News Pirates of the Caribbean closing for refurbishment in February for new auction scene

Disney4family

She's why those tacky "You had me at Merlot!" t-shirts exist. Or any of those "lol, mom's an alcoholic!" gifts you see in the mall, really.
1522183618505.png

999th Happy Haunt

The scene looks fine, in fact it’s look blends perfectly with the look of the ride. But oh my god the writing is terrible. If they changed the voices and some of the dialog the scene would be 10 times better. The auctioneer’s new voice just doesn’t feel right. And they definitely could have kept “We wants the redhead” somewhere in there.

Hattieboxghost110

The scene looks fine, in fact it’s look blends perfectly with the look of the ride. But oh my god the writing is terrible. If they changed the voices and some of the dialog the scene would be 10 times better. The auctioneer’s new voice just doesn’t feel right. And they definitely could have kept “We wants the redhead” somewhere in there.

Niiiiceee avatar.

I'm praying to the Disney Gods that Disneyland's version is not a carbon copy of WDW, but has the red head from Paris, has a different voice actress & keeps at least some good of ole' Paul Frees. How hopeful am I? Not much.

Incomudro

I think if they're going to add "girl pirates" they should be just as rowdy as the "boy pirates", basically everyone should live up to the "Yo ho Pirate's Life for Me" theme song ...just to keep the whole thing being cohesive, how they specifically go about it doesn't matter to me, as long as it's funny and entertaining .

But the "Pirates want booze" joke is else where in the ride and all over the movies. I feel like they're going to do a "new scene" they could have come up with a new gag, and if they're holding on to some aspect of the original dialogue... why the chicken lines? is that something anybody really cared about?

Well, that's the problem.
Trying to hold onto something, while trying to rework it at the same time.
It's a patch job and it fails.
I would have found it far better to start from scratch - perhaps making the Redhead a female pirate though - and reimagining a whole new scene.

SoupBone

I finally rode it a few times last week, and I could barely hear the audio. It didn't sound very loud for some reason. So I substituted yelling "We wants the redhead!" for Disney's audio and got a few laughs from fellow boat riders. A few of the other rides, others were yelling the same thing. I think it's just become the way to protest the changes, though mine was mainly poor audio.

Fable McCloud

I agree 100% with this whole post. I think all the pirates yelling "we wants the rum," and 1 saying "We wants the Redhead" would have been funny and would have kept the classic line in the ride. Plus, it would have still reminded us that pirates are sassy.

Admittedly, I do think because her new animatronic is so fluid and updated it makes some of the other older animatronics look a bit too static and stiff.

I just saw in a Facebook group that Disney took out the mermaid skeleton at the beginning of the ride in Orlando as well. Can anyone else confirm this?

aladdin2007

Rode this today, while the new scene isn't that bad in appearance its still off somehow, just not the same without the original script.
What really took me by surprise or annoyed me was right before the drop, on the left side you can now see the exit door that goes outside, its literally right there with all the bright sun coming through under the door...since when?? that was never noticeable before nor should it be...and did they remove the dead men tell no tales audio?

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC Member
Premium Member
Rode this today, while the new scene isn't that bad in appearance its still off somehow, just not the same without the original script.
What really took me by surprise or annoyed me was right before the drop, on the left side you can now see the exit door that goes outside, its literally right there with all the bright sun coming through under the door...since when?? that was never noticeable before nor should it be...and did they remove the dead men tell no tales audio?

I would hope not. That's essential.

Sonconato

IMO (including my family), the replacement scene, at least the story line, is nowhere near as good as the old one, so all of these changes continue to diminish the typical characteristics of what many perceive as “Pirates”. But at least the quality of the apparel matches the quality of the ride.
IMG_4147.JPG

Goofyernmost

Reality check: In fairness it is to those of us that have been seeing the auction scene for years, to the newbie it is just fine and life will go on. Not everyone knows what it was like before the change and to them this will be, like it was for the rest of us, just another comical scene in a detail packed boat ride. What we can do is live with the personal satisfaction that we got to see it and these poor 'new' chumps never did. That makes us the best, doesn't it?? :)

That, and other, exit lights have been there forever and is visible on all dark rides for the sake of safety. Fantasy is fine, but, reality says they do what they can to keep injuries down to a minimum in the event of an emergency.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom