PHOTOS - New Harambe Theater district

mm52200

Absolutely splendid - LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE it! My only concern which has always been is the woman who sings the circle of life song (depending on who does it) seems to loose breathe at parts when there should be more emotion. There is one lady I have on video from 2009 she was absolute perfection. Also, the heavier set guy that was always in the old show is now muscular in the new show- I do not like that. Otherwise - great
There are multiple people cast in the same roles. The male who sings Be Prepared is supposed to be muscular, there have been several throughout the years. In fact his character says that his name means masculine. There have been a few men who played the part that have just been big, not necessarily muscular, and they could still be cast.

Rob562

One thing I noticed in the video of the show is that they built the theater in such a way that they can continue the practice of seating Guests at the back of the Giraffe section during the first few minutes, if necessary. (You can see the flashlight of the usher in the background)

They've also built the approach to that side door in such a way that there's a light baffle (most likely there's a hallway leading there), because there isn't sunlight streaming in a distracting manner like in the old theater.

I also noticed that there's a flame jet from the floor at the start of the torch dance that I don't remember from the old show, and there are (presumably fake) flame torches in the corners of the seating areas during that segment that I don't recall, either.

-Rob

Last edited:

jt04

The new section is perfect. Kudos to Imagineering!

Love the rebar fence, new boat, canon etc. Seems inevitable a 'touring boat' experience will be added to DAK someday though the park may not have reached that stage of theming yet.

And love how the trail disappears under the bridge on the still unopened area. Very cool!

xstech25

Don't know how many of you guys were lined up outside the theater really early, but the manager with the blue shirt that came out and walked the line thanking everyone for being there was my sons college roomate for a year [shameless plug]. Not all Disney management is evil ;)

Tom Morrow

I honestly was not expecting anything near this scale. This whole time I honestly thought it was just going to be a path to the new theater with minimal theming and some trees and walls to block the old backstage area. Not this - this effectively doubles the size of Harambe.

Also, DAK's theming really is very underrated. I love that Asia is the fictional kingdom of Anandapur and Africa is the village of Harambe. Both locales are packed with detail and immersion, but unfortunately will never get as much appreciation as something related to an IP or even New Fantasyland, which is very pretty but there is very little substance to the theming.

DonaldDoleWhip

Saw the show this afternoon, and I agree with the comments that Harambe's extension is seriously impressive. As someone else mentioned, it looks like it's been there all along, and it adds a notable amount of 'walking space' to Africa.

Also, the new queue for FotLK is great. I was surprised by how many details there were to take in (and I was using FP+). Between this and the addition of spiked dole whips at Tamu Tamu, I would say Africa's become a significantly stronger land over the past 10 days (and it was already one of AK's best!).

Kman101

The theming is a huge reason I've always really enjoyed Animal Kingdom and just don't understand why so many dismiss the park. The theming is incredible and top notch (blah to Dinoland though). I can enjoy just walking around, the trails, the safari, the top notch shows (Lion King and Nemo are very well done), and Everest is very fun. It does need some more things to do but the park is really, overall, extremely well themed. Rivers of Light should really compliment it, if done well.

jt04

I honestly was not expecting anything near this scale. This whole time I honestly thought it was just going to be a path to the new theater with minimal theming and some trees and walls to block the old backstage area. Not this - this effectively doubles the size of Harambe.

Also, DAK's theming really is very underrated. I love that Asia is the fictional kingdom of Anandapur and Africa is the village of Harambe. Both locales are packed with detail and immersion, but unfortunately will never get as much appreciation as something related to an IP or even New Fantasyland, which is very pretty but there is very little substance to the theming.

Not sure I agree. As DAK continues to be developed the average guest will better get the concept. Especially once Pandora opens and then hopefully Dinoland gets fixed.

Disney has a great opportunity to put FL on par with that of any other existing castle park and I can't believe they would not do so for the 50th. Disney is to the tortoise was Uni is to the hare. Or something.

hpyhnt 1000

Agree completely with this. In many ways the Asia and Africa sections feel sort of like a more gritty, realistic, updated World Showcase. I always think Imagineering is at its best when it takes inspiration from the real world to create themed lands rather than trying to copy the landscape or sets of a movie.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom