Pick a Pearl

cassiedoodle

Original Poster
My husband is wanting to take me to Pick a Pearl in Japan in WS this year. I've never done it before, and I was wondering if anyone here has. I'm not very fond of necklaces, but I read that they also have varies ring settings. Does anyone know how much they cost? I'd love to hear your experiences :wave:

Disneydreamer23

I watched alot of people do this and I find many of them just kept the pearl and didnt put them in any thing I was watching I feel like the smaller clams have bigger Pearls .. even thought you think it would be the opposite

MissM

I've done pick a pearl several times now in Japan. It's fun! The whole ceremony is just enjoyable and hey, you get a pearl too!

My largest was my first - 8mm. Since then, I've gotten a range between 6 3/4 - 7 3/4. And, there's a range of colors; more white, more gold, more pink. A few people even get silvery/grey ones. (I really want one of those!)

I've gotten two pendants. One was around $50 for the setting and the other around $30 I think. They have earrings, rings and such too. The prices really range on what you want, if you want silver or gold, etc. I think the cheapest is around $20 and it goes up to probably $100 or so. The pearls are $16 and then the cost of the setting. You don't have to set them if you don't want.

Like I said, I like it and find it fun. :)

edit to add: Here is the blog post I made with the first one I ever got and the setting I put it in.

Tomi-Rocket

Thanks!

Thank you for posting this question, I have never heard of "picking a pearl" and now I want to do it when we go in Sept! :wave:

njDizFan

I've done this 3 times now, and is always a lot of fun. You pick your oyster, then after they open it they do a little celebration and show everyone watching the pearl. I always get "wow, nice pearl, larger than average"(kind of amusing inserting the Japanese accent). They measure it and tell you the color.

I put one on a pendant for my daughter it was like $30.

CamiLyn227

I have done this several times and I loved it! I didn't have my pearls put in a setting there. I waited until I came back home and took them to a local jewelry store to have them made into rings, pendants, and earrings.

Lisalyn

Where in the Japan Pavillion is pick a pearl? I've never seen it but I'd love to do it as a surprise for my daughter and "pick" her some earrings ! LOL

The Andrews

Pick a pearl!

We do the pick a pearl every year and love it! I have even gotten where I buy one for my little girl. This past year my wife got a double pearl oyster that were silverish blue colored ones which are supposed to be rare. It was very exciting. For about $18 extra they mounted them in earrings which look great. For my daughter we have been saving them from year to year to have her something made as a memento of all our trips. You can also pick a pearl at Downtown Disney. Just a word of advice, we have found the ugly smaller oysters usually yield the biggest and most colorful pearls. My brother even got a black one! So anyway good luck on the pickin!

The Andrews

P.S. on the pearl.....

Oh Yeah, For me it was WAY cheaper to atleast let them go ahead and drill it there, and probably cheaper for them to mount it there. My jeweler charged me a pretty penny to drill then mount it when I got home.

cassiedoodle

Original Poster
Thanks for your responses! Having been to WDW dozens of times, my husband and I are focusing on doing things we've never done before. I'm incredibly excited to do this!!

L2DAVI

I also have done the "Pick-A-Pearl" but in DTD. My son picked the ugliest one he could find. We received a 7mm (I believe) Gold pearl which is a rare color. We bought a gold heart shaped cage(the pearl is "floating" not mounted) and a gold chain for my sister seeing it was her b-day present. It was a total of like $180.00 (for the chain, pearl and cage). Since we gave it to her she has been searching to add to her pearl but can't quite match the color. I guess I will have to go down again and get a ring and earrings to make a set for her. LOL! :) My son had a ball picking out the ugly clam too! It was a very cool experience.

sweetpee_1993

I've picked-a-pearl 3 times. I don't remember the sizes, etc. offhand. I know the biggest was on the last trip in November. They played the drum and all because it was supposed to be a really big one. Anywhoo, I have yet to mount any of them. I was told that as long as I keep them in the bag they place them in I can return at a later date on another trip and have it mounted. They do rings, earrings, pendants, pins, etc. Seems like everything I've seen that I sorta liked for a setting was in the $90-$100 range but I have a knack for picking out expensive stuff. LOL! I guess I've never mounted them because, in all honesty, I don't wear a lot of jewelry. What would I wear a pearl anything for? I don't dress up much, either. :shrug:

JillC LI

I had never heard of this either, but I just added it to my list of things I want to do at Disney that I haven't done yet! Thanks for mentioning it.

Goofygirl07

My dad got me a pearl one year when he went alone there and I still have it to this day! I haven't done anything to it and it is still in its orginial packing. I love it!

MissM

One of mine is a two pearl pendant, a very simple little loop with a pearl on each end. The reason I chose that setting was one pearl was very gold in color, the other more white. The difference of the color of the pearls isn't always as realized until you see it compared to other ones but there really is a nice difference in the range of colors. :)

MagicMegan

I did it last month. I got 2 of them, and they were the same size, but slightly different colors. I had wanted earrings if they were the same size, but got a necklace instead because of the color difference. I did not buy a chain though, since we were already paying $30 for the pearls and $20 for the setting.

MagicMegan

251307_10150635405270291_552130290_18977533_4987589_n.jpg

Susan Savia

I've done it for the past four or five years now, on my last day of our vacation. I always get two. They make you the center of attention and I've had some big ones. I have them in the original little plastic zip bag and hopefully one day I'll have a string of them made for a Granddaughter...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom