Pixar Fest - Reviews and Thoughts, plus Soft Opening News

George Lucas on a Bench

You know what's a way bigger disappointment? Pixar Fest... you know the thing where pixar colors & decor is thrown up all over disneyland and DCA?

Pixar Fest is a slapped together overlay...thing. It's tacky and ridiculous, to be sure, but nowhere near as offensive.

They're not closing a classic like the Snow White dark ride, for instance.

DanielBB8

Food sells special items year round. No extra effort needed.
They do it all the time, but this doesn’t mean the effort is lazy. It still requires special skill to invest in the product and the people.

Fireworks is the most significant investment, but even then, this show was cheaper than others due to its short shelf life.
You regard a special presentation as cheap because it won’t last. They shouldn’t even bother at all especially with Star Wars opening next year.

The two parades are pre existing, one is 10 years old. The new floats for PPP are small and as cheap as possible.
They are Pixar parades that had Paint the Night on hiatus last year. It’s money to bring it back especially to alter some floats to fit in California Adventure. It would be cheaper to keep it Disneyland and maybe keep the Frozen float. The money spend is not cheap especially with new Pixar floats that will join the parade. Grasping at straws as usual.

The whole promotion is very low budget, and it shows. Coordination is required to open the gates each morning, it’s not a special skill.
You can’t decide if it’s low budget or nothing special. Everything so far meant spending more money than they had to especially with Pixar Pier coming soon.

Sir_Cliff

It dominates the landscape at DCA? PP literally replaced one half of a land. A land, not the entire park, but one land, half of it. Of the nine rides prior to this infection, PP is re-skinning three of them. So 33% of the rides will change, in one land, not DCA as a whole. Then one new ride will be added and some food stands will be re-skinned. Again, the other 2/3 of the land will be untouched. Including the entire park, that’s 3/33 attractions, so .09% will change.

You guys and gals are exaggerating to try and get your point across, but it’s not working too well.
Granted it will be something of a hybrid land as I guess Mickey's face is staying on the Fun Wheel. Still, I am surprised anyone would argue that Paradise Pier/Pixar Pier isn't DCA's visual focal point. As I said, Google Image "Disney California Adventure" and you'll see that by far the most photographed view of the park is the pier rising up across the lagoon. Both from guests and in promotional materials. The nightly show also has the pier as the backdrop. Again, to me it's kind of like saying that repainting the castle in the Pixar colors (which are apparently red, blue, and yellow) wouldn't be a big change because it's only one building among many in the park.

To be clear, I think DLR has done almost everything far better than WDW for at least the past 10-15 years. I also don't like either TSL or PP. To me, though, Pixar Pier is worse because it takes a significant and the most iconic section of the park and re-themes it to something that weakens the overall cohesion of the park. TSL, on the other hand, is on land at the back of DHS that wasn't being used for much of anything. The park itself is already such a jumble of IPs loosely connected by the theme of "Hollywood Studios" that shoving one more in doesn't add much to the park, but it also doesn't detract all that much. So, in part, this comes down to DCA currently being a better park overall.

Curious Constance

So there is a La Luna themed boardwalk game? Weird.

1523717827318.png

smile

They could do great things, but they don’t, and “fans” reward them with money either way.

there's the rub...
as/if/when the masses fawn and flock regardless, it becomes hard to justify 'fixing' what isn't 'broken' - it even calls into question the very definition of 'broken'.

one also must factor in the exorbitant cost of attractions these days; driven, in large part, by wdi themselves...
of course, that tends to lead towards brass being timid about capex meaning less risks and more sure bets.

mix in a pot and traits of six flags and old uni shorcuts and passed examples of 'good enough' start to creep in.

BrianLo

Three positives:

1) Paint the Night ALWAYS seemed like a parade designed for DCA based on happenstance from what they acquired from Hong Kong. In terms of spreading night offerings I feel like WoC/PTN and Fireworks/Fantasmic works beautifully.
2) I like the UP house and they have an affinity for it in these new fireworks shows as the balloons on the castle always work well with projection mapping. I hope that returns in the next iteration of something better.
3) I actually really like the way the entrance area is shaping up visually.

I think that’s all. Everything else I won’t see anyways as I’m on a self sustained DL blackout until 2019.

The Pizza Port signage is the pinnacle of themed design.

__r.jr

A Pixar overlay to a land already based on a Pixar property. It's like some form of inception.

While the reference is fun and does connect, it seems like total disregard of brand integrity. Disney had to get rid of the Star Wars overlay applied to the Fab Five because of brand/character integrity orders from Lucasfilm. So why doesn't Pixar hold themselves to the same standard? Or is it because since both stem from the same brand, it doesn't apply?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom