Pirates refurb dates released

dweezil78

While I was happy for the scene to be changed I am very confused by the new scenes focus on chickens and their egg laying capacities. Is there anyone other than the chicken farmer demographic who would find that funny?
I really had more faith in imagineering's ability to create something witty and sympathetic with the rest of the attraction.

I'm guessing it's because there have always been chickens in that scene and the one following and this attempts to give some explanation as to why they are all there running amok. Again, not the most brilliant gag ever, but it does connect back to what's going on elsewhere.

dweezil78

Disney and More had a great point about the new scene today that I overlooked... Just W.T.F. is up with that grandfather clock?! It really does look wayyyy to modern and out of place.

http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2018/03/a-closer-look-at-wdw-pirates-of.html

po%2B3.jpg

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
1997 is more accurate.

I can agree with you partially. The changes in 1997 were pretty minor - having some women chase the pirates with brooms didn't alter the core spirit of the attraction. The 2006 changes literally rewrote the ride story, completely removing the moral warning at the end and making the whole thing into a where's waldo game for Jack.

JD2000

I can agree with you partially. The changes in 1997 were pretty minor - having some women chase the pirates with brooms didn't alter the core spirit of the attraction. The 2006 changes literally rewrote the ride story, completely removing the moral warning at the end and making the whole thing into a where's waldo game for Jack.
But it did remove the comedic part of that scene. It could have been executed better. Why did they not just continue to have everyone chased, other than the one woman, but give her the pitchfork, with no other changes made. It would have then become a mother hen sort of comedic thing. Otherwise, I completely agree with you.

nevol

Shared on the wdw side of the discussion:
They should have kept the "we want the redhead" dialogue, even in this updated scene. It would have been funny if they were trying to auction off chickens or rum and the pirates were just yelling about wanting the redheaded pirate. She could have snapped back with a witty response, telling them all to shut up. We see a similar dynamic now in fantasmic at disneyland when Jack wants the compass and (whoever the girl is in that scene, (sorry, I don't watch those movies)) yells something like "all you guys are the same" or something along those lines. She is trying to auction off other items, the belligerent pirates are cat calling her, and she snaps back at them and gets them to focus on the auction. This way, more of the original dialogue stays, there is no more bride auction, and we have an opportunity to see the redheaded pirate stick up for herself. The way this scene is playing at wdw it seems to awkwardly force dialogue about uninteresting things. It would be so much more clever and successful to acknowledge that, and my suggestion would do so. The drunken pirates could yell about wanting the redhead, effectively admitting they are bored by chickens and rum. Pirates are still acting like scum, without successfully degrading women. Also, her voice is odd. And if they keep the sassy looking animatronic at disneyland, it needs a completely different voice actor. It should be deeper, and more cool. Not all of that yelling. She was cool and composed before and this new pirate seems like an overzealous high school theater student. Or they could not change it at all, but wow. Not only did they make her not objectified, she's obnoxiously not cool, like the new Jesse fiberglass models.

Very good point too about how the comedic apex of this scene is now gone.
Please keep our redhead animatronic! She is way more iconic than this Brave IRL bull!

mickEblu

Shared on the wdw side of the discussion:
They should have kept the "we want the redhead" dialogue, even in this updated scene. It would have been funny if they were trying to auction off chickens or rum and the pirates were just yelling about wanting the redheaded pirate. She could have snapped back with a witty response, telling them all to shut up. We see a similar dynamic now in fantasmic at disneyland when Jack wants the compass and (whoever the girl is in that scene, (sorry, I don't watch those movies)) yells something like "all you guys are the same" or something along those lines. She is trying to auction off other items, the belligerent pirates are cat calling her, and she snaps back at them and gets them to focus on the auction. This way, more of the original dialogue stays, there is no more bride auction, and we have an opportunity to see the redheaded pirate stick up for herself. The way this scene is playing at wdw it seems to awkwardly force dialogue about uninteresting things. It would be so much more clever and successful to acknowledge that, and my suggestion would do so. The drunken pirates could yell about wanting the redhead, effectively admitting they are bored by chickens and rum. Pirates are still acting like scum, without successfully degrading women. Also, her voice is odd. And if they keep the sassy looking animatronic at disneyland, it needs a completely different voice actor. It should be deeper, and more cool. Not all of that yelling. She was cool and composed before and this new pirate seems like an overzealous high school theater student. Or they could not change it at all, but wow. Not only did they make her not objectified, she's obnoxiously not cool, like the new Jesse fiberglass models.

Very good point too about how the comedic apex of this scene is now gone.
Please keep our redhead animatronic! She is way more iconic than this Brave IRL bull!

Thank you! Run dont walk to WDI. They could use you.

D.Silentu

While I was happy for the scene to be changed I am very confused by the new scenes focus on chickens and their egg laying capacities. Is there anyone other than the chicken farmer demographic who would find that funny?

I may be overthinking this, but the best I can come up with is it's an attempt at a pun. They're selling a brood of hens, and 'hen' is occasionally used as a slang term for women in a group. I think it's trying to be a sly reference to what used to be there. If that isn't the case, I have no words...

Last edited:

SuddenStorm

I may be overthinking this, but the best I can come up with is it's an attempt at a pun. They're selling a brood of hens, and 'hen' is occasionally used as a slang term for women in a group. I think it's trying to be a sly reference to what used to be there. If that isn't the case, I have no words...

You give them too much credit.

ght

And who's buying the loot? Other pirates? Wouldn't they just steal their own stuff? Or are the townspeople being forced to buy back their stuff? Wouldn't the pirates just take the money and not bother with a sham auction?
This is my biggest problem with it. If they feel the need to change it fine, but at least change it to something that makes sense and is at lease somewhat amusing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom