Pixar Fest - Reviews and Thoughts, plus Soft Opening News

Hatbox Ghostbuster

No offense but this has to be one of the most naive statements I've read here in a long time. Disney is a $150 billion global media company. Content is literally everything. For better or for worse the resorts exist today more or less to shill Disney brands in every shape and form possible.

I fully appreciate why people are clinging to long held perceptions about Disney Parks and what they once were, but c'mon, we aren't even close to talking about the same mindset within the organization today that created Disneyland or EPCOT. TBH, it's not even the mindset that existed 5 or 10 years ago.
Hans....bubie....it’s my naive optimism about the parks that keep me coming back ;)

My first park experience was Epcot in 1990. I guess it’s all been downhill since then.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

No offense but this has to be one of the most naive statements I've read here in a long time. Disney is a $150 billion global media company. Content is literally everything. For better or for worse the resorts exist today more or less to shill Disney brands in every shape and form possible.

I fully appreciate why people are clinging to long held perceptions about Disney Parks and what they once were, but c'mon, we aren't even close to talking about the same mindset within the organization today that created Disneyland or EPCOT. TBH, it's not even the mindset that existed 5 or 10 years ago.
I guess though part of me will always fight against what the current parks are “for” because some of us have experienced the time before it all changed...and it was just vastly superior.

Having said that, I do see it as a futile thing to keep harping on, so I’ll just kindly show myself out.

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
When was that though? 1989?

Epcot attendance peaked in 1987, and has yet to match numbers from that year. Overall decline until 2002, which was its lowest year. Attendance has been essentially flat for the past 10 years, even with Frozen. 2017 might *just* reach the most recent high, 11.8 mil in 1997.

Don't worry though, I'm sure an indoor Guardians of the Galaxy coaster with no show scenes will fix its problems.

FigmentForver96

Epcot attendance peaked in 1987, and has yet to match numbers from that year. Overall decline until 2002, which was its lowest year. Attendance has been essentially flat for the past 10 years, even with Frozen. 2017 might *just* reach the most recent high, 11.8 mil in 1997.

Don't worry though, I'm sure an indoor Guardians of the Galaxy coaster with no show scenes will fix its problems.
But but there was no IP backs then and people only care about that! That's what the people want! You're numbers are wrong and fake! (Sarcasam to the highest)

Anyone who can honestly say Epcot is or will be in a better place thanks to IP overload AND keep a straight face deserves a medal.

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
But but there was no IP backs then and people only care about that! That's what the people want! You're numbers are wrong and fake! (Sarcasam to the highest)

Anyone who can honestly say Epcot is or will be in a better place thanks to IP overload AND keep a straight face deserves a medal.

I'm just relieved the Brave dark ride got the axe in favor of Poppins. If you're gonna go IP, use a good one.

D

Deleted member 107043

Epcot attendance peaked in 1987, and has yet to match numbers from that year. Overall decline until 2002, which was its lowest year. Attendance has been essentially flat for the past 10 years, even with Frozen. 2017 might *just* re

So it peaked just 5 years after it opened. I rest my case.

Rich T

Would people enjoy DCA more if there was a name change/restructure of the story of the park?
If they spent enough money to fill the park with wonderful, inspiring attractions and dazzling technology, then people would enjoy the park more. That's been DCA's problem since Day 1. They need to pick a theme and do it WELL. After the leap made with Cars Land and BV Street, it's depressing to see them making the same clueless, stupid cheap-out 1.0 mistakes all over again.

Rich T

Epcot's attendance was higher when it was all long animatronic filled rides.
I loved Epcot when I visited in 1993, but the rides were one-and-done experiences for most visitors (not die-hard fans). Would you be interested in touring a World's Fair you'd already seen if all the pavilions had remained unchanged? That's why attendance fell. Don't get me wrong, I'm very sad to see the park abandon its original direction.

D

Deleted member 107043

I loved Epcot when I visited in 1993, but the rides were one-and-done experiences for most visitors (not die-hard fans). Would you be interested in touring a World's Fair you'd already seen if all the pavilions had remained unchanged? That's why attendance fell. Don't get me wrong, I'm very sad to see the park abandon its original direction.

I remember thinking in the back of my mind on opening day how ambitious it all was but wondered how certain basic elements, like the international pavilions, would age over time. 15 years from opening would anybody even care about visiting a world famous Japanese department store in a theme park? Even back then Disney didn't seem to know what to do with Tomorrowland, much less something as aspirational as EPCOT, so it's no surprise to me that the park languished while the MK flourished after the novelty of EPCOT quickly wore off.

TragicMike

Superficially, many of the great Disney attractions are based on "Disney" movies but why did Walt choose to make those movies? Because he knew that the stories he was telling were all based on classic literature. And the reason this literature was compelling was that it featured stories that tapped into well-recognized archetypes and our collective unconscious.

Peter Pan, Snow White, Pinocchio, Alice in Wonderland, Tom and Huck, even the original Submarine Voyage, all were drawn from stories that haven't just stood the test of a few years; some have survived for centuries. Now I'm not suggesting that Pixar stories don't touch on some very real subconscious imagery; they do since a whole generation has grown up and resonates today with them. However it is yet to be determined if these are the kinds of stories that will be passed down, generation to generation, the likes of Brothers Grimm's fairy tales or Mark Twain's works. Will we one day see "Nemo" or "Cars" taught in high schools, as Huck Finn or Grimm's works?

Artistically speaking Pixar has produced a long string of fantastic movies with great characters and settings. But can the same thing be said about the attractions based on those same films? The areas, rides, entertainment, shows, parades and promotional events? Some more than others, exceptions even, but for the most part, Disney within the last two decades has a history in concept and in execution of mismanaging Pixar assets within the parks.
Are children going to be taught about Indiana Jones or The Twilight Zone? They both produced beloved Disney attractions.

The point here isn't the subject matter but rather what Disney has done with the subject matter. Kinda confused why you brought up the whole "classic literature" point since it is irrelevant.

TROR

Indiana Jones and Twilight Zone are absolutely classics that kids now watch and will for years to come. Same can be said for most Pixar movies.

I don't think it's fair to be comparing Indiana Jones Adventure and the Incredicoaster, however. One is clearly a high tech, immersive experience that pushes the boundaries of theme parks and what kind of stories can be told in this medium. The other is Indiana Jones Adventure.

Disneylover152

While on the Pixar topic, I saw Frozen on Broadway the other day, and you will NEVER guess what was in Anna and Elsa's room... that's right, the Luxo Ball made an appearance in Frozen The Musical.

EDIT: I'm not talking about the DCA show, I'm talking about the new musical on Broadway in NYC.

Last edited:

TROR

While on the Pixar topic, I saw Frozen on Broadway the other day, and you will NEVER guess what was in Anna and Elsa's room... that's right, the Luxo Ball made an appearance in Frozen The Musical.
This upsets me. Walt Disney Animation has been losing its identity more and more. I know this obviously isn't the animated film itself, but having Pixar injected into a Frozen stageplay only blends them together more.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom