PHOTOS - Polynesian Resort DVC construction

Tom

Beta Return
With the removal of the 3 longhouses it puts the Polynesian back to the room count it was when it opened in 1971 (486). That number includes the 6 suites in Tonga Longhouse.

The plan to convert Tahiti and Rapa Nui that is currently underway is to make them all studios so the room count in those longhouses will remain the same at 217 for the two longhouses. I just found out last week that they decided to convert Tokelau and it seems it was a last minute decision that was not in any of the original plans. They are telling housekeeping for that longhouse that they will be reassigned very soon.

The question now is are they converting Tokelau because they realize the demand for DVC is not going to be supported by the number of rooms they have, or are they converting it because they need a building to make some one bedroom units. Tahiti and Rapa Nui are already underway with the studio design so that is not going to change now. Tokelau could have a design created to support adding one bedroom units. I have no information that says that is what they are doing with Tokelau, it is just a guess on my part. One negative from that plan would be none of the one bedroom units would have a lagoon or Themepark View. If they did take Tokelau and make some or all one bedroom units than that would obviously cut down on the 144 room total that Tokelau has. Maybe make it 72 one bedroom units or even a mix of one bedroom and studios that could be connected to make a 2 bedroom.

I HAVE to assume they've realized their serious laps in judgement, and are putting in some 1-bedrooms. It is absolutely insane to build a DVC resort that didn't have all the standard room configurations.

Maybe I misunderstood. I thought you were saying the villas being added to the Polynesian were available to all, not just DVC members. I thought you were speaking about the bungalows because those are the only structures being added. If you were referring to any of the DVC rooms at the Polynesian, I was told that for the Polynesian DVC rooms you will need to use DVC points to book them and they are not available to be booked by just paying cash for them like you can at other DVC.

I thought Florida timeshare law mandated that a % of the rooms be made available to cash guests.

ryguy

I am surprised that they didn't fill in the quiet pool and build an additional long house. Does anybody really use the quiet pool? Whenever I am there it's empty.

tikiman

I HAVE to assume they've realized their serious laps in judgement, and are putting in some 1-bedrooms. It is absolutely insane to build a DVC resort that didn't have all the standard room configurations.

I thought Florida timeshare law mandated that a % of the rooms be made available to cash guests.

I don't know about Florida law or even the rules of DVC. I just pass along what I am told.

slappy magoo

I think the rule is that the company that builds the timeshare has to retain at least a 2% share in the resort. It's not just so that rooms can be available for cash, but so that renovations and refurbs can occur, the idea being that on any given day or week the company is "occupying" 2% of the rooms. So if they need to close the for renovations, or if some rooms are unexpectedly damaged - burst water pipe or smashed window or whatever - no other owners are inconvenienced, but otherwise they can be rented.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I used it everyday. I actually preferred it as it was quieter than the volcano pool :) No kids!

Another vote here for the quiet pool. Some years ago when I stayed at the Polynesian, I found that the volcano pool was so crowded, and thought that the size of the pool was really too small for such a large resort. I then discovered the quiet pool with fewer guests, and it was very pleasant.

RSoxNo1

Any new pics of the DVC bungalows at the Poly??
Pizza_Hut_Martinsville_Exterior.JPG

worldfanatic

People will complain about the views affected the overwater bungalows, but they will really make the Poly a much more realistically themed resort.
On my one visit to French Polynesia, seeing those out over the water on Bora Bora & Moorea was a highlight (even though we didn't stay in them).
That addition, plus finally having a jacuzzi will make the Poly much more authentic.
As far as the "Pizza Hut" shape,
that's exactly how the majority of those bungalows are built over there.

dgp602

This might seem like a silly question, but I am looking at the photo update posted today and this thought came to mind: Will the people staying in these bungalows be able to jump right off their decks and swim? Are there ladders on the decks to help you climb off? And if you rent a boat ( pontoon boat? ), can you pull it right up to your bungalow and let people on and off?

Sped2424

Besides firework viewing what is the appeal to the over the water dvc rooms? Considering how swimming in the seven seas lagoon is no longer allowed.

Ray B

I just don't get the appeal of staying in these. I have never been to the South Pacific or stayed in an over water bungalow but hope to one day. A big part of the appeal will be privacy and the ability to look at/through the beautiful clear water. Perhaps jump into the water right from my patio. This will have none of that. What's the appeal?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom