News PHOTOS - Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin switch to Mears shuttles for theme park transportation

tirian

We had the disney bus type today. Getting dropped at ttc with no explanation was a bit odd. Cimg back, I think we'll do Boardwalk. Though getting to ride the monorail is not a huge negative since there was no line.
This might be an unpopular opinion, but I wish all buses would drop off at the TTC. The trip across the lagoon to the MK is an important part of the experience. But I know between security needs and overall capacity, it just isn’t practical anymore.

RETLAW

I would not be surprised if Disney finds a way to make sure on BoardWalk & Y&B guest are the only ones that can use the busses. Sort of like how Disney doesn't allow non guests to use Storm along Bay.

There was some talk just before Magicbands were released, that resort bus drivers were going to have to scan your Magicbands to confirm you were a resort guest before being able to get on the bus.

TrainsOfDisney

I would not be surprised if Disney finds a way to make sure on BoardWalk & Y&B guest are the only ones that can use the busses. Sort of like how Disney doesn't allow non guests to use Storm along Bay.

There was some talk just before Magicbands were released, that resort bus drivers were going to have to scan your Magicbands to confirm you were a resort guest before being able to get on the bus.
Why would Disney care that much?

If anything they would want to start checking at Disney Springs since that can be a parking loophole. But really... not worth it.

yensidtlaw1969

Judging from anecdotal tweets and trip reports, that’s a common opinion from guests returning from WDW right now. Did the company finally hit the price ceiling?
I think, with the recent (necessary) retraction of many offerings, they accidentally leapt over it.

They were pushing the limit as it was. Then the Pandemic forced them to scale back the guest experience, and pricing stayed the same because there was no point lowering it to incentivize booking. "If only so many guests can come, let them be the ones willing to pay full price!"

What I think they didn't fully expect was for those guests to have such a negative experience - all those little things people forgave losing over the years now weren't there to make up for the elements that HAD to be cut in the name of safety. The guest experience had no cushion.

You were already getting less than you were paying for, less than you used to get for less, but now it's unmistakably clear. AND wait times have bounced back to normal levels? AND there's the (well-mitigated) chance you can get a deadly virus? It's easy to make the call - Hard Pass.

The real question becomes "what steps is Disney planning to take to counter this?" - and if the wounded, almighty dollar has any say about it, my guess is the answer will be "sadly, not enough". I hope I'm wrong.

Sir_Cliff

Why would Disney care that much?

If anything they would want to start checking at Disney Springs since that can be a parking loophole. But really... not worth it.
I would think they would be sensitive to guest complaints at Boardwalk/Y&B about busses becoming even more crowded. Maybe it won't be an issue, but particularly once attendance starts picking up there could be issues if it becomes obvious Swolfin guests are streaming back and forth between the adjoining Disney resort bus stops.

Kevin_W

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I wish all buses would drop off at the TTC. The trip across the lagoon to the MK is an important part of the experience. But I know between security needs and overall capacity, it just isn’t practical anymore.
That's a fair opinion,and with no crowds taking the monorail/ferry is like another ride I think the park.

But leaving the park that way isn't as fun.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Doubtful it would ever get that popular. I would think most guests would rather take the monorail than walk back from another hotel anyways.
Well, five of the posters in this thread brought up the idea, and we're still early in this discussion.

I have a feeling it's already on somebody's "Tips and Tricks" sheet.

Besides, I believe the Epcot monorail is still down. People are staying at the S&D right now.

Last edited:

Triggermv

Lets say that you theoretically get on the first Mears bus picking up 45 minutes prior to park opening that then drops you off at the transportation center on your way to Magic Kingdom, is it realistic with current circumstances to think one might still be able to make it into the park by open? I don't know how long the whole process of the drive, transfer and monorail is like near open right now. I'm curious as I'll be arriving at the Swan and Dolphin this next Friday.

DisneyNittany

100% agree, in theory. I'd much rather get dropped off at the TTC in the morning and ride the Monorail thru the Contemporary and have the views of the SSL and MK. However, reality is, then you're just waiting in long, long lines both to get to MK and to leave (if you're leaving at the end of the day).

Otherwise, I'm with you. I still remember my first time ever going to WDW and even though we were onsite, we went to the TTC so that we could ride the monorail to the park. That was imprinted on me, so it's not only nostalgic, but also more "magical".

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Lets say that you theoretically get on the first Mears bus picking up 45 minutes prior to park opening that then drops you off at the transportation center on your way to Magic Kingdom, is it realistic with current circumstances to think one might still be able to make it into the park by open? I don't know how long the whole process of the drive, transfer and monorail is like near open right now. I'm curious as I'll be arriving at the Swan and Dolphin this next Friday.
Assuming 9am opening of the park, if you are picked up at Swan 8:15 it will go something like:

- Arrive TTC at 8:30am.
- Clear security/temp screening by 8:45am.
- Monorail to MK arrive at 9am.

However, people will have been in the park from around 8:30am.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Assuming 9am opening of the park, if you are picked up at Swan 8:15 it will go something like:

- Arrive TTC at 8:30am.
- Clear security/temp screening by 8:45am.
- Monorail to MK arrive at 9am.

However, people will have been in the park from around 8:30am.
I have to respectfully disagree. We arrived at the TTC at 8:30, and didn't get into the park until almost 10. Lines for both the monorail and boat were hundreds of people long. This was 2 weeks ago, so not sure if it has changed.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I have to respectfully disagree. We arrived at the TTC at 8:30, and didn't get into the park until almost 10. Lines for both the monorail and boat were hundreds of people long. This was 2 weeks ago, so not sure if it has changed.
wow that doesn't seem to match with what we have seen in recent times. Did you see that on more than one day?

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member

wow that doesn't seem to match with what we have seen in recent times. Did you see that on more than one day?

In February 2020 on our departure day, we drove to the MK from Boardwalk and parked. We were there around 9, and the line for Security/Boat/Monorail was at least 45-60 minutes. It was so bad, we just walked over to the Polynesian and took the monorail from there.

NelleBelle

Well, five of the posters in this thread brought up the idea, and we're still early in this discussion.

I have a feeling it's already on somebody's "Tips and Tricks" sheet.

Besides, I believe the Epcot monorail is still down. People are staying at the S&D right now.
Sorry, 😬I brought it up because you know it's already on somebody's "tips & tricks" sheet. I also brought up the issue of the "tip" that gets shared on the boards of taking a ride-share to the Contemporary instead of dropping guests at the TTC where it is supposed to drop them and taking the walkway over. I realize in non-covid times this likely isn't an issue, but with a temp check screening set-up along the way, I'd be concerned it could get backed-up. So for my upcoming trip, I decided to cross the Contemporary off the list and stay at either BC/YC and now have this to potentially contend with. I know someone will respond back with, "lighten up Francis", or some other retort, but this stuff irks me to no end.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
In February 2020 on our departure day, we drove to the MK from Boardwalk and parked. We were there around 9, and the line for Security/Boat/Monorail was at least 45-60 minutes. It was so bad, we just walked over to the Polynesian and took the monorail from there.
Yes definitely pre-close it was an issue. Since the July reopening things have been much quicker.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Sorry, 😬I brought it up because you know it's already on somebody's "tips & tricks" sheet. I also brought up the issue of the "tip" that gets shared on the boards of taking a ride-share to the Contemporary instead of dropping guests at the TTC where it is supposed to drop them and taking the walkway over. I realize in non-covid times this likely isn't an issue, but with a temp check screening set-up along the way, I'd be concerned it could get backed-up. So for my upcoming trip, I decided to cross the Contemporary off the list and stay at either BC/YC and now have this to potentially contend with. I know someone will respond back with, "lighten up Francis", or some other retort, but this stuff irks me to no end.
It's a legitimate gripe -- you pay for and expect certain amenities, including bus transportation to the MK, and you shouldn't have to worry about being crowded out of your ride by a group of people who aren't staying at your hotel.

mgf

It's a legitimate gripe -- you pay for and expect certain amenities, including bus transportation to the MK, and you shouldn't have to worry about being crowded out of your ride by a group of people who aren't staying at your hotel.

Similarly you shouldn't have to be worried about Marriott cutting transportation amenities for a Cat 6 hotel. Both are irksome. Honestly, the walk to Y/B for a bus is kind of a pain. It is further than you'd think. Boardwalk is a little better. I have occasionally taken the BW bus back to snag a pizza on the way to S&D.

Disney and Marriott need to work this out, and I sincerely hope it is a temporary change. S&D draw in a ton of business for Disney and especially help prop up the BW area with conventioneer traffic. I doubt either wants to intentionally tick the other off. Would love to see something on the record from the hotel or from Disney.

Last edited:

Joel

Disney and Marriott need to work this out, and I sincerely hope it is a temporary change. S&D draw in a ton of business for Disney and especially helps prop up the BW area with conventioneers traffic. I doubt either wants to intentionally tick the other off. Would love to see something on the record from the hotel or from Disney.
This feels a lot like when a health insurer and a hospital network get into a contract dispute. I don't really care who's to blame (aka who's being greedier). Just work it out so everybody else doesn't get screwed over.

PhilharMagician

Dealt with this problem many times staying @ SSR with people taking the bus back to SSR and then walking to DS at park closing. Really sucks waiting 1/2 hour or more for standing room only on a bus so people can skirt the system and park for free. Unfortunately not much we could do, but stay somewhere else or deal with it. Not sure that the S&D situation will create an overwhelming problem for BW or YC/BC since it is a bit of a walk. Hopefully this is a temporary change until occupancy increases.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom