponder will mean keeping the monthly account maintenance fee.

Last edited:

Darkbeer1

And we qualify for our fee to be waived.

One of our vehicles will be switching to the 91 Express Lanes FasTrak transponder due to ADA issues.

That is a main problem with FasTrak, each agency listed at the link (10 of them) issue their own devices, and has their own monthly fee schedule. So you have to figure out which of the 10 are best for you. (4 in Socal, 6 in the Bay Area). They don't make it easy.

VJ

From the April 11 issue of Disneyland Line:
Pixar Pals: The new Guest parking structure next to Mickey & Friends will be open by July. Called Pixar Pals, this structure will provide more than 5,000 parking spaces with a new electronic light sensor system to expedite parking. The new pedestrian bridge that will connect visitors walking from the parking structures over Magic Way is scheduled to open by September.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom