Pirates 3 Discussion Thread *Where You Can Talk About The Movie After You See It*

DisneyDefenders

Ride References

Also, while I appreciated the attempt to put the ride reference in, I thought the audio straight from the ride was out of place and not applicable what so ever. I completely didn't understand why it was there. In fact, at the world premier, my wife and I actually thought that maybe it was something they threw in there JUST for the premier because the attraction was literally 50 feet behind us, and it wouldn't be in the regular release of the film. It made no sense. And probably 75% of the people that see it will have no idea what it's doing there either.

The references to the ride aren't there for 75% of the audience...they're there for those of us who love the attraction. Do you think most of the audience understood the reference to the dog holding the keys in the first movie? To those who don't automatically recognize the ride audio, it's a short echo in the abyss that the Black Pearl falls into. Why was that used? To me, as the ride audio echos and dissipates into the distance, it symbolizes our favorite pirate characters falling away from their pirate world and into the unknown that they seek in Davie Jone's Locker.

DisneyDefenders

After the credits...

SPOILER SPOLIER SPOILER

A couple of people have asked in other threads about what happens after the credits...

The Will and Elizabeth story line before the credits with them saying farewell after Will got to spend his 1 day on land before his 10 years aboard the Flying Dutchman. It's implied that Will and Elizabeth make passionate love, and then Elizabeth watches Willd disappear into the green flash at sunset.

After the credits, the scene opens saying "10 years later" and Elizabeth walks towards the beach with her child, which we can assume is little Will Turner conceived on the beach 10 years earlier. The tension builds, as you question whether or not Will may have turned bad as Davey Jones did...but then we see the Flying Dutchman return with Will having a huge smile on his face as he sails his way back to the woman who holds his heart (literally) and his child, who is certain to grow up to be a great blacksmith! :lol:

Buried20KLeague

The references to the ride aren't there for 75% of the audience...they're there for those of us who love the attraction. Do you think most of the audience understood the reference to the dog holding the keys in the first movie? To those who don't automatically recognize the ride audio, it's a short echo in the abyss that the Black Pearl falls into. Why was that used? To me, as the ride audio echos and dissipates into the distance, it symbolizes our favorite pirate characters falling away from their pirate world and into the unknown that they seek in Davie Jone's Locker.

But the dog wasn't out of place, and was in context and made sense. This audio was out of place, and didn't.

I mean, I GUESS I can see the symbolic yada, yada, that you mentioned... But geez. This isn't an art film where that sort of stuff is prevalent. That's an awful big stretch for them to expect us to make if that is indeed the way it was intended for us to take that.

makonyy15

This movie was hands down an amazing amazing movie. I'm dying to see it again, and I loved every twist, turn, jolt, switchback, and flip of the plot. It didn't seem long to me at all and I had so many "Ah-Ha!" moments throughout the movie.

Seeing Davy Jones as a normal pirate instead of a sea-creature was great as well. I had my jaw practically on the floor for the last 45 minutes of the film because it was just that good. The maelstrom scene was one of the best battle scenes I think I've ever seen, and it'll be very hard to top.

I loved the ride references as well as the whole soundtrack to the film, very well done!!

A must see!!

:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

Lightyear

Sorry if this has been discussed. The singing boy at the begining at the gallows was Will and Elizabeths son right?. They sure look alike to me. But that would mean... what? I need to see it again!

makonyy15

Sorry if this has been discussed. The singing boy at the begining at the gallows was Will and Elizabeths son right?. They sure look alike to me. But that would mean... what? I need to see it again!

Interesting outlook, I never thought of it like that! I don't think it can be though because doesn't the officer say it's Lord Beckett's wishes to quickly eliminate pirates during the hanging scene? We know Beckett dies before their son is conceived.

Maybe it's possible though!

radiohost

Original Poster
Interesting outlook, I never thought of it like that! I don't think it can be though because doesn't the officer say it's Lord Beckett's wishes to quickly eliminate pirates during the hanging scene? We know Beckett dies before their son is conceived.

Maybe it's possible though!

It wasnt there son. The camera shows Beckett just before the trap doors are sprung on the gallows as the boy is singing. Beckett has long been dead after the 10 years go by at the very end of the movie when we see there supposed "son". He was conceived on the beach :D before Will leaves.

Radiohost:cool:

Nicole220

Went to the 8 pm showing last night and loved it!! I was a bit confused in the middle, but I'm going again this weekend so that should help. The thing that confused me the most was the whole Tia/ pirate lord story.

Gosh, I don't even know where to start! Jack was as usual very funny in the movie. I loved it when there were a bunch of him! :lol: I loved the Will/ Elizabeth relationship, especially the end. Barbossa was great as usual, and Jack the monkey was too funny, he was a great touch! I wasn't expecting Norrington and the dad to die....that was sad. I don't think Sao Feng fit in the movie. He was introduced, then quickly killed off. He seemed pointless to me. I absolutely loved the ride refrences!! There were two lines by Barbossa that I quickly recognized, and then the ride audio was pretty cool! The whole audience got the reference (they should have, we were a few feet away from DL). The ending really shocked me! Poor Will! The action scenes were simply amazing! Keith Richards was ok, kinda boring. But I loved the part about the mom! :lol: Since it was late and I had school the next day, we didn't get to stay for the scene after the credits, but after reading about it here, I really want to see it!

Hmmmm, this is all I can think of now. I can't wait to see it again, and possibly for a third time!

edit: I finally got a pair of the pirate ears!! I'm so excited! I've wanted them for a year now. :sohappy:
Also, while waiting, I went to a store next door and got 3 Johnny Depp posters!:D :lookaroun

imagineer boy

Okay, I just got back from it, and all I can say is are those nay saying critics on crack?!:lol: ( no offense to those on here who didn't like it though )

It was INCREDIBLE. It completely surpassed my expectations. To put it mildly, DMC pretty much 'met' my expectations but didn't really surpass them like this one did. Johnny Depp is great as always as Captain Jack. Orlando Bloom, Keira Knightly, Geoffry Rush, Bill Nighy, and the rest of the cast were all FANTASTIC. I mean, they were all REALLY on top of their performances this time around. The special effects, as always, were amazing. This film will probably be bringing home the best VFX prize like DMC did last year. The set design was brilliant. Singapour, Shipwreak Cove, and Sao Feng's quarters were amazing and well done. The costumes were also great. Hans Zimmer does it again with an amazing, sweeping, and epic score. Like others have said on here, it didn't feel like it was almost three hours long at all. The pace in this one makes it feel much shorter unlike DMC where the pace was a little slow, and you could tell it was a long movie. Also, I LOVED the ending. It promises, yet it doesn't promise a sequal. I also liked how it was a little bit of a tribute to the beginning of the first movie. Also, this one has the song in it! Hooray! Keith Richards' cameo was also great. I'm pretty sure they dubbed over his voice though, because it certainly didn't sound like him.

There were only a couple things I didn't like. For one thing, I didn't like the multiple Jacks scenes. The first one was kinda funny, but when the other ones appeared, they weren't really funny and it kinda made you feel like you were watching a different movie. Yes, I will agree that the plot was pretty confusing, but it you simply go with the flow and not think about it too much, you'll be fine like I was. One last thing I didn't like was *spoilers, highlight to read* I didn't like the early departures of the Kraken, Norrington, and Sao Feng. I think they could've done more with them.

Overall, I really enjoyed this film. I don't know why its getting some negative reviews, but I think its the best one of the trilogy, and a perfect conclusion ( unless there's a sequal ) to the franchise.

I'd give it an A-

imagineer99

This is explained in the movie by the one character (I believe it's Norrington) who says that in order to control Davy Jone's actions more they made him kill "his pet."

*sigh* This perfectly exemplifies why the pirates sequels are terrible. They're written in a manipulative manner--utilizing trite clichés to redeem lazy writing.

The screenwriters introduce the "meanest and un-killable" monster in the second movie. Then, they kill the creature OFF STAGE in the sequel. That's just bad storytelling. A good script would have had our heroes find a way to defeat the monster in a thrilling and fun fashion. Instead, we get some stupid offhand explanation that feels like just a lame copout.

Gosh, these movies frustrate me. And, their unequivocal success has me weeping for the state of movies.

When Calypso or whatever she was called became 100 feet tall, I just rolled my eyes in disbelief. It's like the writers just threw as much mythology and crap at the screen hoping some of it would stick. It's a horrendous mismatch of too many ideas and not enough good sense to streamline things.

Heck, the "hanging" sequence at the beginning--which had the POTENTIAL to be interesting--ends up as an odd prologue that has NOTHING to do with our central characters.

Even the final battle is ridiculous in some sense. Granted, this is easily the best part of the movie. But, why do we only see two friggin' ships fight one another. Last time I checked, there was an entire armada and an entire squadron of Pirate ships facing on another. I kept asking myself "where is everyone else?"

I've said it once and I'll say it again--when it comes to the Pirates sequels, it seems that critics are the only sane ones. These movies suck.

disneypearl

No, the young boy in the beginning was not Will and Elizabeths son. I am real sure he is the same boy playing both roles. The beginning is showing the boy representing the death of the pirate life. I think he plays the role of their son to show that the pirate life is now alive and well. It just shows that pirates will live on and they will still be able to rule the seas.

Nicole220

Okay, I just got back from it, and all I can say is are those nay saying critics on crack?!:lol: ( no offense to those on here who didn't like it though )

It was INCREDIBLE. It completely surpassed my expectations. To put it mildly, DMC pretty much 'met' my expectations but didn't really surpass them like this one did. Johnny Depp is great as always as Captain Jack. Orlando Bloom, Keira Knightly, Geoffry Rush, Bill Nighy, and the rest of the cast were all FANTASTIC. I mean, they were all REALLY on top of their performances this time around. The special effects, as always, were amazing. This film will probably be bringing home the best VFX prize like DMC did last year. The set design was brilliant. Singapour, Shipwreak Cove, and Sao Feng's quarters were amazing and well done. The costumes were also great. Hans Zimmer does it again with an amazing, sweeping, and epic score. Like others have said on here, it didn't feel like it was almost three hours long at all. The pace in this one makes it feel much shorter unlike DMC where the pace was a little slow, and you could tell it was a long movie. Also, I LOVED the ending. It promises, yet it doesn't promise a sequal. I also liked how it was a little bit of a tribute to the beginning of the first movie. Also, this one has the song in it! Hooray! Keith Richards' cameo was also great. I'm pretty sure they dubbed over his voice though, because it certainly didn't sound like him.

There were only a couple things I didn't like. For one thing, I didn't like the multiple Jacks scenes. The first one was kinda funny, but when the other ones appeared, they weren't really funny and it kinda made you feel like you were watching a different movie. Yes, I will agree that the plot was pretty confusing, but it you simply go with the flow and not think about it too much, you'll be fine like I was. One last thing I didn't like was *spoilers, highlight to read* I didn't like the early departures of the Kraken, Norrington, and Sao Feng. I think they could've done more with them.

Overall, I really enjoyed this film. I don't know why its getting some negative reviews, but I think its the best one of the trilogy, and a perfect conclusion ( unless there's a sequal ) to the franchise.

I'd give it an A-
My mom and I keep saying the same thing! They keep bashing it, they're too picky and hard to please I guess. :rolleyes:

A lot of people at my school went last night and had nothing but good things to say about it, same with all the online reviews I'm reading.

darthjohnny

I think Peter Travers's Rolling Stone review puts it best

First of all, I have no idea why critics and others complain that Keith Richard's part was so short.

People, he's a half-dead Rock 'n' Roller. (And I wonder if he's really just an advanced audio animatronic. There is no way he is still alive. :lol: I saw him in a picture at the Disneyland premiere and it looked like someone was propping him up and he was wearing sunglasses. He looked like Weekend at Bernie's. :lol:)

Keith Richards is not some Shakespearian thespian that is one of the main characters in the story. He was in the movie for pure fun. Nothing more.

I haven't seen the 3rd film yet, but I am dying to see it. But I want to wait until the hype dies down a little. When a movie first comes out, the theaters are packed, and all the stupid people talk or bring their three year olds who don't understand/follow the movie and then are scarred when a montster comes and they yell and scream. I can't enjoy a movie when it's like that.

dxwwf3

The screenwriters introduce the "meanest and un-killable" monster in the second movie. Then, they kill the creature OFF STAGE in the sequel. That's just bad storytelling. A good script would have had our heroes find a way to defeat the monster in a thrilling and fun fashion. Instead, we get some stupid offhand explanation that feels like just a lame copout.

I'm sorry, but I think we had enough of the Kracken in the 2nd film, there was no need whatsoever to have another battle with it. I think you have your own very strong vision of how these films SHOULD have been and that's keeping you from enjoying what is actually on the screen. The same way I think people were disappointed with Spider Man 3. I mean there's really nothing wrong with that because I'm guilty as charged in certain cases. I think that's why I have never understood all the fuss about Caddyshack, Animal House, Million Dollar Baby, and a host of other films. I had my own idea about how these films should be and none of them lived up to that.

And actually I think the two Pirate sequels have a lot in common with Million Dollar Baby in an odd way. In MDB there is one critical scene in the film that is quite far fetched and you either buy or you don't. And if you don't buy that scene (which I didn't at all), then you are not going to be able to enjoy the rest of the film. With POTC 2 and 3, you either buy the way these films were made with the confusing terminology and accents and the constant dealings that are either true or not or you don't buy it.

I'm usually very picky about action movies, but there's something about these movies that work for me. I actually am not a "die hard" fan of the series even if I would consider all 3 to be among my favorites of the action genre. It took a couple of times to really appreciate the first film. And to a lesser extent the sequel as well. But I enjoyed this film immensely right from the opening titles all the way to the credits.

haveyoumetmark

*sigh* This perfectly exemplifies why the pirates sequels are terrible. They're written in a manipulative manner--utilizing trite clichés to redeem lazy writing.

. . .

Lose - Lose Situation if the movie was "too long" as it is.

imagineer boy

I will agree that I was a little dissapointed that they killed off the Kraken so early and quickly since the Kraken attacks were my favourite parts in the last movie. The reason why he might not have been there might've been because of budget/ time constraints. Since the movie is already very long, another Kraken attack would've made it longer. Besides, the death of the Kraken does act as a plot device in which it makes Davy Jones loath Cutler Beckett alot more.

Heck, the "hanging" sequence at the beginning--which had the POTENTIAL to be interesting--ends up as an odd prologue that has NOTHING to do with our central characters.

Yes it does. It shows that Cutler Beckett is hanging pirates and being as merciless as possible to the pirates. It gives a sense to why the pirates are rebelling against him, and shows that he's truly an evil character.

Even the final battle is ridiculous in some sense. Granted, this is easily the best part of the movie. But, why do we only see two friggin' ships fight one another. Last time I checked, there was an entire armada and an entire squadron of Pirate ships facing on another. I kept asking myself "where is everyone else?"

Once again, it could've been budget/ time constraint reasons. Besides, there's already enough action going on the Flying Dutchman and more shots of the other battling ships would add too much confusion.

In my opinion these movies suck.

Ah, that's better.:wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom