Pixar Fest - Reviews and Thoughts, plus Soft Opening News

Rich T

This upsets me. Walt Disney Animation has been losing its identity more and more. I know this obviously isn't the animated film itself, but having Pixar injected into a Frozen stageplay only blends them together more.
DCA's new name should be Pixneyland.

Disneylover152

I honestly had no idea what that ball is.

1524332092481.png

Animaniac93-98

Epcot attendance peaked in 1987, and has yet to match numbers from that year. Overall decline until 2002, which was its lowest year. Attendance has been essentially flat for the past 10 years, even with Frozen. 2017 might *just* reach the most recent high, 11.8 mil in 1997.

You mean 15 years of minimal investment and non-stop festivals aren't a good way to sustain or grow theme park attendence?!

MTBaymax

Mini Review:

So, a late meeting in OC last night prompted a stop at the park to catch the fireworks show atrocity in person. Wow.

It is easily the most thrown-together, disjointed, lackluster fireworks/multimedia presentation I have ever seen at Disneyland (or any Disney park for that matter). No heart behind it. It literally felt like an ADD kid was running an iPod of Pixar movies and just kept hitting the "next" button at his pleasure.

For the most part, the crowd was "into it". Though by that, I mean they "ooooh"ed and "aahhhh"ed at just about any dazzling display of light. Which by the way, wasn't much. It really doesn't do much as a pyrotechnic display. It's mostly colored-fireworks-to-match-the-movie that serves to mildly distract from the hard to distinguish projections going on.

By far the biggest reaction was during Coco. But even then, the moment is so brief and so random amidst the rest of the show. Though I will say, the pop-up characters on the Main St. roofs were a nice touch. That's probably the highest praise I can give it.

I’m gonna mention this again, and I’ll explain why. Instead of the fireworks show just randomly starting with the Ball rolling from the castle down the street (or elsewhere depending on viewing area), it should’ve been sent in motion by Luxo Jr and all his hopping. Not only that, but the Lamp be the narrative link throughout the show, beginning to end. At the very least, it would make things more fluid - to a point - and be the connecting force to all of these movies. (Not to mention, we all know they have more than full length features; they can spotlight a few of their lesser known short films too).

I can understand why there’s a SHARP divide between who loves it and who hates it (again, the finale is the only thing I like about it); however, if the guest scores match the suits’ expectations, we may not see the end. (Although, if there is a sequel, it should carry the late winter/spring season - this thing cannot carry summer)

Rich T

I'm not talking about the DCA show, I'm talking about the new musical on Broadway in NYC.
Oh, I know. Your observation made me think Pixney is a good name for what Disney-owned animation is becoming. And DCA is a park in need of an identity... even a bad one... 😀

SuddenStorm

The Fireworks show is ridiculous.

When planning a Disneyland firework show, the first question in the first planning meeting will be "How will this integrate the Disney brand- both old and new- in the most evocative way possible?" And if the answer to that is "There won't be any Disney related stuff in it", the show should instantly be scrapped and revised.

TragicMike

My point is how Disney's integration of Pixar into the parks has been less than consistent. It was 20 years ago and it still is today.

Disney touts on being the best in themed designed entertainment. All of their assets should be treated by that mentality. Whether it be on a permanent attraction or a promotional festival.
I understand THAT point. I'm confused why you brought up classic literature. Are you saying only attractions of classic literature should be used for IP-based attractions? Is Indiana Jones not going to stand the "test of time?"

TROR

The Fireworks show is ridiculous.

When planning a Disneyland firework show, the first question in the first planning meeting will be "How will this integrate the Disney brand- both old and new- in the most evocative way possible?" And if the answer to that is "There won't be any Disney related stuff in it", the show should instantly be scrapped and revised.
Disagree. Neither the 4th of July and the Christmas show feature anything Disney but still manage to poke at our emotions.

__r.jr

Okay everyone, pardon this slight deviation of the thread...

I'm confused why you brought up classic literature.

I brougt it up because Disney's interpretation of classic literature from their animated films is brought to life, again, into the real world this time by urban design, architecture and atmosphere one can actually step foot into. Those same characters, stories, themes and settings that transcend time is executed and reflected upon in Fantasyland in terms of style and aesthetics, cohesively and believably.

Pixar on the other hand doesn't rise to the same plateau. It's subjected to same scrutiny but ultimately fails because of its own initial encompassing design. When incorporated into the parks, they hold one or more of the following problematic attributes:

• Most Pixar properties (in and outside of the derived films) are portrayed in current contemporary times and places

• Most do not adequately support the theme or share any relevance of the area where they're located

• Most that do try to support the theme, doesn't fully commit or hold any convection regarding it

• Most conflict stylistically and/or conceptually with those areas to at least a moderate degree

• Most of them are not the cream of the crop in terms of immersion and/or innovation

• Most of the them don't really recapture the elements that made their films so special

Opinions on whether or not these are true will vary, of course, but I think it would make sense for someone who believes in some or all of them to be weary whenever Disney integrates Pixar into the theme parks.

Now, for context...

For much of their history, Disney creates 'lands' that were meant to evoke real time periods; to artistically show how real places looked, or would look. They aren't replications of any actual places, but they strive to convey impressionistic feelings for eras and places that actually exist (or could, in the case of Tomorrowland) in our temporal world.

To be sure, most of the 'lands' they create contains fantasy elements, but these elements work within the structure of the "story" being presented. This is why the 18th century Sailing Ship Columbia never quite looked out of place in a 19th century Frontierland; or why a 1920's fire engine seems to work on 1900 Main Street, or that a fictional Swiss-owned treehouse meshed well in an African, Asian and South American influenced Adventureland. The fantastic elements fit into the stories of the lands, and were executed realistically.

This is why placing Pixar elements into the quasi-realistic environments of realistic 'lands' is detrimental to our believing the fiction (what Disney touts as being called "immersed").

Like it or not, all the Pixar creations to date are, in fact, cartoons--artistic creations, to be sure, but creations that have no correlation with the real world (and please spare me the argument that Woody and Buzz can now be purchased as toys. That's far beside the point).

Placing cartoon elements into the quasi-realities destroys that sense of reality. All good, believable fantasy relies on a very thin veneer of reality to make it work. The Mark Twain is really a powered steam boat; Main Street is composed of actual shops, just like the real thing. Peel away some of that reality, and the fantasy begins to suffer. Off the top of ones head, Woody could make sense in Frontierland until you realize he is a star from a 1950's Western children's show. Woody's Round-Up is a typical exaggeration for dramatic effect perception of the Old West... It doesn't exactly have any correlation to an actual portrayal of an idealized 1800's Old West Disney intended to create.

One may perceive Fantasyland doens't share the same sense of grounded reality as the other 'lands' do but it does.

Fantasyland can be seen as an American's interpretation of European fantasy, legend and magic just as Adventureland is American's romanticization of fantasy, legend and magic of the world's exotic locales. Many Fantasyland IPs are based on public domain fairy tales and it's like Disney showing off their interpretation of said stories via films while also paying homage to where the stories come from using different architecture and music styles. Most of Disney's animated films at the time come from European fairy tales so they were filtered through American eyes when Disney made them and again when being placed in Fantasyland. There's its grounded sense. It maybe not be as blatant or obvious but it's there. And speaking of Adventureland...

Are you saying only attractions of classic literature should be used for IP-based attractions? Is Indiana Jones not going to stand the "test of time?"

Not at all but I'm glad you brought up Indiana Jones. Where Temple of the Forbidden Eye succeeds in theme, concept and execution most Pixar attractions fail to achieve on one if not on multitude levels of those principles.

On the surface, it seems like an archaeologist exploring and having an adventure in a 'land' that is inspired by remote jungles and locales that span multiple continents makes a for a beautiful combination. It does but the huge benefit of integrating it in Adventureland was in its inception was not tied to a specific bygone era. It is meant to be an American romantic interpretation of a collection of exotic locations containing touches of fantasy, magic and legend just without a time period allotted (somewhat like on the same merits of Fantasyland). Not that it needed one but Indiana Jones fills that "void" and does so along with not only checking off on other key principles but maybe even enhancing them: Theme, concept and execution.

They made it work without it feeling forced; they put time, thought, and effort into it. Some placemaking needed to be altered, the Jungle Cruise had to be edited but overall it didn't thematically or narratively compromise anything integral that was already there. Is it perfect? No by any means. Overly simple? Perhaps, but it stands as a testament of how IP (especially ones that Disney did not create) should be integrated within the theme established parks. With a full comprehension of both the IP and the park's 'lands' and overarching identity.

Curious Constance

I brougt it up because Disney's interpretation of classic literature from their animated films is brought to life, again, into the real world this time by urban design, architecture and atmosphere one can actually step foot into. Those same characters, stories, themes and settings that transcend time is executed and reflected upon in Fantasyland in terms of style and aesthetics, cohesively and believably.

Pixar on the other hand doesn't rise to the same plateau. It's subjected to same scrutiny but ultimately fails because of its own initial encompassing design. When incorporated into the parks, they hold one or more of the following problematic attributes:

• Most Pixar properties (in and outside of the derived films) are portrayed in current contemporary times and places

• Most do not adequately support the theme or share any relevance of the area where they're located

• Most that do try to support the theme, doesn't fully commit or hold any convection regarding it

• Most conflict stylistically and/or conceptually with those areas to at least a moderate degree

• Most of them are not the cream of the crop in terms of immersion and/or innovation

• Most of the them don't really recapture the elements that made their films so special

Opinions on whether or not these are true will vary, of course, but I think it would make sense for someone who believes in some or all of them to be weary whenever Disney integrates Pixar into the theme parks.

Now, for context...

For much of their history, Disney creates 'lands' that were meant to evoke real time periods; to artistically show how real places looked, or would look. They aren't replications of any actual places, but they strive to convey impressionistic feelings for eras and places that actually exist (or could, in the case of Tomorrowland) in our temporal world.

To be sure, most of the 'lands' they create contains fantasy elements, but these elements work within the structure of the "story" being presented. This is why the 18th century Sailing Ship Columbia never quite looked out of place in a 19th century Frontierland; or why a 1920's fire engine seems to work on 1900 Main Street, or that a fictional Swiss-owned treehouse meshed well in an African, Asian and South American influenced Adventureland. The fantastic elements fit into the stories of the lands, and were executed realistically.

This is why placing Pixar elements into the quasi-realistic environments of realistic 'lands' is detrimental to our believing the fiction (what Disney touts as being called "immersed").

Like it or not, all the Pixar creations to date are, in fact, cartoons--artistic creations, to be sure, but creations that have no correlation with the real world (and please spare me the argument that Woody and Buzz can now be purchased as toys. That's far beside the point).

Placing cartoon elements into the quasi-realities destroys that sense of reality. All good, believable fantasy relies on a very thin veneer of reality to make it work. The Mark Twain is really a powered steam boat; Main Street is composed of actual shops, just like the real thing. Peel away some of that reality, and the fantasy begins to suffer. Off the top of ones head, Woody could make sense in Frontierland until you realize he is a star from a 1950's Western children's show. Woody's Round-Up is a typical exaggeration for dramatic effect perception of the Old West... It doesn't exactly have any correlation to an actual portrayal of an idealized 1800's Old West Disney intended to create.

One may perceive Fantasyland doens't share the same sense of grounded reality as the other 'lands' do but it does.

Fantasyland can be seen as an American's interpretation of European fantasy, legend and magic just as Adventureland is American's romanticization of fantasy, legend and magic of the world's exotic locales. Many Fantasyland IPs are based on public domain fairy tales and it's like Disney showing off their interpretation of said stories via films while also paying homage to where the stories come from using different architecture and music styles. Most of Disney's animated films at the time come from European fairy tales so they were filtered through American eyes when Disney made them and again when being placed in Fantasyland. There's its grounded sense. It maybe not be as blatant or obvious but it's there. And speaking of Adventureland...

Not at all but I'm glad you brought up Indiana Jones. Where Temple of the Forbidden Eye succeeds in theme, concept and execution most Pixar attractions fail to achieve on one if not on multitude levels of those principles.

On the surface, it seems like an archaeologist exploring and having an adventure in a 'land' that is inspired by remote jungles and locales that span multiple continents makes a for a beautiful combination. It does but the huge benefit of integrating it in Adventureland was in its inception was not tied to a specific bygone era. It is meant to be an American romantic interpretation of a collection of exotic locations containing touches of fantasy, magic and legend just without a time period allotted (somewhat like on the same merits of Fantasyland). Not that it needed one but Indiana Jones fills that "void" and does so along with not only checking off on other key principles but maybe even enhancing them: Theme, concept and execution.

They made it work without it feeling forced; they put time, thought, and effort into it. Some placemaking needed to be altered, the Jungle Cruise had to be edited but overall it didn't thematically or narratively compromise anything integral that was already there. Is it perfect? No by any means. Overly simple? Perhaps, but it stands as a testament of how IP (especially ones that Disney did not create) should be integrated within the theme established parks. With a full comprehension of both the IP and the park's 'lands' and overarching identity.
Back when lands had more thought and nuance behind them than, "You'll remember this from a movie you probably saw because we literally copied it shot for shot."

DanielBB8

Now, for context...

This can easily be summarized as contemporary theming does not count as theming even if not in Disneyland. Pixar is contemporary so incompatible with historical theming so cannot be in Disneyland and shouldn’t be in California Adventure either or any other Disney theme park since Disney should only do theming as narrowly defined.

Whether Woody or Buzz works in Frontierland or Tomorrowland, well it just doesn’t because fake or unreal. You have to trust Disney was always sincere about those lands.

Disneylover152

This can easily be summarized as contemporary theming does not count as theming even if not in Disneyland. Pixar is contemporary so incompatible with historical theming so cannot be in Disneyland and shouldn’t be in California Adventure either or any other Disney theme park since Disney should only do theming as narrowly defined.

Whether Woody or Buzz works in Frontierland or Tomorrowland, well it just doesn’t because fake or unreal. You have to trust Disney was always sincere about those lands.

Disagree. That's like saying Mickey doesn't fit on Main Street because Mickey wasn't around when Main Street was created. Pixar can fit in certain lands. Example, UP can fit in Grizzly Peak with the Wilderness Explorer's camp. Star Wars is fake and unreal yet its in Tomorrowland. Most say ghosts are fake and unreal, yet they are in New Orleans Square.

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
Disagree. That's like saying Mickey doesn't fit on Main Street because Mickey wasn't around when Main Street was created. Pixar can fit in certain lands. Example, UP can fit in Grizzly Peak with the Wilderness Explorer's camp. Star Wars is fake and unreal yet its in Tomorrowland. Most say ghosts are fake and unreal, yet they are in New Orleans Square.

Ghosts are real. I know because Walt shows up in my room every night to kvetch and moan about the Incredicoaster.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom