Pick a Pearl

stratman50th

I should stay and watch some time. Sounds like fun. My daughter collects Kimonos, so we have to go to Japan every trip and get a new one. I've walked by the tank, watched them open the oysters and size the pearls, just have never done it myself.

cynic710

if i remmber i think it was around $17. we did it in 2008 on our honeymoon, my wife decided not to get it in anything and just keep it in her jewelery box. good times though! its a nice little experience, with the whole cleaning technique and what not.

enjoy!:)

OurDailyGruel

I've actually found pearls inside oysters (with black bean sauce) at Chinese dinners TWICE. Unfortunately, these things aren't worth anything and I have no idea what happened to the pearls. It's too bad you can't sell the pearl back to the store when you get it. It's not like an activity where you dive into a shark tank to "pick a pearl."

Blueskyze

I think I'd really like to do this on my upcoming trip! Has anyone else done it recently? Anyone have any info (or pics) on other settings that they have? I think I would like a ring or a necklace. This would make an awesome (and unique!) souvenir.

Tinkerbell 8

I did this for the first time on our last trip and it was a blast! First it was pretty cheap for a real pearl, it was $18 for the pearl, and then I picked out like a $25 pendant. I wore it every day for about 4 months (in the shower, to bed, etc) and it still looked as beautiful as it did when I got it. The only reason I stopped wearing it for the time being was because my sister let me borrow my mothers necklace for my college graduation and I have yet to return it to her. It was a fun experience picking a pearl and I'll most likely do it again on our next vacation. I'll post a picture of the pendant tomorrow.

ddrongowski

We do this every year. We will purchase at least 15 oysters (5 each) and then have them do their thing. We have gotten everything from white, gold, dark blue and dark grey. We usually get quite a few twins (2 pearls from 1 oyster). The smallest we have ever gotten has been 7mm and the largest was 12mm, with the majority 7.5-8mm.
We have them mounted to custom designed settings at our local jeweler. I design what we want and take it to them and they do it up. For example my son has a dark grey 10mm mounted on a chunk of 14K gold that is 3/4" square and is 3/8" thick. The pearl is mounted to a recess sphere on the facing.

In my opinion get 2 oysters minimum.

Oh and it is fun, and well worth the money.

SAMANTHA

We pick pearls everytime we go. My son, daughter and husband always do it. I have so many at home but they enjoy it so much that we get more everytime we go. I will hopefully soon take them to a get put into earings for my daughter.

cassiedoodle

Original Poster
We played Pick a Pearl in Japan on the first day of our trip and we had so much fun! I let my husband pick the clam, but I told him about everyone's advise about picking the smallest and hairiest one. Sure enough, we got a 7.5 silver pearl :D
pearl.jpg

swissamy

Our sons ADORE to pick a pearl each trip. Here are some of my helpful hints!

1. Buy 2 oysters per person - it is so much fun and they spend longer with you when you pick more than one - Much longer!

2. Arrive no later than 8 if Epcot closes at 9. They stop selling tickets for pearls way before the park closes to ensure time to open those sold at the end of the night.

3, If you buy 2 oysters and get very different colored pearls, or different sized pearls that would not look good in a pair mounted, ask to see the extras behind the counter as they often have some they can exchange to make a better match. We have done this for years.

4. Ask the pearl ladies to clear the space in front for you to be in the very front row when it is your turn to have your oysters opened. Often bystanders block this spot to watch but as you are paying for the experience, they will always ask people to move away from the center front for you (if you ask them to). Be firm!

Enjoy!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom