PHOTOS - Polynesian Resort DVC construction

MinnieM123

Premium Member

Wrangler-Rick

Just Horsing Around…
Premium Member
Thank you for posting the pictures. What surprised me, was that even if this is a temporary location, why would they not include the Dole Whip machine? When I think of the Polynesian, Dole Whips and Tonga Toast (not together though!) always come to mind. I'm sure the patrons of Captain Cook's will be disappointed; hopefully, this temporary location won't last too long.
I'm guessing that they didn't want to spend the time and money to run water and drain lines to hook-up the unit.

Hoop Raeb

Formerly known as...
Not sure if this has been posted anywhere here yet but just saw it on Twitter.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    278.9 KB · Views: 304

dgp602

Any reports today on possible walls going up around the water feature? I thought I heard it reported yesterday that the water was drained from the fountain and CM's were reportedly seen around the fountain throughout the day taking pictures.....

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Any reports today on possible walls going up around the water feature? I thought I heard it reported yesterday that the water was drained from the fountain and CM's were reportedly seen around the fountain throughout the day taking pictures.....
There are no walls up in the lobby area as of April 18 2014.

flyerjab

Just curious, but if the transformation of pre-existing deluxe buildings into DVC units at the Poly is found to be a success in terms of filling out total room capacity for this particular resort, is this something that TDO will look into for the other resorts? Is this something that could be scheduled for a wing at The Yacht Club? Or one or more buildings at the Grand Floridian after the separate DVC building sells out?

@ParentsOf4 always seems to report such horrendous capacity issues within WDW, I am now wondering if this is a future alternative. Or, will they simply build so many additional DVC resorts, that at some point in the not-to-near future, the cost of staying in the deluxe WDW resorts will be lowered?

MarkTwain

Just curious, but if the transformation of pre-existing deluxe buildings into DVC units at the Poly is found to be a success in terms of filling out total room capacity for this particular resort, is this something that TDO will look into for the other resorts? Is this something that could be scheduled for a wing at The Yacht Club? Or one or more buildings at the Grand Floridian after the separate DVC building sells out?

@ParentsOf4 always seems to report such horrendous capacity issues within WDW, I am now wondering if this is a future alternative. Or, will they simply build so many additional DVC resorts, that at some point in the not-to-near future, the cost of staying in the deluxe WDW resorts will be lowered?

I still don't understand why WDW considers this practice desirable in the first place. I would assume that these rooms being converted, which presumably don't cost more to maintain than any other room on property, are a huge and consistent money-maker for Disney. It's the Polynesian, I'm sure these each of these rooms make hundreds (if not closer to a thousand) dollars a night and almost never go unoccupied. So why they are essentially giving away a lifetime of profits to DVC owners?

Wrangler-Rick

Just Horsing Around…
Premium Member
I still don't understand why WDW considers this practice desirable in the first place. I would assume that these rooms being converted, which presumably don't cost more to maintain than any other room on property, are a huge and consistent money-maker for Disney. It's the Polynesian, I'm sure these each of these rooms make hundreds (if not closer to a thousand) dollars a night and almost never go unoccupied. So why they are essentially giving away a lifetime of profits to DVC owners?
The people in charge now won't be there in a lifetime...

Nick Pappagiorgio

They are only converting one building (Tahiti), which while it has good water views is pretty far away from the GCH. They are tearing down Rapa Nui which I would bet has the "cheapest" rooms in the place considering it has no water views and a meh location right on the parking lot. So I see your point on Tahiti (looks like a pretty good building) but I bet they will have a net gain tearing down RN to make way for a bigger building that people are locked into.

jt04

They are only converting one building (Tahiti), which while it has good water views is pretty far away from the GCH. They are tearing down Rapa Nui which I would bet has the "cheapest" rooms in the place considering it has no water views and a meh location right on the parking lot. So I see your point on Tahiti (looks like a pretty good building) but I bet they will have a net gain tearing down RN to make way for a bigger building that people are locked into.

Agreed.

tikiman

They are not taking down Rapa Nui. It is already in the process of converting the rooms. Now they are adding Tokelau to the list of being converted. They have already informed the staff that does housekeeping on Tokelau that they will be reassigned. Those 3 longhouses will become DVC.

Nick Pappagiorgio

They are not taking down Rapa Nui. It is already in the process of converting the rooms. Now they are adding Tokelau to the list of being converted. They have already informed the staff that does housekeeping on Tokelau that they will be reassigned. Those 3 longhouses will become DVC.
Sorry, I had some old intel.

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia

That's a shame about Tokelau. The room we had there back in June looked pretty good after the refurb they had done. That was my second favorite longhouse after Hawaii.

At first I was a bit bummed about the changes coming to the Poly, but with the way the prices keep going up I doubt we'll be staying there again anyway.

As always, thanks for sharing the latest info @tikiman

Soarin' Over Pgh

THREE whole buildings just for DVC?

I don't have a Poly map available ATM - does anyone know what % of the overall resort is now dedicated to DVC?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom