Pirates Restaurant?

vonpluto

El Pirata Y El Perico IS turning into TORTUGA TAVERN! I confirmed this months ago. The managers and cast of this location knew about the name change in Spring of 2010. Disney is trying to capitalize on the next POTC movie by making this transformation. However, El Pirata was NEVER designed to be a table service location. The kitchen is the size of a large master bedroom, roughly about 12-15x10 feet. It is SMALL. If any effort was made to expand the kitchen to support a table service restaurant, they would have to expand into the already small dining area. It simply would be too much of an undertaking for Disney to invest in now that they are wrapped up in the Fantasyland Expansion. El Pirata is receiving a new paint job as well as a few more props and decorating to add to the theming, as well as another SURPRISE that will be a 1st for Walt Disney World! As far as Adventureland Veranda goes, there are no current plans to transform is back into a table service restaurant. In case you haven't heard, the princesses are going to be moving in as soon as Toontown Closes. And the reason why Liberty Tree isn't a character meal is because it is along the parade route in the Magic Kingdom. Imagine a family getting a visit from Mickey and pals at their table and then looking out the window and seeing them go by on a parade float... think about it! Everything has a reason why or why not Disney does it.

This is the TRONorail - over and out!

This is interesting. I always thought Pecos Bill, Perico and the Veranda had a shared kitchen facility.:shrug:

mm52200

wow, cry me a river. it's amazing how some people always try to out-prove others on this site just because they want the final say in everything. my info came directly from the entertainment department as well as restaurant area managers in the magic kingdom. the point i was trying to make about the parades is that disney is always changing things based on issues they have had do to poor planning (another case and point, King Stefan's Royal Banquet Hall in Cinderella Castle). you can blame budget cuts for anything in the park, but there are also other reasons why disney does things. ok, now back to everyone complaining about everything wrong with Disney World :ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL:

I'm not trying to outprove you and if you actually have sources then of course you're right. I just find that reasoning really odd considering all those other issues I pointed out they're going to let happen and that the characters left during a time of budget cuts and other events of the like.

Timon

I'm hoping for DIFFERENT food - no hamburgers, fried chicken etc. DL has a Counter Service place called Bengal BBQ - basically food on a stick. Grilled in front of you and boy does it smell good. It could fit next to Aloha Isle perfectly or minor changes to El Parada.

Photoshop version at Aland Veranda
Bengal%20BBQ%20at%20MK%20Adventureland.jpg

Bengal%20BBQ%20at%20MK%20Adventureland%20Details.jpg

Dl%20Bengal%20BBQ%2004.jpg

HamTown

The only parade that goes by LTT during dinner hours is the Electrical Light Parade and I believe that has been the case for some time. We happened to score a window seat at LTT a few trips ago and really enjoyed being able to see the lights of the parade go by as we had dinner.

I wonder how capacity has been since the characters left. We chose not to return even though my kids liked the food. Too expensive for no character interaction.

bstiles - I understand that your child may have been scared of pirates, but I'll tell you that my DD was fine with pirates at age 3. However, she was terrified of Pluto :shrug: We even had to get Pluto to leave a M&G area so she could talk with Minnie. Every kid is different.

asianway

Really so the fact that the parade passes by there all of sudden just popped into their minds after LTT had been operating as a Character Dining Spot for years? What about Cinderella's Royal Table? There's a castle show with all the same princesses going on right in front of the castle and when the Fantasyland Expansion is finished and the Royal Hall with the princesses will be able to be seen through the windows overlooking FL in the restaurant. Oh and the parade also goes by Exposition Hall where you will soon be able to meet Mickey, Minnie, and the princesses all day long...even while the parade is happening right in front of it. LTT lost the characters because of budget cuts, not because the parade goes by.

The LTT characters would dart away just before the parade rolled by - they of course needed to get on the floats!

Operationally, I am sure this was a challenge, but all they had to do was change it to characters that werent in Spectro - would not have taken a brain surgeon...

rct247

Yup, new name is Tortuga Tavern and is still a seasonal restaurant that has the same menu, just new decor from what I understand.

djkidkaz

Why dont they close down one of the many restaurants serving chicken strips and burgers and open this up year round instead? Give some variety. Disney doesn't know how much I appreciate the BBQ Pull Pork just because it isn't chicken strips or a cheeseburger.

And Im guessing the surprise Tronorail mentioned was that they are going to put in an AA of Jack Sparrow in the restaurant.

Vernonpush

El Pirata Y El Perico IS turning into TORTUGA TAVERN! I confirmed this months ago. The managers and cast of this location knew about the name change in Spring of 2010. Disney is trying to capitalize on the next POTC movie by making this transformation. However, El Pirata was NEVER designed to be a table service location. The kitchen is the size of a large master bedroom, roughly about 12-15x10 feet. It is SMALL. If any effort was made to expand the kitchen to support a table service restaurant, they would have to expand into the already small dining area. It simply would be too much of an undertaking for Disney to invest in now that they are wrapped up in the Fantasyland Expansion. El Pirata is receiving a new paint job as well as a few more props and decorating to add to the theming, as well as another SURPRISE that will be a 1st for Walt Disney World! As far as Adventureland Veranda goes, there are no current plans to transform is back into a table service restaurant. In case you haven't heard, the princesses are going to be moving in as soon as Toontown Closes. And the reason why Liberty Tree isn't a character meal is because it is along the parade route in the Magic Kingdom. Imagine a family getting a visit from Mickey and pals at their table and then looking out the window and seeing them go by on a parade float... think about it! Everything has a reason why or why not Disney does it.

This is the TRONorail - over and out!

Why dont they close down one of the many restaurants serving chicken strips and burgers and open this up year round instead? Give some variety. Disney doesn't know how much I appreciate the BBQ Pull Pork just because it isn't chicken strips or a cheeseburger.

And Im guessing the surprise Tronorail mentioned was that they are going to put in an AA of Jack Sparrow in the restaurant.

Sonny Eclipse would be the first AA in a restaurant at WDW.:shrug:

jmmc

I have to add my support for this comment! While I realize the purpose of many of these quick service food spots is to be an easy place for parents to take their kids for a fast meal. That's why so much of the food is kid-friendly and kinda boring chicken fingers, etc. But a little variety for us old kids would be nice. A friend of mine and his wife visited WDW for the first time a couple years ago, and his biggest complaint: "I couldn't take all the chicken fingers and hamburgers!" :)

I just think it'd be nice for us older folks who like Disney too to have some other quick food options.

NewfieFan

I have to add my support for this comment! While I realize the purpose of many of these quick service food spots is to be an easy place for parents to take their kids for a fast meal. That's why so much of the food is kid-friendly and kinda boring chicken fingers, etc. But a little variety for us old kids would be nice. A friend of mine and his wife visited WDW for the first time a couple years ago, and his biggest complaint: "I couldn't take all the chicken fingers and hamburgers!" :)

I just think it'd be nice for us older folks who like Disney too to have some other quick food options.

I well add to this as well! Epcot has so much choice when it comes to CS food and the MK is just meh! I don't know why they can't add some variety to that place!?!

You can still have chicken nuggets and hot dogs on the chidren's menu. And for what it's worth my children like variety as well! They enjoy the food at Epcot a heck of a lot more than the MK!

SeaCastle

This is interesting. I always thought Pecos Bill, Perico and the Veranda had a shared kitchen facility.:shrug:

I was also under this impression - can someone please clarify?

Pecos was finished in November of '71, Pirata wasn't added until '73 and has its own small kitchen.

Veranda had its kitchen sealed off in '94 and can no longer prepare meals. I don't believe it shared a kitchen with the Horseshoe, though I could be wrong. From what I hear, the sealed off portion of Veranda's kitchen may have gone to the Liberty Tree Tavern, but I'm not completely sure.

Attachments

• advl.jpg
    advl.jpg
    378.9 KB · Views: 44

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom