PHOTOS - New interactive Haunted Mansion queue opens for guest previews today

darthspielberg

You will find that pretty much all of us on here liked the Pooh queue. So that statement doesn't hold much weight...

And it was total of a few hours before people started complaining about parts of that too. It takes a lot to please some of the people on these boards.

Now if Disney placed up cardboard cut-outs of the Hitchhiking ghosts and called it good, then I could see getting upset. They actually put effort into this, and it's target audience (kids) is going to adore it. For those who don't care to enjoy a fun little diversion, I do think you'll be able to skip it (like the "for adults" Areas of the Pooh queue)

WDWGoof07

An excellent plussing of a stellar attraction - good job WDI! All of these elements look like spooky fun, and it sets the right tone for the attraction. I'm anxious to experience this in person.

The Duck

Two options for WDI, each with two results.

1) DO NOTHING.

a) I love this, it's exactly the same as it always was.
b) This is stale, they really should do something.

2) DO SOMETHING

a) I love this, it's cool and new
b) This sucks, it should have stayed as it was.

And so we see that there is no way for them to win this weird four-cornered game.

It is obvious that those involved with this enhancement have a deep appreciation for HM details.

So, they chose number two, DO SOMETHING.

I guess some here and in other places would have either done nothing, or done something different. Until any of us actually work there, we're just going to have to "put up with" decisions made by people who are not us, who apparently care a lot about the attraction, just in a different way than some people expect them to.

Honestly, how do you win in a situation like this?

Well, I'm calling it a win. Them that's complaining, I think they're in the solid minority on this one. Go ahead and walk on by while we all enjoy the little details, the old tombstones back, and more cool stuff at the HM.

We'll know who the downers are, the ones with their fingers in their ears so they can't hear the instruments, facing away from the new queue, pretending it's not there, and being all gloomy-like because that's 'how we're supposed to feel' while lining up for an attraction they've been on four hundred times before and still ride in spite of the abomination just outside their viewing range.

In the meantime, I'll be playing the Ravenscroft organ loudly and enjoying this very cool queue.

:wave::)
Logic on a discussion board? Could it be? :lol: Well, I have to agree with you completely on this one. Besides, the Disney Parks are going to continue changing their attractions time and time again long after we're all gone so what's the use in complaining. 100 years from now, maybe the folks who don't like the new additions can come back and properly haunt the Mansion. Say... That might be pretty cool... :)

FigmentJedi

It's also bothersome the Hitchhikers are given tombstones while they did nothing to take into account the Constance storyline inside.

cblodg

And it was total of a few hours before people started complaining about parts of that too. It takes a lot to please some of the people on these boards.

Now if Disney placed up cardboard cut-outs of the Hitchhiking ghosts and called it good, then I could see getting upset. They actually put effort into this, and it's target audience (kids) is going to adore it. For those who don't care to enjoy a fun little diversion, I do think you'll be able to skip it (like the "for adults" Areas of the Pooh queue)

There in lies a problem though. EVERYTHING is starting to be targeted at kids. I know I'll be trashed for this but, Walt said "You're dead if you aim only for kids..."

I'm waiting to see this in person before passing judgment.

meganwdw

WOW! At first I wanted to ignore the photos/video so that I would be totally surprised for my May 23rd arrival at the World, but I'm so glad I didn't. It looks fabulous. I love how the imagineers have worked in all the classic characters and themes from the ride along w/ some new elements. I have a feeling, though, that the lines are going to be so long that it will be hard to really take everything in. Especially since we'll be there w/ 15month old twins!! I think a sitter and a baby free night at the MK is going to be in order! 9 weeks to go......:wave:

Atomicmickey

Logic on a discussion board? Could it be? :lol: Well, I have to agree with you completely on this one. Besides, the Disney Parks are going to continue changing their attractions time and time again long after we're all gone so what's the use in complaining. 100 years from now, maybe the folks who don't like the new additions can come back and properly haunt the Mansion. Say... That might be pretty cool... :)

You're right, in 100 years, or probably even less, people will be typing (thought-projecting?) messages saying "don't touch my precious HM Queue, it's a CLASSIC!!"

In the short term, why am I dreading the reveal of the new hitchhiking ghosts?

They shouldn't have touched those glad they did it's awesome it's a travesty I won't ride it anymore I'm canceling my AP I just rode it 40 times yesterday and I'm going again today, it's sucktacular, I mean awfulsome, Walt is spinning in his grave and dancing for joy.

My head hurts.:p

darthspielberg

There in lies a problem though. EVERYTHING is starting to be targeted at kids. I know I'll be trashed for this but, Walt said "You're dead if you aim only for kids..."

The videos all show parents having fun with their kids at the attraction. Walt's desire was for that to happen through out all his parks.

It's not just for kids, but kids are going to love it, and the day Disney World stops being a place kids loves, is the day it dies.

lazyboy97o

Why do so many get so offended and annoyed that others dislike a new offering? Reasons have been stated and I think they are totally valid, especially in regards to the build up to the attraction (which has been considered a highlight and was replicated). There are also a lot of attractions where this would make a lot more sense as their queues are typically much longer and slower moving and have a spirit much more fitting.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Why do so many get so offended and annoyed that others dislike a new offering? Reasons have been stated and I think they are totally valid, especially in regards to the build up to the attraction (which has been considered a highlight and was replicated). There are also a lot of attractions where this would make a lot more sense as their queues are typically much longer and slower moving and have a spirit much more fitting.
I can only speak for myself but for me it goes along with the boy who cried wolf. Some, not all, simply seem to hate and will find fault with ever single that Disney does. Just like those that like everything that Disney does I give their opinion little weight as it comes from a predetermined position and not a true critique. This does not really offend me per se, but posts from those members simply get skipped over.

MansionGoer13z

I fully agree with your statement. It seems that the Imagineers for the HM queue expansion were suffering from Phantom Menace Syndrome just like George Lucas has done in the past making that infernal Jar Jar character.

imagineer boy

The videos all show parents having fun with their kids at the attraction. Walt's desire was for that to happen through out all his parks.

It's not just for kids, but kids are going to love it, and the day Disney World stops being a place kids loves, is the day it dies.

And the day it starts being only for kids is the day it dies.

Agreed, I haven't seen a single post on here that says "OMG, teh queueu iS teh SuXorZ!!!1!1" Most of them have been pretty well constructed arguments.

djkidkaz

So for you adults saying it's just for kids, are you telling me you won't touch the musical instruments on the crypt when you walk buy or be thinking of the answers to the poetess' poems while standing there to get in the mansion? What Disney is trying to do is very difficult when you think about it. They have to come up with little interactive things that both a child and adult will be entertained by. And your only standing in front of these interactions for a very short period of time, just a few minutes. So it has to be quick, understood by all ages and then themed to the attraction. As an adult, I'm not only mildly entertained by these elements, which are simple and can be classified as childish since they have to be made for everyone to understand, but it also entertains me because I enjoy watching other people interact and discuss their thoughts. This also opens up new stuff for me to photograph and video on my future trips. So am I super excited to place my hand on a trumpet and hear it play a jingle? Not really. But I'm excited at the fact to just have something new to look at and take pics of on my next trip.

Krack

Yes, before this new queue, kids hated the Haunted Mansion. This queue really saved the attraction from extinction. I hear they were ready to remove it next year if attendance didn't pick up ...

or

... it's been the most popular attraction in any Disney theme park for approximately the last 45 years (with kids, adults, grandparents, pets, APers, first time visitors, boys, girls ...)

EDIT: To be clear, I think that somebody in WDI who is responsible for this Next Gen stuff (particularly in this instance) has forgotten to say to him/herself "What was the original purpose of the queue for these attractions in regard to the overall show". In many cases, these queue's weren't just thrown together. The Haunted Mansion's queue (not unlike Pirates) builds suspense. It invokes an eerie, nervous feeling as you get closer to the Mansion, which becomes even spookier in the Elevator and then dissipates a little as you get on the ride vehicles and almost entirely by the time you hear GGG in the ballroom. It's designed that way. It's called showmanship. These great showmen being acknowledged on the tombstones created the attraction this way for a reason; they knew what they were doing.

Like many other changes over the years (to other attractions, lands, etc) it is obvious that while demonstrating great skill, whoever authorized/designed the changes to this queue either didn't realize they'd be pulling away from the overall "show" of the attraction, by neutralizing the build up of suspense, or didn't care. I think there's a lot of "Can we do it?" here (Answer: yes) and not a lot of "Should we do it?" (Answer: no). This could have been infinitely worse, but overall, it still detracts from the "show" imo. It's Disney surrendering to those with ADD - I understand it to a limited extent in Fantasyland, but not elsewhere.

I'll take all bets that those books are broken within 2 years and that the effects are never fixed. And that the Master Gracey tombstone will be covered in gum.

jmuboy

I didn't see an answer, so hoping someone on the inside will know. But how will the new queue be set up and when when it will be used? Will it be an optional route? Or will the line always go through here when it is complete and fully operational?

Testtrack321

I didn't see an answer, so hoping someone on the inside will know. But how will the new queue be set up and when when it will be used? Will it be an optional route? Or will the line always go through here when it is complete and fully operational?

My understanding is that it will be always used except if any elements are down, then it will be closed off and the main queue will be used.

Magicot

These new effects are top-notch and highly innovative. Their execution is fantastic. And the humor and silliness is very reflective of Marc Davis' graveyard in the attraction. However, the delicate, quiet suspense and sense of wonder that is essential to building up the story has been tarnished here. Basically, the climax of the attraction has been moved to the beginning of the experience. For example, what would Tower of Terror be like if say.. in the garden queue, you were surrounded by large eyeballs, ghostly figures, and large ticking clocks? (Yes, you do hear people screaming from up above in the elevators, but it creates that uneasy feeling of suspense- similar to the howl at HM and the eerieness that existed before.) Again, these effects, the artistry, and execution are amazing.. but the location is baffling and unfortunate in the long run.

WDWGoof07

EDIT: To be clear, I think that somebody in WDI who is responsible for this Next Gen stuff (particularly in this instance) has forgotten to say to him/herself "What was the original purpose of the queue for these attractions in regard to the overall show". In many cases, these queue's weren't just thrown together. The Haunted Mansion's queue (not unlike Pirates) builds suspense. It invokes an eerie, nervous feeling as you get closer to the Mansion, which becomes even spookier in the Elevator and then dissipates a little as you get on the ride vehicles and almost entirely by the time you hear GGG in the ballroom. It's designed that way. It's called showmanship. These great showmen being acknowledged on the tombstones created the attraction this way for a reason; they knew what they were doing.
From what I have seen of it, the new queue actually enhances the suspense building. In keeping with the mythology of the attraction, the ghosts do not visibly materialize at this point, but these new elements make you feel the presence of something otherworldly in a spooky, fun way without, in most cases, explicitly prompting any participation. The organ that surprises you with sound when it appears to be made of stone is one example. The shifting books in the crypt of the poetess have the same effect as the Leota tombstone but on a more conspicuous scale. If the busts are anything like the one concept that was play-tested, they'll only talk to you if you get close to them, and then they send you on a sort of murder mystery, for which I'm curious to see the payoff you'll get for solving it.

The new interactive elements also maintain the clever, creepy humor that is the hallmark of the attraction. The new busts, graves, and epitaphs certainly attest to that. The leaking and bubbling sea captain's tomb is brilliant. It does what the old animators-turned-Imagineers did best: making a humorous sight gag, of the kind seen in cartoons, tangible and living in three dimensions.

Since this is still in the testing phase, there is still time for the Imagineers to address some things. The unfinished poem game and "ghost-writing" effect are clever, but it would be an improvement to keep the poetess silent. Maybe some of the musical effects could be put on a delay timer to introduce an element of surprise (it would fun to see an unsuspecting guest jump up after nonchalantly leaning on the crypt or organ) and combat herd mentality, but, now that I think about it, it's actually fine the way it is (like an unseen band is playing ghostly tunes).

Overall, I believe this is a fantastic plussing to a classic Disney experience. Good job, WDI.

RSoxNo1

Disney parks and attractions are not supposed to have any target audience at all. Walt's hope for his parks and his purpose for making Disneyland in the first place was to create a place where the entire family could go to have fun and enjoy themselves. The modern-day Disney has lost sight of that.

That quote has been misinterpreted beyond it's original intent. While I won't profess to know exactly what Walt wanted the parks to be, we have evidence that he was not looking for every attraction to appeal to and accommodate all people. What he was looking for was that there would be enough attractions for everyone, and that the parks as a whole would appeal to the entire family.

Take the Matterhorn for example, this was Walt's idea - was this attraction for everyone?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom