News PHOTOS - Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin switch to Mears shuttles for theme park transportation

tirian

Having stayed at S&D a couple of times now, this is really troubling news. While I know this isn't the case, it just keeps driving this feeling of one massive corporation (Marriot) fighting another (Disney) - all at lessening the value for the guests. After some very overpriced drinks at Jock's last night, I think my Disney days may finally be actually coming to an end (even as a new local).
Judging from anecdotal tweets and trip reports, that’s a common opinion from guests returning from WDW right now. Did the company finally hit the price ceiling?

The SD bus situation is another example of squashing the guest experience after decades of setting expectations.

Skywise

Sounds to me like Marriott had a paid agreement with WDW for the bus services but have dropped that for cost cutting measures.
I wonder if Disney offered to negotiate a smaller price or Marriott just stopped it outright and went with Mears directly.
(My gut feel is that Disney wouldn't budge)

Monorail_Red_77

A lot of event transportation been done by Mears in the past across al WDW hotels. I don't necessarily see this as being a problem, and it remains to be seen how long this will be in effect for.
Yes, Disney and Mears have a long standing relationship. Since Magical Express as well as Disney Cruise Line bus service are contracted Mears bus service but with Disney Livery. if you look real close on the sides of the bus it will say operated by Mears Transport. This is in addition to the already mentioned overflow bus service Mears provides to Disney Resorts at peak times. Also, Shades of Green utilize ESCOT Bus Lines service with a Shade of Green Livery. I'm not sure about the Four Seasons, if they also use Mears for their service or not.

Though I will say as a side note, it is really weird to see a Disney Transport bus roaming off property. I saw one once last year. I first thought the poor little fella was lost. LOL. I would also imagine that TransDev / TranStar bus service is hurting pretty bad since the CP CM's are no longer needed to be bussed on property. I wonder with the new CP dorms at Flamingo Crossing, if Disney Transportation will step in the gap there since they will be on property as opposed to the Little Lake Bryant area as it was still on property, technically but barely.

Epcotfan21

Are the inside of the Mears busses similar to the Disney busses? Or are they a standard charter bus and only have rows set up in the 2 + 2 fashion?

We always stay at Swan & Dolphin, so this would be a change for us. Like others have suggested, we would likely just take advantage of the system and walk to Boardwalk or Yacht & Beach and hop on a MK bus from there.

Epcot82Guy

Judging from anecdotal tweets and trip reports, that’s a common opinion from guests returning from WDW right now. Did the company finally hit the price ceiling?

The SD bus situation is another example of squashing the guest experience after decades of setting expectations.

That's a great point. It certainly isn't this bus announcement. It's a lot of little bits stacking on top of each other. (Speaking for me personally - but I had conversations with 3 different friends in the past 10 days who said the same. Them being a combination of locals and DVC members.)

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Are the inside of the Mears busses similar to the Disney busses? Or are they a standard charter bus and only have rows set up in the 2 + 2 fashion?

We always stay at Swan & Dolphin, so this would be a change for us. Like others have suggested, we would likely just take advantage of the system and walk to Boardwalk or Yacht & Beach and hop on a MK bus from there.
There are two types of bus being operated by Mears for the Swan and Dolphin.

One is of the Disney city bus type, and the other is a 2x2 traditional coach.

DSC02629-1.jpg

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

I think from March to July there was a certain amount of appreciation for the parks being open and walk-on rides. Now that is gone, and things are being looked at a lot more critically by visitors.

surfsupdon

Does BoardWalk now have their own bus service--they usually shared with Swan/Dolphin. Or is BW now sharing with Yacht & Beach?

dreamfinder

Absolutely. The value is still there for the S&D, you can get rooms for $160 bucks all in (taxes and fees) for Halloween weekend. If that means I have to walk to a $450 dollar hotel to save some valuable time, then so be it. It's not best situation, and I hope its temporary until the convention business can return but its not the end of the world either.
But assuming these buses are still running regularly and not on a set schedule like off property, doesn't the walk/time to/from BC/YC end up being as much, if not more than extra walking at the parks? (MK with the TTC being an obvious exception here)

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
But assuming these buses are still running regularly and not on a set schedule like off property, doesn't the walk/time to/from BC/YC end up being as much, if not more than extra walking at the parks? (MK with the TTC being an obvious exception here)
I think mainly for MK. If you're at the Swan, its a 5 to 7 minute walk to the Boardwalk bus stop. The other 3 parks, it doesn't really bother me that much that you aren't dropped off at the typical Disney resort stops.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I wouldn’t go that far. The rooms have been refurbished but the resort still has an overall problem with cleanliness. i tried it right after the renovation and wasn’t impressed at all. There is a reason the rooms are cheaper than the Disney resorts. When the swan and dolphin first opened and were being well maintained On the inside the rooms were priced the same as Disney Deluxe Resorts. Now they are always discounted.
I stay at S&D Several times a year. I’ve never had an issue with it being dirty quite the opposite. The rooms are always ready on time and the floors sparkle with the renovations to common Areas and amenities

Kevin_W

There are two types of bus being operated by Mears for the Swan and Dolphin.

One is of the Disney city bus type, and the other is a 2x2 traditional coach.

View attachment 505482
We had the disney bus type today. Getting dropped at ttc with no explanation was a bit odd. Cimg back, I think we'll do Boardwalk. Though getting to ride the monorail is not a huge negative since there was no line.

Triggermv

We had the disney bus type today. Getting dropped at ttc with no explanation was a bit odd. Cimg back, I think we'll do Boardwalk. Though getting to ride the monorail is not a huge negative since there was no line.

Was this at park open or did you go later where there was no wait for the no line?

NelleBelle

I anticipate the boardwalk bus to be a very popular one on rides back from MK.
yeah, I think any of those resorts around Crescent Lake will be popular at the end of the day, especially if the line for boardwalk is long...I'm sure people will just spill on over into BC/YC. However this went down amongst the higher ups, it's always the guest that ends up with the rotten end of the deal. Stinks for the Dolphin/Swan guests, right on down the line.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
yeah, I think any of those resorts around Crescent Lake will be popular at the end of the day, especially if the line for boardwalk is long...I'm sure people will just spill on over into BC/YC. However this went down amongst the higher ups, it's always the guest that ends up with the rotten end of the deal. Stinks for the Dolphin/Swan guests, right on down the line.
If it gets too bad, I can see the drivers and/or a line management CM checking resort IDs... you know, like they used to in days of yore.

TrainsOfDisney

If it gets too bad, I can see the drivers and/or a line management CM checking resort IDs... you know, like they used to in days of yore.
Doubtful it would ever get that popular. I would think most guests would rather take the monorail than walk back from another hotel anyways.

tirian

I think from March to July there was a certain amount of appreciation for the parks being open and walk-on rides. Now that is gone, and things are being looked at a lot more critically by visitors.
Deep down inside, I still have hope the pendulum will swing back to the golden-age standards. Maybe I’m a hopeless optimist. :cool:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom