PHOTOS - Polynesian Resort DVC construction

orky8

Looks like another longhouse or something under construction. @tikiman any ideas? I thought they were just converting the two longhouses and building the bungalows, but this looks to be another building of sorts.

tikiman

Looks like another longhouse or something under construction. @tikiman any ideas? I thought they were just converting the two longhouses and building the bungalows, but this looks to be another building of sorts.

The original plans did not have a building there but there was some utilities that went out to the bungalows around that area. I am not sure if that will stay exposed or be partly buried. We have a bet going on my Facebook about it staying above ground. There is no plans for a longhouse or any rooms there and to be honest none of those walls look like they are being constructed to have any windows of anything. I believe it will house the utilities myself but that is just a guess at this point. I think we will have to wait for more of it to be finished before we know what it might be.

I was told the docks you see out there now were not the docks that people will be walking on but were made to support the utilities out to the bungalows so that is why I believe all this has to do with the work for the utilities.

tl77

The water table blueprints that leaked out last year showed utility buildings and a retaining wall going in this spot, the new Sunset Point is elevated in the center about 6 feet above the walking path to the bungalows as well as these utility buildings

poly-plans_2014_wall-half.jpg

tikiman

The water table blueprints that leaked out last year showed utility buildings and a retaining wall going in this spot, the new Sunset Point is elevated in the center about 6 feet above the walking path to the bungalows as well as these utility buildings

poly-plans_2014_wall-half.jpg

That was my understanding also so I figured this new structure at some point will be burried. Is that what you would expect to see? The structure walls do not even look like somethign you would build above ground, they look like a basement.

tl77

That was my understanding also so I figured this new structure at some point will be burried. Is that what you would expect to see? The structure walls do not even look like somethign you would build above ground, they look like a basement.

The impression I got from the water run off blue prints is that it's not completely underground, but there would a hill behind the utility area and it would probably end up being hidden from view with large plants and landscaping and have an access path in the middle of it which can kind of see in this photo
The-Villas-at-Disneys-Polynesian-Resort_Full_20300.jpg%3Bwidth%3D638

The pile of dirt behind this wall looks like the beginnings of the new Sunset Point area, but the top of the wall is the new elevation for Sunset Point, so it will be about a 6 feet above the ground level in this image, and the ramp leading in from the water will come to a stair case to reach the new Sunset Point observation area.

Here's a high-res image with the original Blueprint superimposed on top to give a better view of the elevation changes

poly-plans_2014half.jpg

tikiman

The impression I got from the water run off blue prints is that it's not completely underground, but there would a hill behind the utility area and it would probably end up being hidden from view with large plants and landscaping and have an access path in the middle of it which can kind of see in this photo
The-Villas-at-Disneys-Polynesian-Resort_Full_20300.jpg%3Bwidth%3D638

The pile of dirt behind this wall looks like the beginnings of the new Sunset Point area, but the top of the wall is the new elevation for Sunset Point, so it will be about a 6 feet above the ground level in this image, and the ramp leading in from the water will come to a stair case to reach the new Sunset Point observation area.

Here's a high-res image with the original Blueprint superimposed on top to give a better view of the elevation changes

poly-plans_2014half.jpg

I can’t see your photobucket pic because it is blocked here at work but I will look at it at home. The concept art for the project seemed to show something similar to what you described. I don’t believe this area will be called anything like it was originally Sunset Pointe but it seemed to have some elevation with many paths, some stairs and some sitting and viewing areas. It also has some planter areas in the middle of some of the paths.

tl77

I can’t see your photobucket pic because it is blocked here at work but I will look at it at home. The concept art for the project seemed to show something similar to what you described. I don’t believe this area will be called anything like it was originally Sunset Pointe but it seemed to have some elevation with many paths, some stairs and some sitting and viewing areas. It also has some planter areas in the middle of some of the paths.

This photobucket pic is from the water survey blueprints filed on July 7th 2013, and in that package there were 2 slightly different versions of the blueprints and no names like "Sunset Point" just technical descriptions. If you've seen concept art that's more recent than last July it may be different that this, but it sounds like we're both describing the same type of thing

tikiman

This photobucket pic is from the water survey blueprints filed on July 7th 2013, and in that package there were 2 slightly different versions of the blueprints and no names like "Sunset Point" just technical descriptions. If you've seen concept art that's more recent than last July it may be different that this, but it sounds like we're both describing the same type of thing

What I saw was older but it seems to coincide with the plans submitted last July. People are speculating it is another longhouse or some other building that will be accessed by the public but I don't get that impression at all. I can almost guarantee it is not a building to house any rooms as some have suggested.

Thanks for your input

djkidkaz

So are they adding only 20 little bungalows out on the water and thats the DVC expansion? That seems like a very small number for the amount of people who will want Poly DVC. It seems similar to the small amount of tree houses they have at Saratoga for DVC. Are we looking at a similar situation here?

alissafalco

So are they adding only 20 little bungalows out on the water and thats the DVC expansion? That seems like a very small number for the amount of people who will want Poly DVC. It seems similar to the small amount of tree houses they have at Saratoga for DVC. Are we looking at a similar situation here?
@tikiman can answer better but i think they are converting 2 of the long houses that already exist into DVC

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I recall the reason they never built the Venetian was that the land was too expensive to develop because of the depth at which they'd have to sink the foundations.

Still, knowing what a money-maker DVC is, I suspect they'd find a way to overcome the cost. :D

P.S. I thought people might like this concept art for the Venetian. For those unfamiliar with it, original plans (as in before even the Magic Kingdom opened) was to build this between the TTC and the Contemporary on the Seven Seas Lagoon.

View attachment 33791

Interesting, Last June there were sight baloons in that same area

tikiman

@alissafalco is right. They are converting Rapa Nui and Tahiti. I was told by those involved with the project that the 20 bungalows will only be grand villas and the two longhouses will be converted to studios. Many DVC experts argue that there is no way they will do that but I can only share the information I am given by those who would know. I was also told one night in the bungalow would cost about as many points as a week in the studio.

wdwfan100

@alissafalco is right. They are converting Rapa Nui and Tahiti. I was told by those involved with the project that the 20 bungalows will only be grand villas and the two longhouses will be converted to studios. Many DVC experts argue that there is no way they will do that but I can only share the information I am given by those who would know. I was also told one night in the bungalow would cost about as many points as a week in the studio.

I am very interested in finding out what the price per point will be. I have always said that if a DVC ever went in at the Poly I would buy in. However, if the points chart is structured in such a way that I need 1000 points ( I am exaggerating to emphasize my point) to stay there, than I will most likely and sadly pass.

Sassagoula-Rvr

I have always been a POFQ dedicated person...but ever since I saw the bungalow rumors...unless they're insane pricing...I will splurge one trip and stay there....maybe. The Poly and Contemporary are really the only two Deluxe resorts I am interested in...Wilderness lodge is cool...but if I'm paying deluxe money...I want the monorail.

JWG

I am very interested in finding out what the price per point will be. I have always said that if a DVC ever went in at the Poly I would buy in. However, if the points chart is structured in such a way that I need 1000 points ( I am exaggerating to emphasize my point) to stay there, than I will most likely and sadly pass.
For a bungalow over the water at the most popular deluxe? I don't know that you are exaggerating (at least not for a week). Based on what a week at BLT and VGF cost, I'm guessing north of 1,000 for a week in a bungalow. The cost per point and # of points per night are escalating at a ridiculous pace.

tikiman

For a bungalow over the water at the most popular deluxe? I don't know that you are exaggerating (at least not for a week). Based on what a week at BLT and VGF cost, I'm guessing north of 1,000 for a week in a bungalow. The cost per point and # of points per night are escalating at a ridiculous pace.

I have to agree. I think the chances of most of us ever staying in a bungalow for even one night are about the same as us staying in one of the suites at the Polynesian now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom