Pirates refurb dates released

mickEblu

Not Barbossa. This dude. I'm calling it now.
Pirates-of-the-Caribbean-Dead-Men-Tell-No-Tales.jpg

Oh no. Who is that? I’ve seen 2 of the 5 pirates movies - once each.

yensidtlaw1969

Me thinks the DL Redhead look is going to be different as the WDW version looks to be a retread from another AA. DL doesn't have the same AA to use for a retread.

I'm pretty certain the WDW Redhead is almost completely a new figure - even if she uses the same sculpt as a prior character (her face seems to resemble Jane from Tarzan in the Great Movie Ride) they must have certainly cast a new mask for her. Not only does her skin appear to be of a quality similar to other new animatronic masks rather than the old, more rubbery ones from the GMR days, but you wouldn't throw a 30 year old mask on a somewhat prominent new figure and expect it to hold up to different animation.

I suppose it's possible parts of the figure's internal structure were pilfered from other old figures, but you'd never know with the way she moves. Like her or not, she seems pretty current in the world of Animatronics and their capabilities. It seems like the assumption that she's a part-way recycled figure comes from fan conjecture more than anything, unless someone in this thread knows otherwise.

I don't see much reason they couldn't duplicate her for Disneyland, though I hope they do re-evaluate from what they did in WDW. I'm inclined to agree that DLP's figure is the more successful of the new Redheads we've seen yet.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

On my last ride through last week I thought maybe they would try and do a Shanghai-level AA replacement to the skeleton steering the ship...But its such an iconic scene, I hope I'm dead wrong.

However, it would be nice if they could update the rain projection behind him. It's too pixelated.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I'm pretty certain the WDW Redhead is almost completely a new figure - even if she uses the same sculpt as a prior character (her face seems to resemble Jane from Tarzan in the Great Movie Ride) they must have certainly cast a new mask for her. Not only does her skin appear to be of a quality similar to other new animatronic masks rather than the old, more rubbery ones from the GMR days, but you wouldn't throw a 30 year old mask on a somewhat prominent new figure and expect it to hold up to different animation.

I suppose it's possible parts of the figure's internal structure were pilfered from other old figures, but you'd never know with the way she moves. Like her or not, she seems pretty current in the world of Animatronics and their capabilities. It seems like the assumption that she's a part-way recycled figure comes from fan conjecture more than anything, unless someone in this thread knows otherwise.

I don't see much reason they couldn't duplicate her for Disneyland, though I hope they do re-evaluate from what they did in WDW. I'm inclined to agree that DLP's figure is the more successful of the new Redheads we've seen yet.

Her face at WDW being a recycled look is a common thought amongst not just this thread but across Disney forums around the net. So the thought it not mine alone.

Also my point was that my belief is that DLR will be getting their own unique looking face for the RedHead.

yensidtlaw1969

Her face at WDW being a recycled look is a common thought amongst not just this thread but across Disney forums around the net. So the thought it not mine alone.

Also my point was that my belief is that DLR will be getting their own unique looking face for the RedHead.
That's what I meant, I didn't mean to suggest it was just you. The internet fanbase has been quick to jump on the idea that she's recycled and I think it has maybe jumped too quickly.

I do hope that Disneyland gets their own look for the Redhead, I think Florida's doesn't do justice to the original.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
That's what I meant, I didn't mean to suggest it was just you.
Well isolating just my post from a month ago doesn't help.... ;)

The internet fanbase has been quick to jump on the idea that she's recycled and I think it has maybe jumped too quickly.
With there being such a striking similarity between it and the GMR AA I don't think its that much of a jump. Even if the overall face was new but was just cast from the same mold, its still a recycle.

I do hope that Disneyland gets their own look for the Redhead, I think Florida's doesn't do justice to the original.

Well we'll see in about a month or so....

yensidtlaw1969

Well isolating just my post from a month ago doesn't help.... ;)

With there being such a striking similarity between it and the GMR AA I don't think its that much of a jump. Even if the overall face was new but was just cast from the same mold, its still a recycle.

Well we'll see in about a month or so....
Sorry, I ended up in the thread near your post and didn't realize it was quite that old when I was responding to it. I really did mean to address the subject at large rather than point directly toward you.

I do agree it's likely that the new Redhead's face was pulled from the same mold as GMR Jane, but the distinction seemed worth making that Redd is probably not cobbled together from scrap material of leftover animatronics, it feels like that's the idea that's been moving around this and other websites and I don't really buy it, especially when you consider that it was known going in that the scene would be updated on both coasts. It makes much more sense in terms of money and maintenance to streamline the process and just make 2 that match than to try to arrive at a similar looking puzzle from disparate sets of pieces. Though of course it has yet to be seen how she will look at Disneyland. I do hope they play the scene differently there, and the Redhead with it.

dweezil78

I know a lot of people think this is the case, but I'm not buying it... aside from them both being women, they really don't look a whole lot a like to me. The redhead's face seems much fuller whereas Jane is pretty boney looking. Always possible it's just a matter of good makeup making it seem different, but I just don't see it.

pirate.png

Phroobar

I know a lot of people think this is the case, but I'm not buying it... aside from them both being women, they really don't look a whole lot a like to me. The redhead's face seems much fuller whereas Jane is pretty boney looking. Always possible it's just a matter of good makeup making it seem different, but I just don't see it.

View attachment 280510
That picture makes the Red Head look like she is wearing some kind of Phantom of the Opera face mask. The face doesn't match in color.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom