Pixar Fest - Reviews and Thoughts, plus Soft Opening News

Kman101

Oh joy, more of the "It's *supposed* to look terrible!" school of design." "Because the Pixar characters aren't good at pulling this off without looking tacky! See? It's funny! It's whimsical! It's not *us* creating all this garbage, it's Buzz and the gang ruining your view of the train station! Isn't this just precious???"

Bingo. That's (one of the main reason) why these things fail. (I'm still on page 10 so I'm sure a lot more discussion has gone on, just wanted to quote this for posterity because it's beyond accurate)

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
Three positives:

1) Paint the Night ALWAYS seemed like a parade designed for DCA based on happenstance from what they acquired from Hong Kong. In terms of spreading night offerings I feel like WoC/PTN and Fireworks/Fantasmic works beautifully.

Except that PTN is the successor to the MSEP. It’ll be back to DL where it belongs.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
A Pixar overlay to a land already based on a Pixar property. It's like some form of inception.

While the reference is fun and does connect, it seems like total disregard of brand integrity. Disney had to get rid of the Star Wars overlay applied to the Fab Five because of brand/character integrity orders from Lucasfilm. So why doesn't Pixar hold themselves to the same standard? Or is it because since both stem from the same brand, it doesn't apply?

The Cars franchise (and Pixar for that matter) has been known for taking real world references and putting a "Cars" spin on them since day one. So this does apply to the brand, as its a standard they set for themselves.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Don’t bet on it. It’ll return and they’ll market the hell out of it.

I'd bet on it staying at DCA for at least couple years, if not permanent, before it ever goes back to DL. At this point it makes more sense at DCA for the following reasons:

1. The parade route at DCA can handle more people.
2. With F! and Fireworks, having a night time parade is too much for the aging infrastructure to handle, 60th showed this. Evening it out so that PtN compliments WoC makes sense.
3. It makes DCA a draw so crowds are pulled over.

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
PTN is DCA's now. It is not going back to DL, as operationally the park can barely handle it in combination with Fantasmic and fireworks. Add Star Wars, and you've got a problems.

Like PTN could go back to DL some time way far out in the future, if things become very different. That is still unlikely. PTN at DCA is considered a permanent move in TDA.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
I'd bet on it staying at DCA for at least couple years, if not permanent, before it ever goes back to DL. At this point it makes more sense at DCA for the following reasons:

1. The parade route at DCA can handle more people.
2. With F! and Fireworks, having a night time parade is too much for the aging infrastructure to handle, 60th showed this. Evening it out so that PtN compliments WoC makes sense.
3. It makes DCA a draw so crowds are pulled over.

I agree with all that but I think eventually it will come back. Too good of a marketing opportunity. Of course Disney can drop the ball on that like other recent decisions.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Too good of a marketing opportunity. Of course Disney can drop the ball on that like other recent decisions.

So why do you feel DL is better with PtN than DCA?

And I'm sorry but just saying DL should have a night time parade doesn't cut it. So why is DL better suited to have PtN than DCA?

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
So why do you feel DL is better with PtN than DCA?

And I'm sorry but just saying DL should have a night time parade doesn't cut it. So why is DL better suited to have PtN than DCA?

Mostly aesthetic and sentimental reasons. DL is more magical at night. MSEP ties. DCA has no soul. Etc.

DL should have a night time parade though. It’s ridiculous that that as soon as we got a proper replacement for MSEP they move it to DCA. Just blah.

disneylandcm

Food sells special items year round. No extra effort needed.

Fireworks is the most significant investment, but even then, this show was cheaper than others due to its short shelf life.

The two parades are pre existing, one is 10 years old. The new floats for PPP are small and as cheap as possible.

The whole promotion is very low budget, and it shows. Coordination is required to open the gates each morning, it’s not a special skill.
I remember quite fondly the era when day time parades were regularly replaced. In those years we enjoyed Blast to the Past, Circus Fantasy, State Fair, The World According to Goofy, Aladdin’s Royal Caravan, The Lion King Celebration, Hercules Victory Parade and more. Not to mention rotating stage shows like Beauty and the Beast Live, The Spirit of Pocahontas and The Hunchback of Notre Dame Festival of Fools. Aside from Christmas and MSEP, entertainment was considered a relatively inexpensive way to continually refresh the park. With that mindset PPP, nor even Soundsational, would never have lasted so many years. I sincerely miss that.

TP2000

I think Paint The Night looks good in DCA. Every major float has a presence in DCA. The lone exception seems to be Tinkerbell and Peter Pan on the lead float, who have no attraction or dining location in DCA. Otherwise, all of these floats and characters have lands, rides, shows and attractions dedicated to them in DCA.

The new Incredibles float will debut in June, just in time for the Incredibles E Ticket ride with Incredicoaster.
Image_DLR_Pixar-Fest-Incredibles-Float-750x422.jpg

Plus, the big scale of Paint The Night blends in well with the larger scale of DCA's parade route. It looks like it works to me.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Mostly aesthetic and sentimental reasons. DL is more magical at night. MSEP ties. DCA has no soul. Etc.

DL should have a night time parade though. It’s ridiculous that that as soon as we got a proper replacement for MSEP they move it to DCA. Just blah.

That should really read DL is more magical at night so it doesn't NEED a night time parade.

Adding PtN to DCA adds more charm to the park, that many feel it needs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom