Pin Trading

hartj5

Original Poster
My family is interested in the pin trading at WDW. I have already purchased starter pins through the Disney Store. I was thinking about purchasing some cheaper pins on Ebay to trade since some of them can be pretty expensive. How do I know that they are licensed pins and I will be able to trade them in WDW?

Pirate665

The pin will have Disney Pin Trading on the back and the year. You might want to get a pin traders guide too so you don't get taken for a cheap pin when you have the more valuable pin!

>Steve

P.S.: Anyone whose's interested, I still have one complete Ticket pin set left!

sjnichol

take a look at the back of the pin and it should have the disney trademark. Most of the "official" trading pins have the pin trading logo on the back.

Unfortunately, pin trading is not as big as it was a few years ago. My kids and I have a ton of pins, but we have not even taken them our last 2 trips.

loweyan

Also, while they are not normally as cheap as the ones found on Ebay, you can go visit the Outlets stores near disney in the prime one outlets and the Premium outlets. They normally have closeout official pins from 2.99 to 4.99$. Make sure you print out a list of the lanyard pins if that is what you want to search for. Those lists can be found at odpt.com

Enjoy and happy trading!

PeoplemoverTTA

It's great that the Disney Store is starting to sell some pins again. My mom got a set of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (8 pins!) for less than $10 with her coupon. What a deal!

Be careful in DTD by the pin store. The people outside at those tables are not WDW Cast Members, they are usually "professional" CMs, and I've seen them take advantage of people who do not know that these people are out to make a profit. I was in another store and my mom went up to one guy. He wanted 3 pins, plus he wanted her to go inside and buy a LE pin just for one pin!

I don't collect them, my mom and sister do. They buy and trade for pins they like, and they wear many of them to work and such. My sister couldn't go on our trip in October, and I had a blast trading pins for her (I had gotten 2 in a 4-pin set of Chip and Dale with WDW treats, and I was determined to get the other 2 - which I did :sohappy:), and she was excited to see what I brought home. The best part is, if she doesn't like one, trade it next time!

If you use ebay, and you haven't been on there very much before, be sure to check a seller's feedback before bidding.

Good luck and have fun!

Phonedave

My family is interested in the pin trading at WDW. I have already purchased starter pins through the Disney Store. I was thinking about purchasing some cheaper pins on Ebay to trade since some of them can be pretty expensive. How do I know that they are licensed pins and I will be able to trade them in WDW?

"Scrapper" pins may still have the disney logo, copyright, or name on them.

As long as there is a Disney copyright on the back, the CM will trade pins with you, nobody wants to ruin a kids magic by telling them that they got suckered and it's a counterfit.

However ......

Remember, a CM cannot take a pin from you if it's already on their lanyard. If you bought 50 of the same pins for $1 each, guess what, so did 20 other people. There is a good chance they are on a lot of lanyards already.

There are a lot of good deals on eBay, and you can get bulk ligitmate pins cheaper on there, but when you see something like 50 identical pins, with no backs, in a ziploc bag and the acutions says all over it "THESE ARE NOT COUNTERFIT" well then the alarm bells start going off.

-dave

ThinkTink721

We just started trading on our last trip (me & my 3 kids).
We had a few pins to start with.
We met some nice guys at Epcot's World Showcase who actually gave each of our 3 kids 2 pins each because they were just getting started.

We ordered a set of about 14 pins on e-bay for under $30.00.
You should be able to ask the seller if they are licensed.

Our most prized pins so far are:
Cinderella's Royal Table
Walt Disney w/ picture of him on it & the years of his life
Year of a Million Dreams w/ Tink on it (I think we have about 4 or 5 of these in different colors)
Year of a Million Dreams w/ Mickey & Goofy on it

It's really fun to trade!
The only problem we had on our last trip was that our kids started to think they had to trade w/ every CM that we saw w/ a lanyard.
:wave:

New2WDW

It is a lot of fun and also very addicting! :hammer:My wife and kids trade while I just furnish the $. We have been trading now for about 4 years and we are now into collecting Hidden Mickey and Cast Lanyard Pins, which can be found at http://eventservices.disney.go.com/pintrading/index

I have been very careful in looking into EBAY and have never been sold any counterfit pins. Like everyone else said look for the official logo on back. Stay away from Euro, Sedesma and Propins - these are cheaper made pins and are not supposed to be traded. Anyway, you can usually get pins for around $2 to $2.50 per pin unless you win an auction at a lower rate. When you look for pins on Ebay look for Buy Now listings for a "Grab bag Lot", this way you do not have to try and win an auction.

Have fun with it! And from my vantage point Pin Trading is still very much alive and well!

ZapperZ

If you go to dizpins, you'll see that even scrappers have the Disney logo, and other markings that make them appear legitimate. When you do not buy from Disney, you have no guarantee that the pin that you bought is legitimate. That's the bottom line.

If you want to buy from various vendors on e-bay, you need to do a bit of homework online and figure out who is reputable and who isn't. This will require you do a bit of work. There is also a general rule of thumb that I find to be useful. If you buy a sack of pin, and it has a kerosene smell to it, chances are, they are scrappers. I know of many pin collectors who will not trade with you if they smell such a thing. Go to a Disney pin store, and sniff any of their pins. You'll never smell such a thing.

Pin trading is still quite BIG, especially at WDW. That is why, after a couple of years where there were only one major pin event per year, this year, there will be two pin events, plus all the monthly pin trading nights.

Zz.

Lenbeebe

DVC Member Pins

I'm a DVC Member and was wondering where I can get the member exclusive pins besides the parks. Any help would be awesome!!

wvdisneyfamily

Where is a good online site to buy pins? I need some resort pins. I tried through the Disney site, but they didn't really have anything.

Also, I've always wondered this. I don't have any kids (yet), but I really want to trade pins. Do cast members look at you strange if you are an adult without kids and you want to trade pins? How do you trade pins? Do you just walk up and ask to make a trade? I know that certain cast members only trade with kids. How do you identify them? Sorry for all of the questions, but in all of my trips I've never traded pins or paid attention to anyone trading really. I'd love to start trading though!:)

New2WDW

Where is a good online site to buy pins? I need some resort pins. I tried through the Disney site, but they didn't really have anything.

Also, I've always wondered this. I don't have any kids (yet), but I really want to trade pins. Do cast members look at you strange if you are an adult without kids and you want to trade pins? How do you trade pins? Do you just walk up and ask to make a trade? I know that certain cast members only trade with kids. How do you identify them? Sorry for all of the questions, but in all of my trips I've never traded pins or paid attention to anyone trading really. I'd love to start trading though!:)

It is fine for adults to trade with CM's and I believe the Green Lanyard is the color that can only be traded with Kids. Take a look at this site http://eventservices.disney.go.com/pintrading/index if you have not already and you can get an idea of the basic rules, etc. It is a lot of fun to trade and seek out certain pins. Look on Ebay for some groups or Lots of pins so you can have plenty for trading. Have fun with it!

PigletIsMyCat

I trade with CM's all the time! It's true, CMs with green lanyards only trade with kids, blue lanyards trade with anyone.

I have a very reputable pin seller on eBay that I have dealt with many, many, many, MANY times lol. If you're looking for traders, his auctions start at 99 cents and he combines shipping for pins won over like a week period as long as you let him know you're still bidding. They are all official Disney pins, no problems ever! PM me if you'd like his eBay name.

ZapperZ

I'm a DVC Member and was wondering where I can get the member exclusive pins besides the parks. Any help would be awesome!!

Other than Dizpins and ebay (and other sites dedicated to pin fans), you can only get DVC pins at Disney theme parks. Please go to the official Disney pin website. Certain Limited Edition DVC pins will be sold via mail beyond a certain date after release if they are still in stock. So you have to call them and then fax a copy of your DVC membership card to purchase such pins. Other open edition DVC pins, you can get via mail almost immediately.

For example, this is an open edition DVC pin:

http://eventservices.disney.go.com/pintrading/pin?id=31220

While this LE DVC pins can only be purchased via mail one month after it is released:

http://eventservices.disney.go.com/pintrading/pin?id=31908

Zz.

cindy'smom

Euro pins?

Are the Eurodisney pins you refer to the same as pins w/the Disneyland Paris logo on the back? Are the DLP pins able to be traded at WDW?

Also had a ? on scrappers: If you have a pin that is shown on the Dizpins scrapper site, but it still has the proper metal color, backstamp & date according to PinPics how do you tell if it's real or not?

Thanks for the help

elcodfish

Dlp

Disney land paris pins are tradable at WDW as long as they have the disney backstamp, the euro pins are cheaper and almost like plastic
http://www.pinpics.com/cgi-bin/pin.cgi?pin=3402&sid=9222.1202220508.v2

As for:
If you have a pin that is shown on the Dizpins scrapper site, but it still has the proper metal color, backstamp & date according to PinPics how do you tell if it's real or not?
Scrappers are COPIES of real pins, some manufacturers in china will keep the casts for the pins adn make cheap copies to sell, Disney is cracking down on this but they are already out there.
You can read more at http://www.dizpins.com/pinventory/scrappers.htm

If you have them in your hand it is much easier to tell than from a picture. Most times the metal will be thinner and if you rub over the top of the pin you can feel the difference where the enamel will not be filled in as much. Also check the back, if the copyright doesn't read the same, or if it is not centered it may be a scrapper.

Every pin released by Disney has the potential of being a scrapper. Once again, no one can guarantee the authenticity of any Disney pin unless it was purchased directly from Disney, but don't worry yourself too much, just be aware. If a pin looks wrong, don't trade for it. I know I have a handful of scappers in my collection, but I like them so I keep them, trade for what you like and it won't matter.

Erica

cindy'smom

Thanks, Erica - that helps!

I'm not a serious collector, just a newbie buying a few starter pins for my daughters to have fun trading w/at the parks w/out problems. Thanks for the info!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom