Pirates Officially Open

vfxpro

disneydata said:
Some of the queue floor has been replaced or repainted as well as the unload area. The load docks have been redone and repainted and the ship that sits across from the main dock has been replaced. The upper grotto (the first area in the ride you enter) has changed. There is new rockwork near grotto falls to cover a new catwalk and some type of machinery above. Not sure what it is yet since it's just the catwalk and a metal wire box. The skull and crossbones no longer plays the safety information and just moves its' mouth. Most of the cannons are now working on the Wicked Wench. A lot of the treasure in the well scene has been removed (probably for placement of the new AA's). All the turntables are working in the chase scene.

New boats, new belts and rollers, some lighting changes, and a few minor costume changes round out the ride changes. There is also a nice "clean" smell that I have NEVER smelled in that building. It's refreshing.

I went on Sunday and noticed that the Parrot that normally sits out front has been removed. A CM told me that the day after Easter POTC goes back into rehab.

vfxpro

disneytati said:
Sorry, but I've been away for a while... Do you know details about the new effects and AAs??

I was told by a few people at WDI that the skeleton steering the ship at the beginning of the attraction will turn his head and 'appear' to look human and say "Dead Men DO Tell Tales" and then turn back into a skeleton. After the drop a ghost pirate will appear and swing his sword at the boat and disappear. As for the new AAs here is what Screamscape says:

Disney has officially confirmed that they will be adding new figures of Captain Jack Sparrow and his nemesis Captain Barbossa to the storyline of the world famous Pirates of the Caribbean ride, in a “race to be the first to claim a cache of plundered treasure.” The new figures will be integrated into several of the ride’s famous scenes and interacting with some of your favorite classic figures from the past. The ghostly Davy Jones character from the upcoming sequel opening this summer will also make a guest appearance as well as a slew of all new special effects to be added throughout. The upgrade to the rides will happen to both the Disneyland and Walt Disney World versions of the ride, with both scheduled to close down in March and open just in time for the premier of the new film. Disneyland’s ride will reopen on June 24th while the Disney World version wont open until July 7th, the same day as the new film: Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest.

disneytati

vfxpro said:
I was told by a few people at WDI that the skeleton steering the ship at the beginning of the attraction will turn his head and 'appear' to look human and say "Dead Men DO Tell Tales" and then turn back into a skeleton. After the drop a ghost pirate will appear and swing his sword at the boat and disappear. As for the new AAs here is what Screamscape says:

Disney has officially confirmed that they will be adding new figures of Captain Jack Sparrow and his nemesis Captain Barbossa to the storyline of the world famous Pirates of the Caribbean ride, in a “race to be the first to claim a cache of plundered treasure.” The new figures will be integrated into several of the ride’s famous scenes and interacting with some of your favorite classic figures from the past. The ghostly Davy Jones character from the upcoming sequel opening this summer will also make a guest appearance as well as a slew of all new special effects to be added throughout. The upgrade to the rides will happen to both the Disneyland and Walt Disney World versions of the ride, with both scheduled to close down in March and open just in time for the premier of the new film. Disneyland’s ride will reopen on June 24th while the Disney World version wont open until July 7th, the same day as the new film: Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest.

WOW!!! Cool!!!!!! I just can't wait to see that!!!

Thanks for the info, vfxpro!!!

Dizparks

There's something different from Phase 1:

q5xPo6ouQXJj4TwMMVtIXV4+CPOt4P++0300.jpg
Old Dog

dISNEY2006385.jpg
New Dog

Rayray

HauntedPirate said:
Yes, it should be pointed out that the rumors were that Pirates would open for Easter and then close again on May 1 and then re-opening in early July. The rumors have so far been true, so I would expect Pirates to close again on May 1.

Do you really think that Pirates will close again? Would'nt Disney close the attraction in September rather than have a short month of rehab during a busy time? :confused:

Just a thought, a rationale if you will.

Lee

Adventurer
Rayray said:
Would'nt Disney close the attraction in September rather than have a short month of rehab during a busy time? :confused:
No, since this refurb is time-sensitive. They want the new elements to be ready when the movie opens in July.

bassman

why do i have to wait untill september to see 'the world' again, its not fair:cry:
ive got to wait to ride everest,but i am so glad that the full rehab of pirates will be dont by then. it sound awesome, mean not just because they are putting a new entrance, jack sparrowbarbossa and davy jones. but because of some of the cool new effects that will be added, i mean the ghostly pirate lunging at you with his sword, WOW how cool is that gonna look

justducky78

OH MY GOSH!! We arrive April 29 and Pirates will be open then!

We were so bummed when we heard it might be closed during our stay. This make me even more excited to get there...

14 more days! :D

kwhdmd

Alright!

Arriving in Orlando on the 20th, I am so thrilled to be able to ride the original (Fla) version before the changes are made! Look forward to the update, but this trip I will wax nostalgic!

NeedABreak

I don't usualy like the idea of changeing a classic attraction and this is one of the best at WDW but I can see how new effects will really make it great. Can't wait till september.

gibsonc

UK Disney Geek
Does anyone think they will have a soft re-opening or will it just reopen on the 7th? either way I guess i'm going to miss it. I'll be at WDW during May and visiting again just to see pirates isnt really an option when living in the UK. Although I do think Pirates at Disneyland Paris is much bigger and better than the Florida one, even if they don't have plans to add characters from the films.

Buford

brian19862002 said:
There's something different from Phase 1:

q5xPo6ouQXJj4TwMMVtIXV4+CPOt4P++0300.jpg
Old Dog

dISNEY2006385.jpg
New Dog
Or at least new fur? I wonder if it is supposed to model the one in the movie - anyone know what that looks like? :)

FantasmicFan

It sounds quite exciting, I dont really like the idea of them changing a Disney Classic too much either but if they're only updating whats already there and adding some new stuff it can't be all that bad i suppose! I have no idea when Im going back to WDW, possible it could be this December but doesnt look Likely:( But pirates it defiitly my favourite ride!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom