Photos - Storybook Circus soft opening

Tip Top Club

I'm not really sure why it's an issue that you can see Dumbo from Goofini...can someone explain that to me? You can see Dumbo from the ground, is that a problem? In it's old spot you could see dumbo from the carousel, and maybe even from Snow White's Scary Adventure...

Seriously...Dumbo and Goofini are both performing inside Storybook Circus today, how is that out of theme?

P.S. The Costumes look great, those of you who are complaining specifically about them are looking for something to complain about. There have already been several posts regarding this so I won't go into detail.

The Area is swell. It's not perfect, but nothing is. The restrooms looks great, Dumbo looks great, Lots of great area lighting (it really is a selling point, just wait 'til you see it at night). And we got our train station back, (and it also looks great by the way). AND we got our path back from Tomorrowland.

Honestly folks, there is very little bad here. Enjoy it.

Captain Chaos

I'm not really sure why it's an issue that you can see Dumbo from Goofini...can someone explain that to me? You can see Dumbo from the ground, is that a problem? In it's old spot you could see dumbo from the carousel, and maybe even from Snow White's Scary Adventure...

Seriously...Dumbo and Goofini are both performing inside Storybook Circus today, how is that out of theme?

P.S. The Costumes look great, those of you who are complaining specifically about them are looking for something to complain about. There have already been several posts regarding this so I won't go into detail.

The Area is swell. It's not perfect, but nothing is. The restrooms looks great, Dumbo looks great, Lots of great area lighting (it really is a selling point, just wait 'til you see it at night). And we got our train station back, (and it also looks great by the way). AND we got our path back from Tomorrowland.

Honestly folks, there is very little bad here. Enjoy it.

I think they are talking about the show building, that big green monstrosity that is very visible still... Not the ride itself...

IlikeDW

I wish I had an answer for you. I know there are Disney map PDFs available on random sites online, but I don't know where to get Disney's map PDFs. (Meaning current official PDFs that are available from one place)

Edit: Not too current but this is the best I've got. http://www.wdwinfo.com/maps/index.htm

Same here, about a year old
http://www.themouseforless.com/tripplanning/wdwmaps.shtml

Did some advanced Google search for PDF's on Disney site but came up empty.

Tip Top Club

I think they are talking about the show building, that big green monstrosity that is very visible still... Not the ride itself...

Ahh..okay, well I can see how that would be slightly more obvious but honestly to me...it was a complete non-issue.

I haven't ridden it during the day yet, so it's a good chance my mind will change (my only view was literally at one in the morning the other day) but I rode Goofini twice and Dumbo once, and the green building didn't bother me from either ride.

From tomorrowland however...is a different story. Obviously it looks Disgusting from the speedway and from TTA, some trees would probably fix that though...take the hint WDI, or WDW Landscaping, either one would do.

jt04

I was just looking at this video with a much larger crowd at the train station. You can see them using the area near the side double doors of the station as well as the area between the building and the track beyond the turnstiles.

I also found this picture of one of the back doors open. This appears to just be a utility space, maybe fire related because of the signs next to it.

In this video you can see the north side door open, but I can't make out what is in there.

Finally it appears that there are 5 restrooms in the building, 2 mens, 2 womens and a family restroom which I think would take up most of that building.

I guess it could be possible they will be using that area to facilitate maintenance on the train and possibly the rest of the FLE. And I did notice they were allowing guests on to the platform. The three sets of 'wooden' double doors are extremely curious and appear designed to handle large crowds. So the mystery continues I guess.

The iron accents on the brick work at the front of the station is just over the top and extremely well done. I can't find words to describe how great that looks. Captures that style perfectly (whatever the archtectural term for that style is:shrug: Mid-west turn of the century restroom?:lol:). Just awesome and kudos to the designers. I can't wait for more FLE additions to open! :sohappy:

jt04

Ahh..okay, well I can see how that would be slightly more obvious but honestly to me...it was a complete non-issue.

I haven't ridden it during the day yet, so it's a good chance my mind will change (my only view was literally at one in the morning the other day) but I rode Goofini twice and Dumbo once, and the green building didn't bother me from either ride.

From tomorrowland however...is a different story. Obviously it looks Disgusting from the speedway and from TTA, some trees would probably fix that though...take the hint WDI, or WDW Landscaping, either one would do.

Judging by aerial shots and the way this new buiding intrudes on the speedway I can only conclude the speedway may not be part of any 5 or 10 year plan. If true, I have no problem with how it looks for the time-being. Short term pain for long-term gain.

whylightbulb

So what did/do they think of Birthdayland, CMM, the gutted Back Lot tour, Dinorama, the value resorts....etc etc? Sorry but compared to all those and other examples I definitely see the FLE and Carsland as an improved product.

Now if we see argressive pro-growth, business friendly policies return to our shores that create real robust economic growth then and only then will we see another EPCOT Center-esque project realized.
Well first of all Carsland is not WDW so that does not apply. Disneyland has been doing a much better job at maintaining the Disney Legacy.

As far as what they think of Dinorama and the like - it's just like I said they're mostly disgusted. I haven't talked to many regarding FLE but it does not appear to be a step up from disappointments such as Nemo, Imagination or Stich. The major dark ride for FLE is very much like Nemo with its small footprint and half-hearted scenery. But that's okay as long as they throw in a few decent AAs and some rockwork the fans will go crazy! As long as there are a few pretty trees and topiaries mixed in with some aging scenic exteriors the fans will call it incredibly detailed. If they throw in some seashells in the concrete there will be blog posts about theme park nirvana!

Before anyone asks me, "well what would you do differently smart a__," I'll say just go to DisneySea and you'll have your answer. Ironically enough however, I'm not a huge fan of the Mermaid area at DisneySea LOL. It's certainly a beautiful attraction but I'm more referring to everything else there.

But again to the main point - how does moving a spinner, removing and replacing elements from a kiddy coaster and adding some peanuts in the concrete add anything of significance to the WDW experience?

Tip Top Club

Judging by aerial shots and the way this new buiding intrudes on the speedway I can only conclude the speedway may not be part of any 5 or 10 year plan. If true, I have no problem with how it looks for the time-being. Short term pain for long-term gain.

If This is true, then I agree with you. The loud obnoxious speedway has GOT to go, or at least be re-imagined. Not going into this here though.

jt04

Well first of all Carsland is not WDW so that does not apply. Disneyland has been doing a much better job at maintaining the Disney Legacy.

As far as what they think of Dinorama and the like - it's just like I said they're mostly disgusted. I haven't talked to many regarding FLE but it does not appear to be a step up from disappointments such as Nemo, Imagination or Stich. The major dark ride for FLE is very much like Nemo with its small footprint and half-hearted scenery. But that's okay as long as they throw in a few decent AAs and some rockwork the fans will go crazy! As long as there are a few pretty trees and topiaries mixed in with some aging scenic exteriors the fans will call it incredibly detailed. If they throw in some seashells in the concrete there will be blog posts about theme park nirvana!

Before anyone asks me, "well what would you do differently smart a__," I'll say just go to DisneySea and you'll have your answer. Ironically enough however, I'm not a huge fan of the Mermaid area at DisneySea LOL. It's certainly a beautiful attraction but I'm more referring to everything else there.

But again to the main point - how does moving a spinner, removing and replacing elements from a kiddy coaster and adding some peanuts in the concrete add anything of significance to the WDW experience?

Well it seems appropriate that DL takes the most care to reflect Walt's legacy. I am not sure how much TWDC is free to create references to Walt's life without involving the family. I was pleased and more than a little suprised to see the reference on the train station. I would wager they consulted the family first.

Now, I realize you are also talking about his demand for quality. And I think your obvious over-simplification of what we have seen so far hurts your credibility. The train station is first rate and only about a third of the entire Dumbo attraction has opened so far. The criticisms from the expected cynics around here, when so little has been revealed (yet in a fairly impressive way) only shows that you (and they) only see the glass half empty. I think some credibility has been lost by those claiming this a failure. Just my opinion.

If This is true, then I agree with you. The loud obnoxious speedway has GOT to go, or at least be re-imagined. Not going into this here though.

Fair enough. :cool:

Tom

Beta Return
I was just looking at this video with a much larger crowd at the train station. You can see them using the area near the side double doors of the station as well as the area between the building and the track beyond the turnstiles.

I also found this picture of one of the back doors open. This appears to just be a utility space, maybe fire related because of the signs next to it.

In this video you can see the north side door open, but I can't make out what is in there.

Finally it appears that there are 5 restrooms in the building, 2 mens, 2 womens and a family restroom which I think would take up most of that building.

Can you type out the smugmug photo link? The URL prefix was blanked out by the forum...link doesn't work.

I'd like to see this photo and perhaps determine what's inside there.

Mike730

Can you type out the smugmug photo link? The URL prefix was blanked out by the forum...link doesn't work.

I'd like to see this photo and perhaps determine what's inside there.

http:// w d w n t .smugmug.com/Walt-Disney-World/Jessica-Walker-3912-Storybook/21860759_fRNc3k#!i=1743106547&k=N95NnGH&lb=1&s=A

Just delete the spaces

CrescentLake

HOLY COW!!!!

Would someone please remind me who the (Kiddie Coaster) Barnstormer and (Kiddie) Dumbo ride are geared for? Is it the kids or the adults? I don't think my 8 year old is going to be riding Goofini and complaining because you can see the dumbo ride.

You know I do have to say I find it really tacky that when I ride the teacups I can see the speedway and space mountain.....just completely ruins the magic of riding the tea cups.

You know I was riding the people mover and I saw a wall.....A WALL!!!! Can you believe it???

That is how crazy some of you sound.

I think what has opened so far looks AMAZING!!!! Can't wait to see it in person.

Well somebody had to rant. You okay buddy? Wanna talk about it?

Nobody here is complaining that you can see Dumbo from the Barnstormer. You can see Dumbo's VERY unmagical showbuilding clear as day from it. While, is inexcusable, in my opinion. This is not Six Flags, Disney should have hidden their show building. Therefore your teacups argument is invalid, as is your peoplemover argument.

And as crazy as we sound, nobody freaked out and went on a rant. I think the land looks great too. That showbuilding however, does not.

whylightbulb

Well it seems appropriate that DL takes the most care to reflect Walt's legacy. I am not sure how much TWDC is free to create references to Walt's life without involving the family. I was pleased and more than a little suprised to see the reference on the train station. I would wager they consulted the family first.

Now, I realize you are also talking about his demand for quality. And I think your obvious over-simplification of what we have seen so far hurts your credibility. The train station is first rate and only about a third of the entire Dumbo attraction has opened so far. The criticisms from the expected cynics around here, when so little has been revealed (yet in a fairly impressive way) only shows that you (and they) only see the glass half empty. I think some credibility has been lost by those claiming this a failure. Just my opinion.
I'm not sure what you mean regarding the loss of credibility. We are stating our opinions just as you are. By the way, I don't believe everything WDW does is of poor or substandard quality. Here is a partial list of attractions that I feel meet the Disney standard: Horizons, World of Motion, the original Journey Into Imagination, American Adventure, Cranium Command, Tower Of Terror, Muppetvision, Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Splash Mountain, Tough to Be A Bug, Safari, Star Tours, and Great Movie Ride. You'll notice that there are very few in that list that were introduced after 1996. Some of those attractions are in need of an update but still remain among the best in my opinion. I'd also like to point out I have been a fan of the Haunted Mansion redo even though that is the kind of thing we should be expecting from Disney. You cannot claim that I am always negative. I'm just calling it like I see it.

I believe our major complaint with FLE is its utter lack of anything exciting. I don't know how else to say it. Mermaid is a substandard dark ride just like the examples I used above, BATB will be okay but nothing like it could be (amazing mural notwithstanding), the Snow White coaster looks like it will be pretty and not much else, and the meet and greets will be okay. Once again, it might meet the status quo for what we have come to expect from WDW in the last fifteen years but it doesn't come close to Disney standards as a whole.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I've seen and heard upper management quash good quality projects and/or important show elements using the excuse that "they won't know the difference," and "just look at the comments on the blogs." If that isn't enough to get the point across I don't know what will wake people up. WDW is getting the quality that its audience is demanding. Normal guests don't know any better. It's Disney's job to offer experiences beyond expectations and adventures the average guest would never dream of. My problem is with the fan community that should know better but instead praise Disney when they're just good enough to get a c- or d+. Their acceptance of this is one of the things that empowers Disney to continue manufacturing substandard product.

rioriz

Well somebody had to rant. You okay buddy? Wanna talk about it?

Nobody here is complaining that you can see Dumbo from the Barnstormer. You can see Dumbo's VERY unmagical showbuilding clear as day from it. While, is inexcusable, in my opinion. This is not Six Flags, Disney should have hidden their show building. Therefore your teacups argument is invalid, as is your peoplemover argument.

And as crazy as we sound, nobody freaked out and went on a rant. I think the land looks great too. That showbuilding however, does not.

And in fairness let's also not forgive the masterful WWOHP for it's ugly obtrusive apparent showbuidling also. While we are at it can we talk about how the lift on Dragon's Challenge allows you to see the backstage of both parKs and totally ruins the experince of actually being in Harry's world and not just a normal theme park???!!!

CrescentLake

And in fairness let's also not forgive the masterful WWOHP for it's ugly obtrusive apparent showbuidling also. While we are at it can we talk about how the lift on Dragon's Challenge allows you to see the backstage of both parKs and totally ruins the experince of actually being in Harry's world and not just a normal theme park???!!!

We're talking about Disney, not Universal. And besides, many people have brought up the big ugly showbuilding's at WWOHP. And Univeral's Dragon Challenge is a lightly themed, undisguised set of coasters, the likes of which we don't see at Disney. (Goofini non withstanding.)

But your answer is yes, it does ruin the illusion.

rioriz

I'm not sure what you mean regarding the loss of credibility. We are stating our opinions just as you are. By the way, I don't believe everything WDW does is of poor or substandard quality. Here is a partial list of attractions that I feel meet the Disney standard: Horizons, World of Motion, the original Journey Into Imagination, American Adventure, Cranium Command, Tower Of Terror, Muppetvision, Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Splash Mountain, Tough to Be A Bug, Safari, Star Tours, and Great Movie Ride. You'll notice that there are very few in that list that were introduced after 1996. Some of those attractions are in need of an update but still remain among the best in my opinion. I'd also like to point out I have been a fan of the Haunted Mansion redo even though that is the kind of thing we should be expecting from Disney. You cannot claim that I am always negative. I'm just calling it like I see it.

I believe our major complaint with FLE is its utter lack of anything exciting. I don't know how else to say it. Mermaid is a substandard dark ride just like the examples I used above, BATB will be okay but nothing like it could be (amazing mural notwithstanding), the Snow White coaster looks like it will be pretty and not much else, and the meet and greets will be okay. Once again, it might meet the status quo for what we have come to expect from WDW in the last fifteen years but it doesn't come close to Disney standards as a whole.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I've seen and heard upper management quash good quality projects and/or important show elements using the excuse that "they won't know the difference," and "just look at the comments on the blogs." If that isn't enough to get the point across I don't know what will wake people up. WDW is getting the quality that its audience is demanding. Normal guests don't know any better. It's Disney's job to offer experiences beyond expectations and adventures the average guest would never dream of. My problem is with the fan community that should know better but instead praise Disney when they're just good enough to get a c- or d+. Their acceptance of this is one of the things that empowers Disney to continue manufacturing substandard product.
I think the thing that muddles others from hearing your criticsm objectively is that you DO have insight the inner workings of the company. That therefore makes your opinion biased, and not necessarily in a bad way. It must be frustrating to know what could or should have been and look at what was given. There is a beauty though in ignorance in that you can accept and see things more as they are than what you feel they should be.

The average guest (those on here are not) can be wowed and excited over FLE because to them this is a transportation into a world they do not see in their daily life. It'll be shiny and new! For a little girl, how cool is it to walk in Belle's village and visit her home just like in the movie or for the young boy who loves playing all the games in the Dumbo queue leading up to the ride he sees on every Disney Commercial. Those moments, seen from a child's perspective can be just a magical as a ride on Journey into the Center of the Earth for the adult. It is all about perspective...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom