Pirates 3 Discussion Thread *Where You Can Talk About The Movie After You See It*

dxwwf3

I was the only one in my theater that seemed to know what was going on when the attraction audio kicked in. Awesome moment.

You know, I really did like the first two movies A LOT, but I can honestly say this one has me eager to see it a second time much more than either Pearl or Chest. I'm sitting here thinking about when I'll be able to catch it again :)

disneypearl

And right before they go over, Barbosa gives the line from the skull "These might be the last friendly words you hear."

AWESOME

I LOVED that part! I was so glad to hear Barbosa say that and then hear the audio from the ride. I almost felt like I was on the ride with them. I felt like I should raise my arms and feel the spray of the water. :)

sarahwiggles99

Alrighty just got back fromthe 10pm showing. one word. ABSOLUTLYFRICKENLYAWESOMELYAWESOME. yes. best of the triology. well now on the the specifics. i loved how the movie had a great balance of emotions and also a good balance of funny vs. serious action things. the jack sparrow hallusination guys were so funny. i loved all of the ship scenes where the black pearl was in the ice and in the galaxy type place. loved all of the fight scenes. and the upside down sunrise thing made me finally understand why the crocidile machine :) always came out of the water. there was alot of questions answered in the movie which i liked too. but i didn't like that norrington was killed. that was soooo not cool. he was like the nice bad guy. anyway. i kind of liked the ending after the credits. except i'm trying to figure out when little william turner was conceived. any thoughts? i liked how throughtout the 3 movies Elizabeth went from being the governors daughter to the king of the pirate lords. The soundtrack for the movie really made everything come together for me. Hans Zimmer is such a fantastic composer. I too noticed the attraction clips which was awesome. none of my friends new what it was.

i totally want one of those rock-crabs as a pet.:sohappy:

overall great movie.:D :D

haveyoumetmark

I thought it was a great movie. Like dxwwf3, I will have to see it again too. I saw the first one seven times. A few times with subtitles. I loved King Kong too! Anyway, the people I was with were rather grumpy and they shot out of their seats as soon as the theme kicked in and the credits started rolling. I knew there was going to be something at the end, because there was in Dead Man's Chest. I thought this one was a lot more comedic than the previous two. I think numbers will drop next week and the main reason people will not go see this movie is because of it's length. I thought it was perfect, although there were some lengthy parts they could've cut shorter (Hey DVD Extras :lookaroun), but all in all I thought the movie was brilliant. I love how people can't sit through anything that's more than two hours long without busting out their cell phones to check the time. I forgot what I was going to write next....

Well, I guess that concludes my post.

Final sentiments: Brilliant ending and I love me some Keira Knightly! :lookaroun

:lol:

EDIT: OH, I also caught the ride audio. I thought it was hysterical, just like Jack the monkey (Jack the Captain was pretty entertaining too :lol:).

Amber

6+4+3=2
Premium Member
I'm going tomorrow, if I'm not ill like today. I'm watching the first two right now. I'm at the part in The Curse of the Black Pearl where Cpt. Jack Sparrow and Will Turner have a sword fight in the craftsman shed. :)

Time to un-pause it. :D

You cheated!
Pirate! :lol:

One of my favorite moments was when the Pearl is going down the waterfall into Davy Jones' Locker and the picture goes black. Then your hear sounds from the PotC attraction!! I almost died! :ROFLOL: Sadly, I don't think many people in the theater I was in got that reference.

We got it and were cracking up. No one else seemed to get it.

This is by far my favorite one of the trilogy. Anyone else stay til after the credits and see the extra scene?

Yep. :)

How about the dog running up with the keys and the wooden eye guy "How'd you..?" :lol:

haveyoumetmark

You cheated!
Pirate! :lol:

Yep, that's me.

Now that we got that out of the way and my piracy was discovered, I must say that I have never been a pirate fanatic until this morning at 1 AM when the best movie I've seen in theaters for a long time ended. Could have been the ride references, amazing action scenes, or the stunning Miss Swann.:D

DisneyDefenders

Can someone help me put the pieces together with the Tia Dalma thing?

My bf actually caught onto this the first time we saw "Dead Man's Chest." And when I saw "At World's End" on Monday, I called him up and was like wow...you were sooo right. Tia Dalma is Davy Jones long lost love. And although it never gets said...the Church where the final fight scene takes place in "Dead Man's Chest" is very likely where Davy Jones was stood up by Tia Dalma.

So the reason she can do everything we saw her do in Dead Man's Chest (like bring Barbosa back from the dead) is because she is really the godess of the sea...Calypso. Because Davy Jones loves her, he knows everything about her...including her weakness. So he tells the Pirate Brotherhood how to trap her in human skin, turning her into the character we come to know as Tia Dalma.

Barbosa releases her and that's what causes the maelstorm, which the makers of the movie brought to life in the most stunning visual effects sequence I've seen in a long time on the big screen.

Hope that clears some stuff up.

DisneyDefenders

My Full Review

A little late, but I ended up seeing the movie a second time at 11 PM tonight.

The movie begins with pirates, those associated with pirates, and those who have thought of associating with pirates being hung. I think this was the best way to begin the movie, because it set the stage and the stakes for what would take place throughout the film...the EITC (East India Trading Company) is out to exterminate all pirates...so it's fight or meet the end of the pirate world.

The journey to save Jack from Davey Jone's Locker was truly one of the most creative and well conceived ideas for a film I've ever seen come to life on screen. The whole "up is down" concept was brilliant and shows that every detail was meticulously thought out and planned...which brings me to my next point.

The ONLY complaint I have heard, and people MUST find something to complain about...is the length of the movie. This is the same complaint I heard from people who saw "Curse Of The Black Pearl" and "Dead Man's Chest" who couldn't find anything else to complain about. These people say that there are some scenes that drag and could be cut out of the movie. I was able to enjoy the film a second time tonight, and analyzed each scene to see if in fact any of them could be removed from the movie...but if you think about it...they all accomplish something very important to the plot of the movie, and they're all well written and executed...so I can't imagine what anyone would cut out of a movie like this that gives you so much in the time you spend enjoying the adventure. And in all honesty, those people who take out their wireless phones to look at the time, have to put them down nearly right away, because just when the movie takes a moment to develop the plot, it thrusts you right back into a jaw dropping action sequence.

Where Jack Sparrow was the character who shone the most in "Curse Of The Black Pearl" and "Dead Man's Chest," this is not true in "At World's End." Elizabeth Swann/Turner and Will Turner have grown SOOO much! I was absolutely thrilling to see them completely draw you into their characters throughout this movie, leading up to the climax that caught everyone by surprise. I also think that Captain Barbosa proved what a crazy and fun pirate character he is...and of course all of the other actors also played their most convincing roles in "At World's End."

All in all, "Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End" is a fitting end to the Pirates trilogy (if it really is the end), and it takes everything that we have all come to love the Pirates movies for and multiplies it exponentially from beginning to the very moment it comes to an end.

Disneyfanman

Finally a summer movie that exceeded my expectations! My family is a group of movie buff dorks, and we saw Spidey and Shrek on opening weekend. We didn't really like either of them (generally we thought Spiderman was OK, and Shrek was awful). Then we got tickets for the 8:30 show last night. Then we saw a couple of terrible reviews and got sick. I mean, are there any good movies this summer? Then my wife, and me, and my three school age kids (with school tomorrow) went with somewhat lowered expectations. And we were BLOWN AWAY!

Is it too long? Probably. Is it confusing in the middle? Sure. None of that matters though. It's entertaining in the way that the first one was, and the time just whoooshes by. We all loved it........period. The ride reference is a GAS, and surprised us when it showed up. The whole calypso thing. It was just great!

Yahoo had it rated C+ by reviewers and A- by viewers. I can understand that because it sure isn't great art. Just great entertainment. The total popcorn movie, and I will keep going to see them as long as Disney keeps up the fun and JD remains in his Jack Sparrow role. He is a scream.

My 20 year old son, as we left the theater at 11:45 PM, said very nicely...." C+ my A**!" I think that says it all!

Go see it. You won't be disappointed.

imagineer99

I just can't fathom how anybody could actually *like* the last two pirates movies.

Granted, I love the first and as a huge Disney Fan, I adore the theme park ride. But, these last two movies are the quintessential way NOT to make a movie. They're long, boring, and unnecessarily dense. A good adventure script sets up the stakes and gives the audience a clear goal to root for (the prime example is something like Raiders of the Lost Ark). Here, I was just wasn't interested in any of it.

You could have easily cut out an hour of this movie. It's not like anybody could actually follow the plot. Characters swapped allegiances, pretended to swap allegiances, pretended to pretend to swap allegiances. It was like a bad joke that nobody could follow. Plus, there were tons of unanswered questions (uh..why was the Kraken dead?), elements that broke the movie's own stupid logic, and Ken Wantanabe in his most useless role yet! And, for an action/adventure movie...where was the ACTION? The only decent segment in the entire thing is the final climactic battle. The lead in was one boring and confusing exchange after another.

I'm sure if watched the whole thing again, I might understand more. But, you know what, if the script isn't compelling the first time around, I'm just not interested in subjecting myself to the pain.

Two enthusiastic thumbs DOWN. Boo to bad filmmaking and storytelling!

imagineer99

I think Peter Travers's Rolling Stone review puts it best

The good news first: Keith Richards totally rocks it playing pirate daddy to Johnny Depp's Capt. Jack Sparrow. The deep rumble of his voice and those hooded eyes that narrowly open like the creaky gates of hell make him what the rest of this three-peat is not: authentically scary. It's fun to see Richards swagger, even sitting down. Watch him stage a macabre reunion for Jack and his dear old mum. Don't worry, I won't reveal her secret.

So what's the bad news? Richards is onscreen for barely two minutes. The rest of At World's End left me at wit's end wading through nearly three hours of punishing exposition, endless blather (pirates take meetings -- who knew?), an overload of digital effects and shameless setups for Pirates 4. I ask you people: Even if you like Depp (and who doesn't?), do you understand one bloody thing that's going on in this Pirates trilogy? The problem, I think, is that director Gore Verbinski and screenwriters Ted Elliot and Terry Rossio focus on Will Turner, played by the aggressively bland Orlando Bloom, and his quest to find a personality. Kidding. Will wants to rescue his father (Stellan Skarsgard) from the tentacles of Davy Jones, a talking CGI fish with the luck to be voiced by the great Bill Nighy. Will still can't find the balls to make a move on Elizabeth Swann (Keira Knightley, working her skinny butt off trying to get a rise out of this putz), who spends her time trying to get Chow Yun-Fat, as the pirate lord of Singapore, to help save Jack. Confused? You should be, since Jack (why doesn't someone just tell him he's gay?) was swallowed whole by the Kraken in Pirates 2, but he steps lively here. He's trapped in Davy Jones' Locker, which resembles a hallucination out of Being John Malkovich, with multiple Jacks jabbering at each other.

I applaud the Oscar nomination Depp received for the first Pirates, but the third chapter proves that there can indeed be too much of a good thing. Pirates 3 raises everything from the dead, except inspiration. A huge set piece in which a pirate ship pulls a Poseidon and turns upside down must have cost millions and still looks tacky. And until a wow of a climactic sea battle, the story plods along like a PBS special on the founding pirate fathers. Happily, Geoffrey Rush (absent from Pirates 2) encores his "arrghs" as Barbossa and shows how nostril-flaring acting should be done. This dude can steal scenes from a monkey, and does. At least Rush and Depp capture the pirate ethos that a lost boy can get older but stay immature forever. I haven't mentioned the heart cut out of Davy's chest. No reason. I just don't care. Being buried in an avalanche of cliches and incoherence will do that to a guy. Producer Jerry Bruckheimer does deserve a shoutout: It takes a kind of genius to sucker audiences into repeatedly buying the same party tricks. Know what? There really is no legit way to review Pirates 3. It's not a movie at all, it's a business proposition.

MichelleBelle

I actually like spoilers, and I'm dying to know what happens...

Do Will and Elizabeth end up together? I know from reading this thread what happens to them individually, but do they stay together?

I'm bummed about Norrington, I love him. Oh well, someone had to go I guess.

Buried20KLeague

I just can't fathom how anybody could actually *like* the last two pirates movies.

Granted, I love the first and as a huge Disney Fan, I adore the theme park ride. But, these last two movies are the quintessential way NOT to make a movie. They're long, boring, and unnecessarily dense. A good adventure script sets up the stakes and gives the audience a clear goal to root for (the prime example is something like Raiders of the Lost Ark). Here, I was just wasn't interested in any of it.

You could have easily cut out an hour of this movie. It's not like anybody could actually follow the plot. Characters swapped allegiances, pretended to swap allegiances, pretended to pretend to swap allegiances. It was like a bad joke that nobody could follow. Plus, there were tons of unanswered questions (uh..why was the Kraken dead?), elements that broke the movie's own stupid logic, and Ken Wantanabe in his most useless role yet! And, for an action/adventure movie...where was the ACTION? The only decent segment in the entire thing is the final climactic battle. The lead in was one boring and confusing exchange after another.

I'm sure if watched the whole thing again, I might understand more. But, you know what, if the script isn't compelling the first time around, I'm just not interested in subjecting myself to the pain.

While I don't necessarily feel QUITE as strong as you do about it, overall I tend to see it in a similar light.

And this is coming from someone who DESPERATELY wanted it to be the best movie I've ever seen. Heck, I flew half way across the country to go to the premier for pete's sake.

I thought it was entertaining, and fun at points. Visually stunning. But it did seem like they started throwing in plot twists just for the sake of throwing in plot twists, and anytime you have a 50 ft. woman in a movie I get a little wary.

I felt like I needed a pen & paper to track the different plots. And personally, for me, in an action movie I don't think that is the right way to play it. I walked out of there with a few questions.

Also, while I appreciated the attempt to put the ride reference in, I thought the audio straight from the ride was out of place and not applicable what so ever. I completely didn't understand why it was there. In fact, at the world premier, my wife and I actually thought that maybe it was something they threw in there JUST for the premier because the attraction was literally 50 feet behind us, and it wouldn't be in the regular release of the film. It made no sense. And probably 75% of the people that see it will have no idea what it's doing there either.

Overall, I thought it was an entertaining ride, but I thought objectively (which it seems is sometimes hard for Disney geeks like us to do) that it had its issues.

DisneyDefenders

Where was the action!?! Did we see the same movie!?! :lookaroun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom