Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest Review Thread

DicksonGR

We got the film out in UK a day early so I have already been.

What can I say. I won't give anything away for those who have yet to see it, but you are in for a ride. It really is a great film for those who liked the first one, and of course, Depp shines again. One thing I will say is that it is perhaps a bit darker than the first installment. A lot more violence and scares ..... but we like that!:lookaroun

Sets up brilliantly for the third as well.

On a side note for those who have seen it .... how cool is the new Walt Disney Pictures bit at the start.:cool:

FutureCEO

the movies is great. i jumped a mile out of my seat for a few times but other than that it was good. Keira kicks ______, literally. Bloom is good. Depp is awesome again. A few humorous moments mixed in the movie "I like to wave at those moment (most opportine) walk by.

my main questions i had at the end where leading up to the next movie.

How do they get jack back?
How did did Barbossa stay alive or come back?

RobVanDam

I for one did not enjoy the movie all that much...

The movie did not accomplish anything except set up the third film... all this movie did is bring in more money, thats all.. which was a very very good business decision on disney's behalf..

I am comparing this movie to that of Empire Strikes Back.. i know you're thinking "what is this kid smoking"... but think about it, Empire ended on such a downhill, this ends on a downhill. They both end with surprise twists..

This saga is starting to look more and more like Star Wars ( some of you may not agree and I apologize).. but think of the character comparisons:

Jack - Han
Will - Luke
Elizabeth - Leia
[ i know Will and Elizabeth are not related, but work with me]

I also did not like the way the Davy Jones character was somewhat just put on us like that.. (again some of you may disagree)

The village seen did nothing except add more humor ( which im glad it did)

and most importantly.. it was confusing.. AT MANY POINTS.

Now I know most of you are going to think that I need to be checked, and that I'm bashing it, and well.. I guess i kind of am. This one seems to have revolved more around the action sequences than actual context of the story. It seems to me that Disney moved this more into the Action genre than the Family Friendly genre.

Again I apologize if i have offended anyone with my opinion, but it is my opinion and I am entitled to it.

bouncingfigment

Here's my one-word review of the movie:

AWESOME!!!

I just got back from the midnight showing, and I just loved it. I have so much more to say, just not the energy to say it. My full review will be posted either Friday evening, or on Monday (traveling this weekend - blech).

I will say that I'm hoping to see the movie tonight...again.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
Original Poster
Just got back from the midnight, OMG :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

Will return tonight, and maybe even tomorrow night!

maelstrom

We just got back from the midnight show and we both thought it was awesome.

Keira really did wonderfully in this film and I was glad to see her get much bigger storyline. Johnny was wonderful, as usual. Orlando is just alright. I'd much rather see Elizabeth end up with Jack. It was nice to see Norrington back as well.

Who caught the foreshadowing the first time they went to the voodoo lady's house? The monkey was running around and came across a pair of boots (looked like someone lying down wearing boots). Twas Barbossa.

And who stayed past the credits and caught the puppy being king of the cannibals? Aww.

GoofyInOhio

Just got back from the Midnight show and I really enjoyed it. Now I'll be honest and say I didn't think it was as good as the first, but that's probably my favorite movie ever.

With that being said, Depp was amazing. There were a ton of twists and turns. Alot of Action.

Can't wait for the third one.

By the way you may want to put Spoilers ahead in this thread.

orangecard

It's good to hear that most of you are enjoying this. I second the call for some spoiler warnings though. I read a couple of things in this thread that I would have preferred to learn while watching the movie. Maybe there should be a review thread with spoilers and one without. If not, please give a little notice if you want to discuss plot details in your post.

I didn't get a chance to catch a midnight showing, but I'm taking a few hours off from work to see the movie this afternoon.

ok, if you really dont want to get things revealed, you shouldnt read too many reviews in the first place. i understand you want to hear what people THINK and not waht HAPPENS but sometimes they end up out there. that having been said...

i liked this movie a lot. more so, when i woke up this morning and thought about it. i disagree, that there wasnt enough story and just more action. this movie has a much more complicated plot than the first. there are so many more twists and yes it does get complicated, but thats the point. its supposed to set up the third movie. and i would like to say, that a lot of people always compare the second movie in a triology to Empire Strikes Back, but most of the time there is some merit to it. the second movie usually follows a movie that wasnt fully intended to have a sequal, so they get a lot more complicated, to end with somewhat of a cliffhanger that sets up the third. we see this in Star Wars, the Matrix... ok im blanking on other examples now but thats not the point!

::SPOILERS::
theres definitely a lot more action in this one. a lot more people die (no one big, really, but the black pearl goes through like 2 whole crews). it was definitely a lot darker. a lot more betrayals, or what seem like betrayals now, they may turn out not to be as much in the 3rd. we see the characters in new lights. jack isnt always completely sure of himself and we see him scared. i also didnt like seeing him pine over elizabeth, i kinda like seeing him as being the rogue "dont need anyone" type, but i guess unrequiteted (sp?) love is going to be a theme for these movies. elizabeth is unsure of things but still very determined. will, is definitely more sure of himself. hes confident and brave.

i thought some parts ran a little too long. the scene with the cannibals was almost unecessary, but definitely entertaining. this may have just been because it was so late last night/this morning.

i hate cliffhanger endings, but i did like the big surprise appearance at the end. i knew he was supposed to be in this movie, but by that point i had completely forgot about him. i thought we were going to see him as part of davy's crew. i did pick up on seeing the boots in the hut, but again, by the end of the movie i had completely forgotten about it. i would imagine that however he was able to come back, is how they plan on bringing jack back. i hope its not some kooky resurection thing, but i guess ill have to wait and see.

the scene after the credits was dissappointing. i think the dog with the keys joke was a little overdone by that point. plus i was hoping for a look at the third movie or something.

all in all, it was great. i probably shouldnt have hyped it up to myself as much as i did, because i pretty much went in expecting the greatest movie ever made. some of the excitement has worn off from the first, but tahts to be expected with any sequel. i really did love this movie though and will probably see it again in theaters. when the third comes out it will definitely be a kick @$$ triology.

orangecard

CommandoDisney, you're right that I could have avoided this thread. I know there is always a chance that you are going to read something in a review that you don't want to know. I wanted to get a feel for what people thought of the midnight shows, and I've read several reviews so far that haven't been quite so specific about certain things that happen in the movie. It's not the end of the world, and I hope I didn't come across as being upset with any of the previous posters. Thanks for the review.

Dizparks

I loved the movie, and can't wait until the third comes out. I thought it was also more violent and graphic than the first one, but that can be a good thing I guess. I also really enjoyed the new Walt Disney Pictures opening.

TiggerBW

I just saw it and loved it! I am annoyed though because I missed the beginning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I bought tickets earlier this morning so I would be sure to see it, then when it was time for the movie, I got caught in traffic due to an accident and missed the beginning! When I finally got in,

(SPOILERS)
Elizabeth was behind bars, and Bootstrap Bill was telling Jack his fate giving him the black spot.

WHAT DID I MISS! It doesn't quite make sense without the beginning!!!

Thanks! :wave:
I know I'll just have to see it again. :)

orangecard

Ok, I just got back from seeing the movie. It completely lived up to my expectations, and it's the first movie I've seen this year that I will probably try to see again during its run in theaters. I thought it had some pacing problems, and it felt like a 2 1/2 hour movie, but I didn't really mind. The action scenes were imaginative, the special effects were impressive, and there was enough character development to keep it from feeling like more of the same.

SPOIILER

Don't read this if you haven't seen the movie. I'm a little unclear about why Jack didn't want Will to destroy the heart when he opened the chest. I think that it was explained, but I missed something. The only thing I can figure is that Jack wanted to be able to control Davy Jones without killing him. Any thoughts?

MnDisneyFan

We just saw it. All I can say is WOW. We saw it on a 80 foot Monster Screen.

It was great. We can't wait for POC3 in May 2007.

:sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::

imagineer boy

Wow, I must say wow. That was brilliant!!!! It surpassed my expectations, and I liked it more than the first one. Before I saw it, one part of me was really excited in anticipation, and the other half of me was worried that it would end up a huge dissapointment like the Matrix sequals, but it did not dissapoint. Johnny Depp is simply fantastic in his return as Jack Sparrow. He not only has more comedic moments, but he also shows more ranges of emotion. I was surprised by how good Orlando Bloom's performance was. He was good, but not too memorable in the last one, but in this one he really shows how much he has matured as an actor. Keira Knightly was as hot as ever as Elizabeth, and does more fun things as well. Jack Davenport gives his character alot more depth. Let my tell you, Davy Jones is one SCARY villain. The special effects and design of him and his crew is down right outstanding. If this movie does not win for best special effects at the oscars, I will become a cannible. Speaking of which, the cannible scene was really hilarious. I loved every minuite of it. The scenes with the Kraken were also horrific and scary and I loved it. Hans Zimmer also does a fantastic job with the score. He manages to keep some of the themes from the last movie while adding some really cool new themes like Davy Jones' and the Kraken's theme. The action, the stunts, the characters, the acting, the writing, the story, it was all perfect. I was worried that the cliff hanger would be something stupid like the one at the end of Matrix Reloaded, but I loved it. Its a perfect end to the movie while not leaving you there hanging.

Now, for the things I didn't like. One thing is that it didn't have enough ride references to my liking. The only real ones were the dog with the keys, scarlet the red head, the dunking mayor, and the firefly effects. There weren't as many phrases, and much to my astonishment, the song from the ride was nowhere to be found. I also kinda wished that there would've been a bigger sea battle between the pearl and the flying dutchman. But that's just me.

Overall Grade: A- A wonderful and worthy sequal to a great film, and by the looks of things, will be a huge box office success. By far the best film of the year, and will most likely stay that way.

So, let's talk oscar nominations. Here's the things I think it SHOULD be nominated for:

Best Actor Johnny Depp
Best Art Direction
Best costume design
Best musical score
Best cinematography
Best sound
Best sound editing
Best Special Effects

manutdfan1

I loved it!!!!!! Not as good as the first but still satisfied me. Maybe all the money they are gonna make from this will help with some new attractions in the parks. I hope it beats spiderman for biggest opening weekend. That would be great. Now i got to ride the ride :).

disneypearl

Wow - I loved it! Depp was terrific! :king: I can't wait to go and see it again (probably tomorrow). It had tons of action and was also very funny. Now to wait until October so I can see the ride. :sohappy: :sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom