News PHOTOS - Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin switch to Mears shuttles for theme park transportation

NelleBelle

Dealt with this problem many times staying @ SSR with people taking the bus back to SSR and then walking to DS at park closing. Really sucks waiting 1/2 hour or more for standing room only on a bus so people can skirt the system and park for free. Unfortunately not much we could do, but stay somewhere else of deal with it. Not sure that the S&D situation will create an overwhelming problem for BW or YC/BC since it is a bit of a walk. Hopefully this is a temporary change until occupancy increases.
Wow! So glad we rented a car when we stayed at SSR! Apparently they didn't mind the "bit of a walk" from SSR to DS. I thought they had buses that went from the parks directly to DS (I know that's not a thing currently)?

mytquinn05

Similarly you shouldn't have to be worried about Marriott cutting transportation amenities for a Cat 6 hotel. Both are irksome. Honestly, the walk to Y/B for a bus is kind of a pain. It is further than you'd think. Boardwalk is a little better. I have occasionally taken the BW bus back to snag a pizza on the way to S&D.

Disney and Marriott need to work this out, and I sincerely hope it is a temporary change. S&D draw in a ton of business for Disney and especially help prop up the BW area with conventioneer traffic. I doubt either wants to intentionally tick the other off. Would love to see something on the record from the hotel or from Disney.
Right?! Sadly, Marriott is known for these types of nickel and dime methods in their partnerships. It is the same brand that introduced envelopes asking you to tip the housekeepers instead of matching competitive pay with brands like Hyatt, Hilton, and Sheraton. They make the weirdest operational cuts that put so much more cost burden onto the guest. SPG brands have plummeted in service and special surprises for rewards members since merging. Marriott cares mostly about business travel and makes incredibly misguided decisions for their leisure market, like this decision.

TrainsOfDisney

Nobody knows that this was Mariott's decision or if it was why they made such a decision correct?

It could be that the bus and boat transportation was one set price, and without the boats running, why continue to pay a high price?

TrainsOfDisney

Dealt with this problem many times staying @ SSR with people taking the bus back to SSR and then walking to DS at park closing. Really sucks waiting 1/2 hour or more for standing room only on a bus so people can skirt the system and park for free. Unfortunately not much we could do, but stay somewhere else or deal with it. Not sure that the S&D situation will create an overwhelming problem for BW or YC/BC since it is a bit of a walk. Hopefully this is a temporary change until occupancy increases.
That sounds like the standard waits and crowding at park close for any resort. You would have most likely waited that long and had standing room only regardless.

If other people riding busses or monorails is going to annoy you, Disney is not going to be your happiest place on earth. Lol

mytquinn05

Nobody knows that this was Mariotts decision or if it was what they made such a decision correct?

It could be that the bus and boat transportation was one set price, and without the boats running, why continue to pay a high price?
True, however, if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...They have a pattern of disregarding their guest's experience to save money, especially at non-corporate owned properties LIKE the Swan and Dolphin. They should continue to pay the higher price BECAUSE of guest experience. Especially when your rate is only 15% lower than last year and you are STILL charging at $30 plus tax/ per night resort fee. Marriott has this habit and it's no wonder why they have lost members in the Bonvoy conversion; saving money at the guest's expense in experience.

TrainsOfDisney

True, however, if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...They have a pattern of disregarding their guest's experience to save money, especially at non-corporate owned properties LIKE the Swan and Dolphin. They should continue to pay the higher price BECAUSE of guest experience. Especially when your rate is only 15% lower than last year and you are STILL charging at $30 plus tax/ per night resort fee. Marriott has this habit and it's no wonder why they have lost members in the Bonvoy conversion; saving money at the guest's expense in experience.
Oh that $30 resort fee is crazy. At least in Vegas when you pay a high resort fee you’re getting the hotel for $25-30 a night lol.

I’m going to guess that Marriott didn’t want to pay Disney and Mears. There’s no reason Friendship boats aren’t running correct?

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
It’s 160 a night and it’s on property, including all taxes and fees. So they should bleed money right now after letting 1100 employees go, your logic is very flawed.

JoeCamel

Right?! Sadly, Marriott is known for these types of nickel and dime methods in their partnerships. It is the same brand that introduced envelopes asking you to tip the housekeepers instead of matching competitive pay with brands like Hyatt, Hilton, and Sheraton. They make the weirdest operational cuts that put so much more cost burden onto the guest. SPG brands have plummeted in service and special surprises for rewards members since merging. Marriott cares mostly about business travel and makes incredibly misguided decisions for their leisure market, like this decision.
They are joining this venture to sell subscriptions to their properties. If I could live at WDW for$3- $4000 a month it would be a consideration for many.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
If you're at the Swolphin and you don't want to be dropped off at the TTC, walk to Beach or Boardwalk and take their bus to MK.

virk4

Similarly you shouldn't have to be worried about Marriott cutting transportation amenities for a Cat 6 hotel. Both are irksome. Honestly, the walk to Y/B for a bus is kind of a pain. It is further than you'd think. Boardwalk is a little better. I have occasionally taken the BW bus back to snag a pizza on the way to S&D.

Disney and Marriott need to work this out, and I sincerely hope it is a temporary change. S&D draw in a ton of business for Disney and especially help prop up the BW area with conventioneer traffic. I doubt either wants to intentionally tick the other off. Would love to see something on the record from the hotel or from Disney.
It's hard to believe this thread is discussing problems in being transported to the parks from some of the best and most expensive properties. From anywhere, we ought to be able to get to any park to be able to enter as early as the park will allow.

virk4

We [did] love the Swan & Dolphin. I knew we were in trouble when they announced the change from Starwood to Marriott.

LastoneOn

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I wish all buses would drop off at the TTC. The trip across the lagoon to the MK is an important part of the experience. But I know between security needs and overall capacity, it just isn’t practical anymore.
Been across and around the lagoon many times and don't consider it part of our MK experience. Choosing which way to go (monorail or ferry) is a matter of weather, crowds, and just general feeling that morning. We like the views from both. When we've been on the bus it was "this is great we don't have to stand in another line at TTC".

I don't think your opinion is wrong, but why not go further and mandate everyone staying onsite has to fly into MCO and use the Magic Bus because "its part of the experience" Does go to show how we all define experience in different ways and the challenge theme parks have in deciding how/what/why etc.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Is that a tip or a trick?
jA2kQwE.gif

TrainsOfDisney

crap.. that is a literal kick in the nuts for those who already paid in advance :mad:
I’d be more concerned with the fewer cm’s and entertainers in the parks. Where the bus drops you off is the least of your worries sadly. (also.... why aren’t the friendship boats operating?)

Edit to add- I’m not saying you shouldn’t care about the bus situation. I’m saying it’s on a long list of customer service issues that are springing up.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom