Pic of Splash Mountain lap bars......

rkelly42

It really is to bad that rides have to be changed due to the poor behavior of a few, but in this case it does not take away from the experience of the ride at least in my opinion. I agree with the lap bars in this circumstance if disney deems it necessary to keep people inside the logs and protect itself from dumb lawsuits from dumb people. Just wait till they put the lap bars on PotC, I have seen numerous people standing up on the boats during the ride, havent seen anyone get off the boat but I am sure it has happened.

fosse76

It really is to bad that rides have to be changed due to the poor behavior of a few, but in this case it does not take away from the experience of the ride at least in my opinion. I agree with the lap bars in this circumstance if disney deems it necessary to keep people inside the logs and protect itself from dumb lawsuits from dumb people. Just wait till they put the lap bars on PotC, I have seen numerous people standing up on the boats during the ride, havent seen anyone get off the boat but I am sure it has happened.

Adding a restraint system isn't really changing the ride...especially on a ride like Splash Mountain. I don't see how it reduces the max. capacity of the row from 3 to 2 (for those travelling with small children) since the lap bars aren't individualized. I imagine three can still fit, depending on the size of the people, of course.

Neverland

I don't see how it reduces the max. capacity of the row from 3 to 2 (for those travelling with small children) since the lap bars aren't individualized. I imagine three can still fit, depending on the size of the people, of course.

They sorta are individualized. They've got a hump where each rider sits. I'm not sure if lapsitting is allowed, but my guess would be that it's not.

(That said, I'm sorta glad. A few months back me and two other young adults were crammed into one row on Big Thunder because we were the last guests and there was only one empty row. Granted, it was hilarious, but I'm liking that it's not possible for that to happen to me on Splash (because I have been asked if I wanted to sit 3 to a row with no children). :lol: It took the jaws of life to get us outta there.)

aeroforce101

I noticed this a lot during my trip earlier this month--people who did not speak English (or pretended to not speak English) behaving horribly. And these weren't kids--adults. Maybe I'm being ridiculous, but I think you should learn a little English before traveling to America. I would not go to France without learning a word of French.

it's more of pretending to not know english if you were to throw some expletives their way they would sure understand you...

jlg263

it's more of pretending to not know english if you were to throw some expletives their way they would sure understand you...

This is true. When I worked at Philharmagic people would always try to sit in the middle of the aisle during a full show and when I would approach them to ask them to move all the way down they would look at me like they had no clue what I was saying. Even after explanatory hand gestures they wouldn't budge. Funny how they would understand the word "security" if I had to throw that in though ;)

T-1MILLION

You know what would be nice? If they could finally take that ugly wooden wall by the watermill they added a few years or so back to prevent the kind of thing these lap bars are preventing from happening.

Mansion Butler

I was thinking a bit about this today, and I think I'm going to like this. I know I could let go of the old handle bars on the drop and be just fine, but I can't convince my mind that I can.

Now I won't have a choice!

rkelly42

Adding a restraint system isn't really changing the ride...especially on a ride like Splash Mountain. I don't see how it reduces the max. capacity of the row from 3 to 2 (for those travelling with small children) since the lap bars aren't individualized. I imagine three can still fit, depending on the size of the people, of course.
Sorry I should have explained myself a little better, it is too bad that they have to spend money on something that does not need to be there if people were just a little intelligent. That is money that possibly could be spent elsewhere. I know disney has lots of money and big deal, but still its the point of why they had to add the lap bars.

disneyWX

that shouldn't be a viable option. If you are scared on any other ride, you have to stay on until the ride ends.

Not scared - I had ridden Splash Mountain several times before. In the case of serious illness or pain, I suppose nothing can really be done until the ride ends and one is visibly in need of assistance in the unload area. Terrible thought!

talfonso

As much as just about a large fraction of us dread the misbehaving turismos (including the Brazilian tour groups), that would be a good idea. Can't wait to go to Splash Mtn. to experience it.

erasure fan1

It really doesnt bother me in the least. Do I really think they need it? No, but its not the end of the world either. Its funny I remember reading that the reason they never put restraints on splash was the legality of restraints on a water ride in case of capsizing. I never really thought much of it because it kind of made sense. :lookaroun Oh well.

coffeebean

It has been a couple of years since I was on Splash Mountain. I don't recall what type of restraint device was used when I was on the ride but I can not imagine the ride without some sort of restraint. It has been mentioned in this thread about the hand restraints but I just can not picture what they are. How did people remain in place in the log during the five story drop??? I can not imagine Disney not having some sort of restraints to keep people from falling out of the log during that big drop.

pumpkin7

It has been a couple of years since I was on Splash Mountain. I don't recall what type of restraint device was used when I was on the ride but I can not imagine the ride without some sort of restraint. It has been mentioned in this thread about the hand restraints but I just can not picture what they are. How did people remain in place in the log during the five story drop??? I can not imagine Disney not having some sort of restraints to keep people from falling out of the log during that big drop.

nope, there were no restraints. just the force of gravity holding you in during the drop.

coffeebean

nope, there were no restraints. just the force of gravity holding you in during the drop.
Yikes!!! Gravity you say. The drop is at a 45 degree angle (I just read that) an that is what keeps you in the seat? I guess the Disney engineers made sure it was safe without restraints.

flavious27

Yikes!!! Gravity you say. The drop is at a 45 degree angle (I just read that) an that is what keeps you in the seat? I guess the Disney engineers made sure it was safe without restraints.

Most restraints on rides are only there because of lawyers and to appease guests' worries.

lazyboy97o

The angle of the drop means nothing. The acceleration due to gravity is a constant.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom